• 2019 Mystery Game revealed

#5354  by sluggo
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 pm
I am getting to the point where I agree w Jackal. We need to schedule a little easier. Get a WIN.

Wofford keeps making playoffs by going 2-1 vs Wyoming, PC and Gardner Webb. We need to schedule a Gardner Webb. Clemson / Elon is just a dangerous 0-2 possibility and then leaves us no,margin for error.

Colgate. Ok. But add a Gardner Webb or SC State or winnable game. Let's get started at 2-1
Nope.

I remember 2014 at PC so don't start counting those games as won.
Keep losing to better teams to save some face for God's sake.
MNORM liked this
 #5355  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 pm
So..we can keep starting 0-3 ...

Ok, maybe not PC but Gardner Webb or someone. W Clemson and Elon we are starting in the hole every year.

Jackal and I have started moving towards the lets play ONE easier game for goodness sake. A team that we can practice with or something.

Charleston Southern may fit that bill.

But I was about to crap when I saw VPI, Georgia State, and thought it was KSU and maybe Colgate. Thinking "great, we would be predicted to start 1-3 and can't hardly lose ONE other game. ". I am not saying schedule ALL easy games OOC but at least one is good to work on plays etc. that's why the FBS guys keep scheduling us.

Seems to be working for Wofford. They have been the most consistent playoff / SoCon champ lately - that's WITHOUT A DOUBT - and they schedule PC and Gardner Webb and Wyoming

I am just asking for ONE easy game so we can stay or get in the top 25 and not have to win 7 straight games to maybe eek into the playoffs. That's leaving ourselves no margin.

Heck. We Started this year ranked. Finally. Then lost our standard 3 straight in September and here we are in a hole. No denying we have a bad September thing going. Maybe after we build some depth in two years I feel differently. Right now our goal is to make the playoffs imo
 #5356  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 am
Alternatively, if we want to be the man, we gotta beat the man.

Georgia State is probably the equivalent of a good FCS team. They beat Kennesaw this year in a close one. I’m looking forward to watching Furman play a football game at Turner Field.
MNORM, AstroDin, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5358  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:24 am
Jacksonville (FL), Stetson, Davidson, Georgetown Hoyas, Penn, Princeton, Columbia Lions, Yale, Harvard, SUNY Albany, Brown, Villanova, Richmond, W&M, Elon , Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Towson, SC State, CSU, PC, Gardner Webb, Kennesaw, Jacksonville State, Wagner, Monmouth, Fordham, Stephen F. Austin State, Sam Houston State, SE Louisiana, Indiana State, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, North Alabama, etc.
Lots of FCS options out there, other than just the usual (and I've included most of the usual in the list above).
Getting a home-only on our future schedules with some of the above, and a home and home with others (most would not come to our place without a return visit, I guess), would add to the interest in and recognition of the program.
 #5362  by din23
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 pm
The reason we don't know who our 4th OOC game is next year is because there isn't one. Apparently we are going to play only 11 games instead of 12 like everyone else. When the Kennesaw State game was moved it was not replaced. Hard to believe we can't find a replacement game in well over a year(since the KSU game was moved). Why can't we pick up a Davidson or someone similar. This means we will have 2 "bye" weeks next year and still 5 home 6 away. Also puts us at a disadvantage for the playoffs playing one less game than everyone else. :?
Source?
 #5365  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:59 pm
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The reason we don't know who our 4th OOC game is next year is because there isn't one. Apparently we are going to play only 11 games instead of 12 like everyone else. When the Kennesaw State game was moved it was not replaced. Hard to believe we can't find a replacement game in well over a year(since the KSU game was moved). Why can't we pick up a Davidson or someone similar. This means we will have 2 "bye" weeks next year and still 5 home 6 away. Also puts us at a disadvantage for the playoffs playing one less game than everyone else. :?
Source?
Really don't want to say but you can take it to the bank unless something changes. It would be a perfect time to pick up a home game we don't have to return and give us a rare 6 home game season.
 #5372  by fufanatic
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Seems like a real missed opportunity to pick up another home game for money, playoff and team morale purposes.
 #5375  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:59 pm
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Source?
Really don't want to say but you can take it to the bank unless something changes. It would be a perfect time to pick up a home game we don't have to return and give us a rare 6 home game season.

So, it's true unless it isn't?
din23 liked this
 #5669  by MNORM
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:50 pm
I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another we've been talking to Savannah State for the 12th game next season.
 #5675  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:23 pm
They’re just messing around.
 #5680  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 am
Alternatively, if we want to be the man, we gotta beat the man.

Georgia State is probably the equivalent of a good FCS team. They beat Kennesaw this year in a close one. I’m looking forward to watching Furman play a football game at Turner Field.
True. But everything can be taken too far. I mean from that axiom ', if we want to be the man, we gotta beat the man.' We could schedule NDSU, VTech and JMU.
And PROBABLY start 0-3 and have to go 7-1 in SoCon leaving almost no room for error.

Jackal, I think I saw you on AGS where you and I both were saying maybe we need one easy team (not PC necessarily ) instead of 1 or 2 FBS and two hard FCS.

Results don't lie. Wofford had made the playoffs most every year - the most consistently - and they play FBS and then Gardner Webb and PC.

*lets see if we sit at home while Wofford - who we beat by TWENTY - is in the playoffs. With the SAME SoCin record as us this year. IF If IF that occurs it proves the point that the committee would rather see a better W-L record than a loss to Elon

And I am NOT advocating playing all cream puffs. Just one FBS, one good FCS (Elon/Colgate) and one slightly easier FCS so we should be able to,work on our plays a little. Just one game vs a Gardner Webb - good for team morale etc and helps iron out kinks

I really hope we get another FCS team next year!! Another home game plus I would hate to see us out of playoffs at 7-4 vs other teams gettin' in at 8-4 because they scheduled 12 games. We have had a year to find someone I think

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.