• Armor Gray Uniforms

#13781  by AstroDin
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 am
I think the new alternative checks off several boxes…

1) Furman's core colors Purple and White need a complimentary color. That's why we've seen black and gray and silver on helmets and uniforms for years. My theory is black and gray help add depth.

2) The black alternate uniforms several years black - looked cheap for some reason, maybe it was just the style. The new Armor Gray's look higher quality, have a great fit and are consistent with the current purple/white versions.

3) The Players. IMO, alternative uniforms create excitement inward and that starts with the players. I won't disagree that players shouldn't need this type of motivation. Well, that left the barn when Oregon turned college football into a who can best who with shiny uniforms.

4) Recruiting. If you haven't noticed Furman Football has become relevant again. I'd go as far as to say our Purple is becoming a strong identity element. Recruits proudly share photos wearing the Furman jersey's and signing days are a sea of purple. I'll bet we'll see the new gray jerseys wore in recruits photo ops.
FUBeAR, fufanatic liked this
 #13784  by Flagman
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 am
It’s a Nike conspiracy. As one of the old-timers, I also don’t like them. Gray is NOT a Furman color. (I don’t like the gray in the basketball uniforms, either.) The next thing they will want is to remove the diamond F from everything and replace it with that ridiculous knight logo. Just look at the dominance of that logo on the picture. Take a look at our basketball floor.

Further, I can imagine that a recruit can be swayed by the color of a uniform. I can’t imagine that a recruit, especially one that we might be interested in would be that shallow. I would think they come for the quality education and the championship caliber football.
MNORM, Affirm, Paladin575 and 1 others liked this
 #13785  by AstroDin
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 am
Flagman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 am
It’s a Nike conspiracy. As one of the old-timers, I also don’t like them. Gray is NOT a Furman color. (I don’t like the gray in the basketball uniforms, either.) The next thing they will want is to remove the diamond F from everything and replace it with that ridiculous knight logo. Just look at the dominance of that logo on the picture. Take a look at our basketball floor.

Further, I can imagine that a recruit can be swayed by the color of a uniform. I can’t imagine that a recruit, especially one that we might be interested in would be that shallow. I would think they come for the quality education and the championship caliber football.
can't disagree with what you said - but - we all have to understand the coaches and the program are also in the marketing game. As is the university. I just posted in the 2020 recruiting channel some tweets from parents and players. Every year the coaches have to find another way to stay relevant in a fast-moving -streamed world.

What our coaches are doing is working - I trust them.
FUKA61, FUBeAR liked this
 #13786  by MNORM
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 pm
MNORM wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:53 pm
UGH....garbage. Gray is not a Furman color. You want to wear a gray uniform, drive 200 miles down I-26, shave your head, and carry my bags to my room.

...feel free to flame away. It's just my opinion.
So, that's not entirely true

I hated those previous gray basketball uniforms too. Glad they've been replaced by white. Grey accents and trim are fine...I just hate the all grey uniforms.
Paladin575 liked this
 #13790  by The Jackal
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:44 pm
I hadn't really taken notice of this, but Furman's athletics department has slowly started to incorporate a lot of gray into our sports. Many current programs sport gray as the third color.

You can see the shift, particularly with the basketball team. This is from 2015 - just purple and white:

There's a method to the madness, I'm sure. I don't see the need, but if it jazzes up the players, then fine. I just don't want to see it every week and I sure don't want to see a bunch of mixing and matching. You want to play one home game in all grays, ok. Don't start giving me purple tops on gray bottoms, though. I'll write a letter.
 #13791  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm
"Armor” Gray - as in “suit of armor” - seems to imply that when we see the gray it will be all gray. Or maybe I’m reading too much into the word choice.
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #13792  by sluggo
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm
I do like them but that's not the issue.

Issue : There is no bling in gray.

I'm all about the bling when it comes to football.
 #13793  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:26 pm
The problem with the all blacks from a few years ago is that they were too plain. The purple accents were to small to be noticable. What I like about these is that there is enough purple to make them pop, and the purple with the large "Furman" on the chest makes them easily identifiable. Complement that with the gray accent stripe on the helmet...I can't wait to see these in person.
 #13795  by ccoates
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:00 pm
I think it's an attempt to incorporate silver into the color scheme. Silver doesn't translate very well to jerseys. Anny attempt to have a silver jersey winds up looking...well,,.gray.

Silver has been in the scheme since back to the Art Baker days with silver helmets. Dick Sheridan made the helmets white with purple and silver stripes, and silver trim on the jerseys and pants. Much, but not all , of that lasted through the Bobby Lamb era. Then came the sea change to the somewhat sterile and mercifully short-lived purple,white, and black. The design was lifeless at best and resembled a cheap set of pajamas from K Mart.

So, in this context, I'm OK with the addition of gray...uh...silver. Thinking of it in those terms is easier on my resistant to change psyche, which is fragile enough to begin with
FUKA61, FUBeAR, fufanatic liked this
 #13796  by Bootie
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 pm
I like white, I like purple, gray doesn't do a thing for me. If the players want it, I'll deal with it.
 #13802  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Silver helmets & silver pants before 1978.

HATED black jerseys & pants.

Silver or “Armor Gray” has historical relevance, looks sharp, and is a good choice as an occasional alternate uni.
 #13803  by cavedweller2
 Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:48 pm
Great pic. In Sirrine against the boonies.
 #13807  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 pm
No issue in general.

But like Flag says I prefer the Diamond F. Please don’t lose that to the masked crusader icon. I recall when the new icon (mask of knight) came out people said it was always just going to a lil thing. It seems to be creeping in more and more. Please don’t lose the Diamond F!!! Anyone else notice the knight head seems to be becoming more prominent?
Paladin575 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.