FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 am
I wish the SoCon and maybe all of FCS would agree to count these games as forfeits just to mess with them. After all, these ARE forfeits. One team is ready and the other is a no show.

I also hope somebody at least threatens loudly to take legal action. The “the SEC made me do it” argument is only valid if your school voted against it. I might even accuse them of conspiracy to defraud because that’s what it is. Anyway I hope we mess with them.

I guess we’re gonna find out how many programs can’t survive without a money game. I think that notion is exaggerated or at least I hope it is.
None of that is correct.

These are no more forfeits than it was when Colgate canceled on us with a pending hurricane or we bought out Delaware to play Missouri.

What legal action would you suggest? The entire reason the SEC has made the decision it did is to foreclose legal action. They sacrificed some big money games to avoid having to be sued by three dozen or more different schools for breach of contract.

I don't specifically know how each conference works, but they are a confederation of teams that make decisions based on a unified structure. I'm sure USC wants to play Clemson, but the conference decision is the one that matters.
It was reasonable for Colgate to fear coming to a state threatened by a hurricane. They are Yankees and don’t understand such things. But isn’t it absurd to assert that UT would be endangered by allowing Furman to come and play on their field but not endangered by letting Florida, UGA or LSU come and play? A game is a game. There is no force majeure argument because such forces do not recognize conference affiliations.

The other defense in the contract is if cancellation is forced by the SEC. The way I understand it, the decision was made by a vote of AD’s. I assume UT voted to screw us. So I’m not sure they can argue that they were forced to cancel when they colluded to make sure they would be forced.

They are just assuming correctly that nobody will force the issue legally for fear of being blackballed and no longer being allowed to whore themselves out to the SEC. Our lawyers could at least mess with them if we weren’t chicken.

As for forfeits, that’s in the eye of the beholder. But most of the time in most sports, games etc for hundreds of years its been accepted that if a contest is scheduled and somebody chooses not to show up just because he doesn’t want to, he didn’t cancel, he forfeited. Calling them forfeits is only a silly gesture (an accurate silly gesture) but it’s the kind of thing that can give the average SEC fan apoplexy. So go FU we’re 1-0. The Vols are 0-4.
Maybe we should sue the SEC and not UT? I don't see how they can cancel the Furman game while playing 10 SEC games? The "safety" argument is full of s***. Its about the money.

As for the SoCon. I don't see any logical reason not to go ahead and play the season. We used to do it before big money games were played. Why could we get it done then and not now?

The CAA is crazy. Cancelling the season and then saying each team can go out and schedule games independently is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

We should play the season, collect from gate receipts, season tickets, concessions, sponsorships, TV revenue, and whatever else the marketing people can think of, borrow a little money if necessary until next year when we can schedule 2 FBS games to make up the difference. A little CREATIVE THINKING is called for here if anybody has the balls to do it.

By the way the golf business is all of a sudden booming this year because golf is an OUTDOOR sport and people have nothing else to do. And its being done safely. Football is an OUTDOOR sport. I bet more people would come to our SoCon games than we might think and could still social distance if all space was utilized. A lot of them aren't going to be going to ACC and SEC games because of the stadium restrictions.

We need people in leadership positions that can find a way to get it done instead of making excuses why it couldn't be done. I have confidence in JD. Not so sure about ED, but would like to hope that she can too.

The contract is with Tennessee, not the SEC.

You do not see any logical reason not to play a season? Not that you disagree with the decision not to, but you can't even come up with an argument why it's a risky proposition?

Do you really need someone to explain why golf and football are different?
JohnKX512 liked this
 #30303  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I wish the SoCon and maybe all of FCS would agree to count these games as forfeits just to mess with them. After all, these ARE forfeits. One team is ready and the other is a no show.

I also hope somebody at least threatens loudly to take legal action. The “the SEC made me do it” argument is only valid if your school voted against it. I might even accuse them of conspiracy to defraud because that’s what it is. Anyway I hope we mess with them.

I guess we’re gonna find out how many programs can’t survive without a money game. I think that notion is exaggerated or at least I hope it is.
None of that is correct.

These are no more forfeits than it was when Colgate canceled on us with a pending hurricane or we bought out Delaware to play Missouri.

What legal action would you suggest? The entire reason the SEC has made the decision it did is to foreclose legal action. They sacrificed some big money games to avoid having to be sued by three dozen or more different schools for breach of contract.

I don't specifically know how each conference works, but they are a confederation of teams that make decisions based on a unified structure. I'm sure USC wants to play Clemson, but the conference decision is the one that matters.
It was reasonable for Colgate to fear coming to a state threatened by a hurricane. They are Yankees and don’t understand such things. But isn’t it absurd to assert that UT would be endangered by allowing Furman to come and play on their field but not endangered by letting Florida, UGA or LSU come and play? A game is a game. There is no force majeure argument because such forces do not recognize conference affiliations.

The other defense in the contract is if cancellation is forced by the SEC. The way I understand it, the decision was made by a vote of AD’s. I assume UT voted to screw us. So I’m not sure they can argue that they were forced to cancel when they colluded to make sure they would be forced.

They are just assuming correctly that nobody will force the issue legally for fear of being blackballed and no longer being allowed to whore themselves out to the SEC. Our lawyers could at least mess with them if we weren’t chicken.

As for forfeits, that’s in the eye of the beholder. But most of the time in most sports, games etc for hundreds of years its been accepted that if a contest is scheduled and somebody chooses not to show up just because he doesn’t want to, he didn’t cancel, he forfeited. Calling them forfeits is only a silly gesture (an accurate silly gesture) but it’s the kind of thing that can give the average SEC fan apoplexy. So go FU we’re 1-0. The Vols are 0-4.
Maybe we should sue the SEC and not UT? I don't see how they can cancel the Furman game while playing 10 SEC games? The "safety" argument is full of s***. Its about the money.

As for the SoCon. I don't see any logical reason not to go ahead and play the season. We used to do it before big money games were played. Why could we get it done then and not now?

The CAA is crazy. Cancelling the season and then saying each team can go out and schedule games independently is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

We should play the season, collect from gate receipts, season tickets, concessions, sponsorships, TV revenue, and whatever else the marketing people can think of, borrow a little money if necessary until next year when we can schedule 2 FBS games to make up the difference. A little CREATIVE THINKING is called for here if anybody has the balls to do it.

By the way the golf business is all of a sudden booming this year because golf is an OUTDOOR sport and people have nothing else to do. And its being done safely. Football is an OUTDOOR sport. I bet more people would come to our SoCon games than we might think and could still social distance if all space was utilized. A lot of them aren't going to be going to ACC and SEC games because of the stadium restrictions.

We need people in leadership positions that can find a way to get it done instead of making excuses why it couldn't be done. I have confidence in JD. Not so sure about ED, but would like to hope that she can too.

You do not see any logical reason not to play a season? Not that you disagree with the decision not to, but you can't even come up with an argument why it's a risky proposition?

We are allowed to spew a little BS on a fan website. Don't take everything so serious. So the contract is with Tennessee. They cancelled the game, so they broke the contract. So they should be sued and made to pay us the $500,000. The opposing counsel will refer to the contract that has a "pandemic" clause and an SEC mandate clause. I've read it this morning on my phone. It's posted on one of the UT Sports Websites. So we would most likely lose. But that doesn't change the fact that the selfish bastards weaseled out of a signed contract on a technicality and should be called out for it. They are in the right, legally, but suffer from a lack of respect for the FCS and the football world in general. And I would pay their asses back if I could figure out a way. And I agree with you that they were ripe for an upset.

My argument for playing the season is its not that risky. College kids are healthy and most of them are going to get it anyway and recover if school is in session and college kids be college kids. Heck, it seems unrisky enough that the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 10 plan to play their seasons. Why not the SoCon?

Believe it or not I do understand the difference between football and golf. My point was, since it is outdoors, and if the fans can be spaced apart, I think it could be done with minimal risk. The SEC and all those other conferences are going to do it!! As for the players getting close and physical with one another, that's already going to happen at practice. There is some risk, but with all the protocols that are going to be implemented, the risk, in my opinion is an acceptable risk. The players want to play. If a certain player didn't feel comfortable and wanted to sit out the season, that should be perfectly O.K.

Cancelling the entire season is not going to change anything as far as containing the virus is concerned. As for the economic impact I would have to defer to the people on the inside. It seems to me that cancelling would be more expensive than playing since we have to honor scholarships and pay the coaches.

So I stand by my recommendation to find a way to play instead of finding an excuse not to play.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30304  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

None of that is correct.

Help us understand tortious interference, counselor, and its relevance or lack of, in this contemplated action vis a vis the SEC & Furman’s contract with the University of Tennessee.

FUBeAR envisions the SEC stroking a check for $1.5M made payable to FU with #FUATT in the memo line

https://www.nashvillebusinesslitigatio ... nterferen/
 #30305  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

None of that is correct.

Help us understand tortious interference, counselor, and its relevance or lack of, in this contemplated action vis a vis the SEC & Furman’s contract with the University of Tennessee.

FUBeAR envisions the SEC stroking a check for $1.5M made payable to FU with #FUATT in the memo line

That argument exists. Tortious interference will often require a showing that the defendant (in theory, the SEC) interfered with Furman's contract with Tennessee with some improper motive.

The typical tortious interference case doesn't really fit here, though. The SEC, though their decision, canceled some 30-40 non conference football games. It is not as though they are singling out Furman or intentionally trying to force a breach of that contract.

The SEC wrinkle is a different view of it, but these contract related issues are playing out all over the country right now - particularly in commercial leases. I do not believe any of these agreements really contemplate a global pandemic.
 #30307  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

None of that is correct.

That argument exists. Tortious interference will often require a showing that the defendant (in theory, the SEC) interfered with Furman's contract with Tennessee with some improper motive.

The typical tortious interference case doesn't really fit here, though. The SEC, though their decision, canceled some 30-40 non conference football games. It is not as though they are singling out Furman or intentionally trying to force a breach of that contract.

The SEC wrinkle is a different view of it, but these contract related issues are playing out all over the country right now - particularly in commercial leases. I do not believe any of these agreements really contemplate a global pandemic.
if u read the link I included, the state of TN has been very liberal with their interpretation of malice/bad intent. The article says they don’t really have to have to have had bad intent; just not caring is enough to support that pillar of the plaintiffs’ cases.

So what if it was 30-40 games; maybe there is a class action opportunity here.

And I would argue that they DEFINITELY intended to force a breach. Seems to FUBeAR to be prima facie that they did so. They f’in mandated it.
 #30309  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 pm
If legislation moves forward with Clemson and USC and that game is played, it then becomes breach of contract...That means if even one non-conference game is played, the SEC schools would be required to pay out those contracts....Legally, then Furman and Wofford both have arguments, and the other SoCon schools playing SEC schools, or whomever...https://www.foxcarolina.com/coronavirus ... FXyJnKDqMY
FurmAlum liked this
 #30310  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm
It seems significant to me that the SEC’s decision was reached by a vote. It wasn’t some edict from a commissioner or board or something forcing schools to cancel against their will. The schools in effect petitioned the SEC to force them to cancel games for the sole purpose of saving money. Pandemic shmandemic. The pandemic did not make playing impossible or impractical. If it did, they would have to cancel all games. They know they did wrong. Their lawyers know they did wrong, and they know any judge who follows football at all knows they did wrong. If we mess with them I bet they’ll settle.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30311  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm
It seems significant to me that the SEC’s decision was reached by a vote. It wasn’t some edict from a commissioner or board or something forcing schools to cancel against their will. The schools in effect petitioned the SEC to force them to cancel games for the sole purpose of saving money. Pandemic shmandemic. The pandemic did not make playing impossible or impractical. If it did, they would have to cancel all games. They know they did wrong. Their lawyers know they did wrong, and they know any judge who follows football at all knows they did wrong. If we mess with them I bet they’ll settle.
Damn right. In the article posted by SoCon John "The SEC announced that its member universities would play a conference only football schedule this fall as part of a plan to reduce the possible transmission of COVID-19."

Really! They can play 10 games safely but the other 4 are unsafe? What bulls***. At least they could have told the truth about why they cancelled. It's about the $$$$$$$.
apaladin, FUBeAR liked this
 #30315  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:22 pm
What a bunch of crap... the dumbasses don’t know less than capacity makes it a safer environment for fans during a pandemic...I don’t have to be a scientist or epidemiologist...I just have to read the tea leaves like a witch doctor to see that something doesn’t sound right about this...I get it’s a pandemic but it’s no less safe...it’s less profitable...anyone with half a brain see that.
 #30316  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 pm
Channel 4 said tonight that the UT/FU contract did have outs including a pandemic, so looks like we are screwed. Jason Donnelly said they have had good communication with UT regarding possible compensation and rescheduling. Expect an announcement next week from the SoCon regarding the season.
 #30317  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:39 pm
If I were a lawyer I’d be making sure every game contract with SEC teams had the same verbiage...If not, in my opinion that’s enough to make the case it really had nothing to do with this...And if it’s an SEC decision, that contract is bogus...Tennessee is an SEC member...This isn’t James Madison in a conference that bailed on them...they aren’t protected when it’s a league decision.
 #30318  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 pm
Why did the ADs have a vote if the individual game contract matters...the pandemic affected the whole country...thus the whole SEC...not we are fine Sept 26 but not fine three weeks before...that won’t hold up... and when you use a word like “pandemic” which has affected the nation for many more than three weeks, wouldn’t one think it almost self defeating for an individual school to make that term relative to a situation that best suited them...Yeah, a lot of businesses wish they could have opened with game contracts like this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by FUATT

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:38 pm

User avatar TV

by MNORM

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by furpop16

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.