• Way too early SoCon picks 18-19

#837  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 pm
Paul C...I might agree with you on UTC except that a transfer center from Arizona State and they have the #5 committment in the state of Tennessee already on board for next season.
 #841  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 pm
Can we not have a little perspective? Good grief! These seniors won 20 plus games twice and 19 games the other year. Our RPI is higher now than last year. One game worse this year in SoCon is a “so what?” Conference more competitive this year. Coaches pre season picked us 3rd which is where we finished. We had to replace Acox which was really not possible. The team endured its POY being benched during its final 7 games and a potential recruiting nightmare with Andrew Taylor. I cannot tell you how proud I am of this team. Bob has surrounded himself with a stronger staff top to bottom than Niko had, including a former head coach. The 2018 recruiting class is by all accounts a very good one. We are getting better every year over last 5 years. Progress. Am I disappointed we didn’t make the dance? Yes. Did I have fun following this team all over the place? Hell yeah. So that’s more than my two cents worth.

Have at it.
fufanatic, FU03times, Fessor and 5 others liked this
 #844  by FU03times
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 pm
Can we not have a little perspective? Good grief! These seniors won 20 plus games twice and 19 games the other year. Our RPI is higher now than last year. One game worse this year in SoCon is a “so what?” Conference more competitive this year. Coaches pre season picked us 3rd which is where we finished. We had to replace Acox which was really not possible. The team endured its POY being benched during its final 7 games and a potential recruiting nightmare with Andrew Taylor. I cannot tell you how proud I am of this team. Bob has surrounded himself with a stronger staff top to bottom than Niko had, including a former head coach. The 2018 recruiting class is by all accounts a very good one. We are getting better every year over last 5 years. Progress. Am I disappointed we didn’t make the dance? Yes. Did I have fun following this team all over the place? Hell yeah. So that’s more than my two cents worth.

Have at it.
I honestly aspire to be as great of a fan as you. Go Dins and go Charlie!
 #849  by Monday
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm
1. UNCG
2. Wofford
3. ETSU
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Samford
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI
10. Mercer
I can’t see UTC making that big a move without some added talent. While they return everyone, they weren’t necessarily a young team.
I've seen UTC referenced as the youngest D-1 team in the country.
soconjohn liked this
 #850  by gman
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 am
AllKnighter wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 pm
Well gman, you were right about us beating Wofford in the championship game so I'll stand down and watch you drink the BR Kool-Aid. Enjoy!
As it turned out, that was a dumb prediction. That’s all it was, a prediction. Your statement saying Niko’s departure had a negative impact on the program could be the dumbest comment ever made on this board. I have been a part of the Roundball Club for the last 4 years. I loved Niko and what he did for the program. His leaving had absolutely no negative impact on the program. We have a great young coach in Bob Richey, a leader on and off the court. I am thrilled he is the Head Basketball Coach for the Paladins.
GOAT and 1 others liked this
 #853  by MNORM
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Preston Parks is at UT-Martin, I think.

And yeah, on Samford, I get it. Maybe I gave them the benefit of the doubt because that 7-0 C who transferred from USF averaged 5ppg at USF, and the last transfer into the SoCon that avg'd 5ppg at USF was Amu Saaka :P Also the transfer from Alabama is a 6-5 wing who was the #2 overall ranked HS Sr in Alabama and had some injuries derail his career at Bama. Has a ton of potential.
Samford also has two commits that are finalists for Mr. Basketball Kentucky (like Andrew Taylor). I wouldn't expect the Bulldogs to be down for too long.
 #855  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 am
MNORM wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Preston Parks is at UT-Martin, I think.

And yeah, on Samford, I get it. Maybe I gave them the benefit of the doubt because that 7-0 C who transferred from USF averaged 5ppg at USF, and the last transfer into the SoCon that avg'd 5ppg at USF was Amu Saaka :P Also the transfer from Alabama is a 6-5 wing who was the #2 overall ranked HS Sr in Alabama and had some injuries derail his career at Bama. Has a ton of potential.
Samford also has two commits that are finalists for Mr. Basketball Kentucky (like Andrew Taylor). I wouldn't expect the Bulldogs to be down for too long.

I guess my question would be what makes you think Samford will be any better than they have been doing what they are already doing? Its not like this is the first time they've brought in transfers and had a few high profile signees.
 #856  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm
1. UNCG
2. Wofford
3. ETSU
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Samford
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI
10. Mercer
I can’t see UTC making that big a move without some added talent. While they return everyone, they weren’t necessarily a young team.
To paraphrase the great Bobby Johnson, the good news for UTC is that they have everyone coming back. The bad news for UTC is that they have everyone coming back.
FU03times liked this
 #868  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm
I am saying Chattanooga finishes higher than Samford next year...Samford plays no defense and they never really have...They have to out-score people and you just can't afford to try and do that this day and age in cbb.
 #876  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
I am saying Chattanooga finishes higher than Samford next year...Samford plays no defense and they never really have...They have to out-score people and you just can't afford to try and do that this day and age in cbb.
And now I see Triston Chambers is also leaving Samford.
 #881  by The Jackal
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:42 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
And now I see Triston Chambers is also leaving Samford.

Their fans seem to think transfers are just part of life in College basketball. I don't think that is necessarily so. When you are losing your own players, that is the sign of something concerning.
fufanatic, soconjohn liked this
 #884  by tya1
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 am
1. UNCG - Lose some contributors but return a good core. They get three new guys. Eric Hamilton is a 6'8" transfer from Wichita State who had a lot of offers in high school in Georgia including Georgia, Auburn, and Oregon State. Furman had interest but didn't offer. He is really athletic but had a bad shooting percentage in limited time at Wichita State. Mo Abdulsalam is a 6'8" 270 lb. post from Georgia who had reported offers from Wichita State, Tennessee, and Georgia Tech but picked UNCG. He is a burly, low post presence. Angelo Allegri is a 6'6" small forward going to high school in Missouri. The UNCG offer was his only D1 offer.

2. Wofford -They return almost everyone, and it is a good group. Second is a good placement right now but I'm not sure how much room for improvement they have. They need a solid improvement from freshman point guard Murphy. He had a good freshman year but Wofford requires a lot from that position. They have missed out on a number of recruits including Taylor and Bothwell. Probably hard to promise much chance of immediate playing time.

3. Furman - Well, why not? Every other team has a lot of question marks. A potential starting lineup of Rafferty, Brown, Williams or Mounce or Gurley, Lyons, and Hunter looks really solid. Backups with some experience at both guard and forward and a strong freshman class. I expect at least two of the newcomers to get significant playing time -maybe three.

4. ETSU - Placeholder position. They lose six key players - six of their top nine scorers. The returnees combined for 22 points per game. They had two good freshmen in Hodges and Armus. Jeromy Rodriquez is a 6'7" JC player who had to redshirt because of injury. They thought he was their top recruit last year. Patrick Good is a 6'0" transfer from App. State who is supposed to be a good three point shooter. They have signed two quick freshman guards who will get a shot next year. Let's see who they sign in the spring. If Forbes can use his JC connections to get some immediate help up front they could be right back battling for the title. They don't have enough right now. Their depth does not look adequate.

5. Chattanooga - I expect a big jump for them next year. They had serious injury problems this year but showed resilience trying to fight through them. Transfer Ramon Vila is 6'9" and good enough to start some games last year for Arizona State. I think he moves into the starting lineup early. Redshirts Duane Moss and Justin Brown add depth up front. The two incoming freshmen point guards look very quick and very good passers.

6. Citadel - Maybe they should be higher. Always though it is wait and see if anyone leaves before next season. Depth could be very good. Starting lineup solidified as the season progressed.

7. Mercer - Hard to pick them higher after losing five starters. Cohen, Cummings, and Stowe are a good trio of guards to build around. 6'10" freshman Mason Green supposedly has very good potential. Kilby and Stair are capable wings, although Stair seems to be hurt a lot. They already have five recruits signed - three 6'2" guards, a 6'4" wing, and a 6'7 post. They should get some help there. They are chasing a couple of big foreign born players for their last spot. They came close on nationally top 40 ranked, 6'8" Khavon Moore who made official visits to Florida and Mercer before choosing Texas Tech. He would have been a game changer for them.

8. Samford - Before the latest transfers were announced I would have picked as high as 4th or 5th. Will anyone else leave? Guards are still very good with Coleman, Sharkey, and Cunningham and they add some more with incoming freshmen guard/wings Steven Fitzgerald and Deandre Thomas who had a lot of offers. The freshman forwards are going to have to produce now unless Samford picks up some immediate JC help.

9. Western Carolina - Returning lineup has potential and will have some experience but the coaching change leaves a lot up in the air.

10. VMI - They were playing better by the end of the year with a young squad, but somebody has to finish last and VMI will have to prove it isn't them. Parham had a good freshman year but the team was easily the worst offense in the conference.
din23, AllKnighter liked this
 #892  by soconjohn
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 am
Not a good look for Samford..You lose an All-SoCon big man and a SoCon All-Freshman team selection...that's not good...Not to mention that Demetrius Denzel-Dyson is graduating.
 #904  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm
There is only one thing certain about next season and that is we will not win the tournament and not go to the NCAA tourney for the 39th year in a row. :(
 #906  by soconjohn
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm
apaladin, was your post meant to be from 2007-08...I mean come on dude...I get the fact that Alex Opacic and George Brozos weren't enough to lead Furman there, but how can you say that when the program is closer than ever....Why even post?
MNORM, Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.