• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#77703  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:22 pm
This is “The Bluebloods” guy (discussed on the “Smart Money” thread). No surprise that he, his co-host (an FCS HBCU position Coach) along with all, or almost all, of the oh-so-knowledgeable FCS pundits, is picking WCU.

The Catamounts are definitely dressed in their ball gown, wearing glass slippers, and riding in their pumpkin.

No. 4 Furman (5-1) @ No. 8 Western Carolina (5-1)

Kickoff: 1:30 p.m. CT (ESPN+)

Western Carolina has become the Cinderella story of the 2023 season as the Catamounts have soared to a Top-10 ranking after five consecutive wins. Running back Desmond Reid (847 Rushing Yards; 12 TDs) is putting together an All-American season. Quarterback Cole Gonzales (1,532 Passing Yards; 14 TDs) has taken a massive step forward as a sophomore and is building chemistry with an electric receiving core, led by Censere Lee (421 Receiving Yards; 6 TDs).

Furman entered the season as preseason favorites in the SoCon and has lived up to the hype over the first six games. Running back Dominic Roberto (394 Rushing Yards; 6 TDs) and quarterback Tyler Huff (1,057 Passing Yards; 10 Total TDs) are the leaders of the offense, which needs a massive game against the Catamounts. The defense has done an excellent job against the run, allowing only 3.1 yards per carry, but the key will be the secondary forcing turnovers this weekend (7 INTs).

This is one of the biggest games of the 2023 FCS season and could determine which SoCon team earns a Top-8 seed in the FCS playoffs. The Catamounts offense has been one of the most explosive in the country, while the Furman offense has struggled to create explosive plays. I expect Gonzales and an underrated Western Carolina offensive line to find a way to knock off the Paladins this weekend.

Prediction: Western Carolina (41-38)
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #77704  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:39 pm
The Cats wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:42 pm
I'm sure you guys wouldn't want to miss this...

FUBeAR was EXTREMELY disappointed in what he heard here.

This whole thing is presented by the North Carolina Pork Council and NC BBQ was not mentioned until the very end of the video.

But that’s not the worst part. The host, who said he’s based in FUBeAR’s hometown - the Capital City, the City of Oaks - Raleigh NC, said, without flinching, “there are 2 types of BBQ in NC - Eastern NC BBQ and Western BBQ.”

THIS IS BLASPHEMY!

There are at least 3 types of NC BBQ - Eastern (the best), Western (the worst), and Lexington-style (interesting, can be excellent). Some might even say that NC can claim the mustard-based style that really comes out of Columbia & the SC Low-Country, but FUBeAR does not subscribe to that school of thought.

This host did confess that he’s a PA native and lived in FL, so some might give him a pass for his transgression, but given his representation of NC Pork and that NC BBQ (Eastern, at least) is a Religious pursuit, FUBeAR, like The Dude, cannot abide.

ADMIN’s - Can we get this video and its dangerous misinformation stricken from the site?
hypercycloid liked this
 #77706  by cavedweller2
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:50 pm
Did he mention or talk about Collard Greens?
 #77707  by The Cats
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:26 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Cats wrote:

This whole thing is presented by the North Carolina Pork Council and NC BBQ was not mentioned until the very end of the video.

But that’s not the worst part. The host, who said he’s based in FUBeAR’s hometown - the Capital City, the City of Oaks - Raleigh NC, said, without flinching, “there are 2 types of BBQ in NC - Eastern NC BBQ and Western BBQ.”

[bT]here are at least 3 types of NC BBQ - Eastern (the best), Western (the worst), and Lexington-style[/b] (interesting, can be excellent). ts dangerous misinformation stricken from the site?
As a North Carolina native, I can positively tell you there are only two types of BBQ that North Carolina natives claim. Eastern style and Lexington Style (sometimes referred to as Western style).

In the western part of the state, the Lexington style of barbecue features the pork shoulder, while BBQ in the eastern part of the state cook the whole hog.

Where the Eastern and Western (Lexington) traditions diverge, is that with Lexington style, the sauce is fortified with ketchup, and the meat is exclusively the pork shoulder and it's generally served on a bun with slaw. With Eastern style, the whole hog will end up in the mix, served with hush puppies and coleslaw.
 #77708  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:31 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:50 pm
Did he mention or talk about Collard Greens?
No - he’s obviously a Communist Putin-Lover
 #77709  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:03 pm
The Cats wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:26 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Cats wrote:

[bT]here are at least 3 types of NC BBQ - Eastern (the best), Western (the worst), and Lexington-style[/b] (interesting, can be excellent). ts dangerous misinformation stricken from the site?
As a North Carolina native, I can positively tell you there are only two types of BBQ that North Carolina natives claim. Eastern style and Lexington Style (sometimes referred to as Western style).

In the western part of the state, the Lexington style of barbecue features the pork shoulder, while BBQ in the eastern part of the state cook the whole hog.

Where the Eastern and Western (Lexington) traditions diverge, is that with Lexington style, the sauce is fortified with ketchup, and the meat is exclusively the pork shoulder and it's generally served on a bun with slaw. With Eastern style, the whole hog will end up in the mix, served with hush puppies and coleslaw.
That’s true …

…in a perfect world Chamber of Commerce world, but the people in the western part of NC have lived impure lives and they’ve allowed the heathen pagans from the upstate of SC and North GA to spread their thick ketchupy goo into OUR once-pure State.

As FUBeAR initially commented, the good people of Eastern NC have been able to effectively repel the mustardy interlopers from the midlands & coast of SC so you don’t see, for example, a Maurice’s PiggyPark popping up in Laurinburg. And, if you’re in Salisbury or even Statesville, you’re gonna get that good, thin, light red sauce for that pork shoulder….because the people in NC’s Piedmont have also remained pure.

But…the unholy Western Carolina natives have backslid and lain with the tomato pushers. If you walk into a BBQ place in Hendersonville or Hayesville, NC you might have to buy a window scraper from the co-located filling station in order to scrape the sticky goo off your hands after you’ve choked down whatever it was they drowned in that burgundy-colored syrup gum.

No sir - in NC now, there are 3 kinds of BBQ - Western (which they (whoever they is) need to stop calling Lexington …cuz it ain’t), Lexington, and Eastern.

Western NC sinners just need to own up to their wicked ways and admit the truth
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU3 liked this
 #77711  by FurmAlum
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:30 pm
As a native North Carolinian I always bring a whole jar of "barbeque slaw" back with me to Tennessee when we visit. I prefer the Lexington style but I also like the Eastern BBQ too. We used to play Kannapolis, Concord, Salisbury, Statesville, Lexington, Thomasville, and Asheboro in high school sports back in the day. So there was a lot of BBQ consumed in the Barbeque Belt by the fans on those road trips.

One of my favorite BBQ joints was called Winks BBQ in Salisbury but I'm not sure it is still open. The all-time favorite was up Hwy 64 between Asheboro and Chapel Hill but I can't think of the name of it. The Blue something? It closed many years ago. Anybody remember what it was called?
The Cats, FUBeAR liked this
 #77712  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
As a native North Carolinian I always bring a whole jar of "barbeque slaw" back with me to Tennessee when we visit. I prefer the Lexington style but I also like the Eastern BBQ too. We used to play Kannapolis, Concord, Salisbury, Statesville, Lexington, Thomasville, and Asheboro in high school sports back in the day. So there was a lot of BBQ consumed in the Barbeque Belt by the fans on those road trips.

One of my favorite BBQ joints was called Winks BBQ in Salisbury but I'm not sure it is still open. The all-time favorite was up Hwy 64 between Asheboro and Chapel Hill but I can't think of the name of it. The Blue something? It closed many years ago. Anybody remember what it was called?
Don’t know that one…and FUBeAR’s taste is your mirror image - prefer Eastern, but so like the (real) Lexington-style also. When going to/from on 85 to see Mama FUBeAR in Raleigh, we found a place near Lexington we loved. Had to go into the country, thru fields, then finally thru a large trailer park neighborhood to get to it, but it was FANTASTIC. Closed this year though :cry:

But FUBeAR’s Eastern NC Mecca is in Goldsboro - Wilber’s - closed during Covid, but was sold and reopened. Haven’t been since under new owners, but they are supposed to be doing everything EXACTLY as the previous family did.

https://www.wilbersbbq.com/
 #77713  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:52 pm
SelfServer Sam Herder has joined in the chorus…

No. 4 Furman at No. 8 Western Carolina

Huge SoCon title and seed implications in this one. The winner has a nice path to a Top 4 playoff seed if they go on to handle business, finish unbeaten vs. the FCS, and own 2-3 ranked wins.

My gut was telling me Furman earlier this week. My thinking was the Paladins will be more ready for the moment with a veteran squad that is used to high rankings and games with big implications. And I thought Furman could grind down WCU’s defense and control the clock and tempo of the game.

I’ve since changed my mind. Furman may be able to find success on the ground with Tyler Huff and Dominic Roberto. But I don’t know if it can keep pace with WCU.

The Catamounts are scoring 41.3 points per game, passing for 309.8 yards a game and rushing for 222. Cole Gonzales is lighting it up at QB with great weapons like Censere Lee and PFF’s top FCS WR AJ Colombo. But the ground game is excellent as well. Desmond Reid, who is listed No. 1 on the depth chart after leaving the game two weeks ago with an injury, is a top RB in the FCS with 847 rushing yards and 10 TDs. An unheralded part of WCU is a great offensive line that is graded as PFF’s 11th-best run-blocking unit in the FCS.

The OL goes:
6’6″ 315 lbs
6’5″ 320 lbs
6’2″ 295 lbs
6’2″ 330 lbs
6’8″ 310 lbs

Couple that offensive firepower with what should be an electric home environment, and beating WCU on the road will just be too big of an uphill battle for Furman.

Prediction: WCU 35-31
 #77715  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:29 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 pm
I dunno bro. Defense wins championships bro.

WCU defense not their strength . . .
Offensive stats ‘buy’ clicks & followers.

These guys ain’t dumb
 #77716  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:32 pm
Away | Home | Time | What You’ll See
Furman | WCU | 2:30P | Enough has already been said. More than enough.

Final Score: Furman 34 - WCU 10
 #77717  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:12 pm
FUBeAR coming in strong! I think we are prepared to get after their run game. Samford prepared us for pace and passing. I need a few more updates for a score prediction.
FUBeAR liked this
 #77720  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:40 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Don’t know that one…and FUBeAR’s taste is your mirror image - prefer Eastern, but so like the (real) Lexington-style also. When going to/from on 85 to see Mama FUBeAR in Raleigh, we found a place near Lexington we loved. Had to go into the country, thru fields, then finally thru a large trailer park neighborhood to get to it, but it was FANTASTIC. Closed this year though :cry:

But FUBeAR’s Eastern NC Mecca is in Goldsboro - Wilber’s - closed during Covid, but was sold and reopened. Haven’t been since under new owners, but they are supposed to be doing everything EXACTLY as the previous family did.

https://www.wilbersbbq.com/
There is only one. BULLOCKS BBQ. Durham NC.

Everyone from ROy Williams to ELVIS (!!!!) to Joe Biden to Christian Laettner ( who used to borrow money to buy a paper from my uncle - no NIL crap then) to Joe Namath to Tom SElleck to Ronald Reagan to Lucille Ball (!!! ) to Joe Theisman - apparently a bbq afficianado as he I have seen his pic at others in SC too - to FUs own Amy Grant and SCs own chubby checker. Tons of NY Yankees from the heyday. Just shocking the people have made that pilgrimage. David Letterman…

Please tell me you have been there !?

https://www.bullocks-bbq.com/

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.