Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:53 pm
Assuming all are back, I think the staring 5
will be
Pegues
Foster
Williams
Hien
VanderWal
I sure hope we see Johnny Lawrence next year.
din23 liked this
 #69368  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:53 am
Really interested to see what Davis Molnar brings. Seems like an excellent passer and scorer.
 #69380  by ksummerlin
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:16 am
We have shooters, we just need more consistent shooting. Our shooters are streaky in the worst way sometimes. We need to develop one or two guys that can finish at the rim. That comes with getting the guys stronger in the air. Slawson was our only finisher. Hein needs to put on some weight and learn to dunk the ball in traffic. He tries to finesse everything. I think Williams can be a matchup problem for teams next year if he can develop his ball handling abilities. Pegues can be POY if he gets more consistent and learns to finish off his drives.
bj93 liked this
 #69382  by furmandad
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 am
Currently we don’t have a true #2 (shooting guard) on the roster. Closest might be Foster, but he’s been playing more of a #3. Maybe portal or incoming Frosh??
 #69383  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:57 am
To my knowlegde it would have to be a freshman. Slawson and Bothwell are the only two players who are seniors. That leaves two scholarships open taken both by Bronson and Humphries. LMK if I am wrong.
 #69384  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:51 pm
ksummerlin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:16 am
We have shooters, we just need more consistent shooting. Our shooters are streaky in the worst way sometimes. We need to develop one or two guys that can finish at the rim. That comes with getting the guys stronger in the air. Slawson was our only finisher. Hein needs to put on some weight and learn to dunk the ball in traffic. He tries to finesse everything. I think Williams can be a matchup problem for teams next year if he can develop his ball handling abilities. Pegues can be POY if he gets more consistent and learns to finish off his drives.
Our shooters are plenty good enough for the SOCON, but we don’t do well against good defenses. I watched Princeton run the Princeton offense last night blowing out Mizzou. It looks a lot different because if you give them any room at all, it’s 3. So that opens everything up. Those guys use classic robotic shooting form. Seems like we sort of free style it. Sometimes you’re feeling it, sometimes you aren’t.

Inside I think we have guys with potential, but they all need lots of improvement. Will anybody put in the work Slawson did a couple of summers ago? As far as finishing drives goes, it kinda seemed like Bothwell and Pegues could do it pretty well against most teams or our schedule, but not against that next level hardly at all. Sometimes the thing to learn is that you CAN’T finish against some guys, so you learn to pull up for an automatic 5-10 ft bank shot.

The key to next year is whether or not a couple of (or more) guys decide to work on their weaknesses and develop one or two new weapons. I think it will happen. I think Hien will be a ton better. And I think Williams can be a monster if he wants to be.
furpop16 liked this
 #69389  by youwouldno
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm
Seems unlikely to me that the coaching staff would be actively recruiting transfer portal players if there wasn't going to be a spot available.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #69390  by Kitchen_bg
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm
I’d imagine Anderson and Whitt would like to be getting the lion’s share of minutes, somewhere. Neither seems to have a back up personality.

It may come to the point where Johnny Lawrence decides he doesn’t really feel like he will ever be durable enough to get on the court , and call it a career.

Another we have never seen get minutes is Repass, which makes you think he may do better with Jimmie Williams at Anderson… I could easily see two of these four moves happen if not all four.. Rhett lister is also gone, but he is a roster spot and you can always find an academic scholarship for a garrison type.
KingPaladin liked this
 #69392  by Paladin68
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:08 pm
Whitt can be really good if he can shoot better. He told me that one of the big guys that are red shirting has looked great in practice. We can be fine with really good big man.
dornb liked this
 #69393  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Pretty sure Lister was on scholarship at the end, so that gives us one.
dornb liked this
 #69397  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Pretty sure Lister was on scholarship at the end, so that gives us one.
I think the team would have made a big deal out of giving Lister a basketball scholarship. Every time his name was mentioned, it was as a walk-on player.
Kitchen_bg liked this
 #69398  by Kitchen_bg
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:39 pm
Either way, CBR played at Francis Marion a year under an academic scholarship. A roster spot is a roster spot.
dornb liked this
 #69405  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 pm
If there’s one thing we’ve learned from the tourney, it’s that we need to be more physical. Slawson and Bothwell were two of our most physical players and that will hurt going into next year. If we have one or two players transfer out, you’ve gotta try upgrading through the portal. I know this goes against CBRs organic system, but it works elsewhere and it can work at FU as well. Will Lawrence be back and healthy? He’s more of a shooter, not an inside big man. Will Repass make the next step or is he someone that will get minutes sparingly and fill a scholarship position for 4/5 yrs. I think this team is in need of a physical big man with Slawson gone - someone that can come in and make an immediate difference. If we don’t pick up any transfers, I see starting 5 as Pegues, Hien, Foster, Williams, and VanderWal. Do I think we can win SOCON next year? Yes, but unlikely without a key addition coming in.
 #69407  by Kitchen_bg
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:37 pm
I mean, we are a physical team. Looking back we have never had a real physical presence, and have still managed twenty wins seasons every year. Although big in comparison to average men, Slawson, Rafferty, Gurley, Acox are not considered “big men”.

I think what we learned from this, really if we are being honest, we can do this every year, but this is the cap.. and a great cap for such a small school. Exciting and fun to be a part of. How many students does SDSU have, idk maybe 30 some thousand, more? With Probly half the academic restrictions and state tuition..

It’s a lot more than just walking up to the transfer portal and telling it what you would like and it poppin it out to you like a vending machine. A lot of things have to add up. Great year, great team, great coach.