• Quarles

#48644  by AstroDin
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:50 am
Based on a lead FuBear posted a while back on AGS… if you want to know the coach's salaries at Furman and Wofford for that matter you can find some elements of info to base a pretty good idea of compensation.

I say this in relation to GQ's salary at ETSU. Based on this public info CCH and Conklin at Wofford are paid sustainably more than GQ. I only bring this up to say that with the three million dollar donations to the program Furman appears to be compensating coaches at or near the top of FCS schools.
apaladin liked this
 #48657  by Jasper
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:41 pm
You get what you pay for. That is the reason both coaches have such great records
 #48693  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:52 am
Jasper wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:41 pm
You get what you pay for. That is the reason both coaches have such great records
 #48694  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am
"That's the kind of sentence that when you hear it, your brain comes to a screeching halt. And the left hand side of the brain looks at the right hand side and goes, 'It's dark in here, and we may die.'"

- Lewis Black
FUwolfpacker, FUBeAR liked this
 #48697  by Yadkin
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am
"That's the kind of sentence that when you hear it, your brain comes to a screeching halt. And the left hand side of the brain looks at the right hand side and goes, 'It's dark in here, and we may die.'"

- Lewis Black
That sentence is most likely the manifestation of a personal grudge being exercised, so to speak.
 #48717  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:01 pm
CCH just finished his 4th and 5th season, both in 2021. He is 31-23 so far- not bad.
With 2 freshman qbs in 2019 ( and without coach Chronic for certain “fans”)he won 8 games.
To beat a dead horse, with the unexpected transfer out of a QB in 2020, and at the end of 2020 recruiting season- and a transfer in of a qb that for non-football related reasons wasn’t able to play, we ended up with 1 scholly qb for the “spring”season of 2021. And due to the limited qb status this spring, there was an similarly limited playbook, and he went 3-4. In the fall of 2021, with 2 scholly qbs (but one a freshman who missed preseason due to Covid), and playing against “AAU” teams in the Socon, he went 6-5.
To look at his record as a whole, while it is not what he or we want, a lot of coaches would be glad to have it.
To only focus on the 2021 results without understanding the context is the option some “fans” can choose, but real fans understand the odd combination of challenges this staff faced in 2021.
This year could be a challenge again with just one experienced qb on scholly. But if Jace stays healthy, with 4-5 years of Jace and Carson at qb, I am optimistic about what this team will do. FUATT
DeepPurple liked this
 #48721  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:41 pm
When you lay it all out like that, it’s actually worse than I thought. But at least we appear sorta stable.
 #48723  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:41 pm
When you lay it all out like that, it’s actually worse than I thought. But at least we appear sorta stable.

Good thing this forum wasn't around in the mid-90s.

Not sure we could have all survived hearing the weeping and gnashing of teeth as Bobby Johnson went 28-26 in his first 54 games. Oh, and he lost 5 of the last 6 games in 1998, including losing all of Furman's big games that season.

Bobby Johnson was 30-27 his first five seasons.

His teams would go on to win 30 of the next 39 games they played.
 #48724  by din23
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:15 pm
Oh, but it was! I believe the original UFFP began in 96 or 97, right Stumpy?
 #48728  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:27 pm
FYI- when i said AAU teams, i meant to imply the teams where coaches get the best talent available. In other words, better talented teams than we would normally play before the transfer portal took over college sports. It was not meant to imply high school level talent.
FYI, recent college HOF inductee Coach Sheridan was 0-5 his second season as head coach. This board would have had him for breakfast.
 #48730  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:39 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:27 pm
FYI- when i said AAU teams, i meant to imply the teams where coaches get the best talent available. In other words, better talented teams than we would normally play before the transfer portal took over college sports. It was not meant to imply high school level talent.
FYI, recent college HOF inductee Coach Sheridan was 0-5 his second season as head coach. This board would have had him for breakfast.
Not just 0-5. 0-5 with 2 losses to in-state NAIA Teams.

G Date Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L T Streak
1 Sep 8, 1979 @ Clemson ACC L 0 21 0 1 0 L 1
2 Sep 15, 1979 Presbyterian Non-Major L 10 17 0 2 0 L 2
3 Sep 22, 1979 Chattanooga Southern L 14 45 0 3 0 L 3
4 Sep 29, 1979 East Tennessee State Southern L 24 28 0 4 0 L 4
5 Oct 6, 1979 @ Wofford Non-Major L 17 27 0 5 0 L 5

No message boards, but the Local Alums & Townies didn’t mind letting us know what they thought of our Head Coach & Coaching Staff if they caught us wearing any FU Football gear around town during those 5 weeks…and a few more after.

Worked out OK. Enshrinement as a Coach into the College Football Hall of Fame is decent.
 #48734  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:45 am
College football, more than most sports, seems to encourage fans to seek fans to push for immediate results. Perhaps it is fact that every season seems to be an arms race against other schools.

There are great examples around football of successful programs that just left a good coach alone to build a program. Dave Clawson at Wake, for instance.

What gets me is Furman fans pulling their hair out and reminiscing on how Furman was once a national power in football, but at the same time ignoring that it took time for a good coach to build the program to that level.
 #48735  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:06 am
Gee, I’m sorry I said the program appeared stable. That was a horrible attack on the staff-almost as bad as that time when I said CBR was OK instead of awesome.

CCH’s record is a little worse than I realized, but now I understand that it is actually very good, way better than the 0-5 we use as a yardstick.
 #48737  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:47 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:06 am
Gee, I’m sorry I said the program appeared stable. That was a horrible attack on the staff-almost as bad as that time when I said CBR was OK instead of awesome.

CCH’s record is a little worse than I realized, but now I understand that it is actually very good, way better than the 0-5 we use as a yardstick.
Nah…Coach Sheridan was .500 @ 8-8 (8-3 + 0-5) with Furman’s 1 & only SoCon Football Championship (in 40+ years of trying) under his belt when Furman fans were ready to run him and the rest of our “high school Coaches” out of GVL and back to Orangeburg. They said we needed new blood from the outside, not the same tired crew of mediocre losers that Art Baker had hired.
 #48740  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 am
I sorta remember that season, especially that Wofford game, because it was freshman year. I just remember that it wasn’t going great but nobody cared because it was just football. We were waiting for basketball season. I’m a little surprised to hear that anybody cared enough to want the coach fired.

So way to go FUBeAR, you guys made us start caring about football, and now you’re mad because we care so much!

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.