• Western Carolina Game Thread

#4529  by FU3
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm
The Good : We Won
The Bad : Don’t care ..we won

Especially happy for Dejuan Bell after the miscue last week . Kick return for a TD and another on a long pass...going to be special.
AstroDin, sluggo, FUKA61 and 5 others liked this
 #4531  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:21 pm
A couple of thoughts.

1. The defense had a rough day, but a lot of that was Tyrie Adams. He's a good player and made something from nothing on a lot of plays. WCU has a good offense, five senior offensive linemen, and we withstood them.

2. The offense looked much better. WCU's not an iron wall defensively, but things looked a lot crisper.

3. We still have issues on short yardage plays. I think that is more to do with the absence of Schmidt and Bush than anything else. We are just struggling to get a good push on short down and distance.

4. We need to find a way to provide backside protection on blitzes. Both ETSU and WCU had great success bringing extra rushers from the CB. They resulted in big losses against ETSU, and forced a turnover today. That's something other teams are picking up against us, and we need to get it fixed.

5. We have some playmakers on offense. I think we can all be excited about the future there.

6. Adrian Hope is going to be some kind of player for us. I cannot remember a player we've had with his sort of pure pass rush skills. WCU's offensive line couldn't block him. He had three sacks and probably had his hands on the QB another 3 or 4 times.

7. Congrats to Harris Roberts, who notches his first win as a starter. He looked good today.
AstroDin, dornb, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #4532  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:25 pm
For those who watched on tv: was the overturned call a td or out of bounds there near the end of the game? 2 officials looking at each other in opposite direction down the sideline called it incomplete. Were they right or were they wrong?
 #4533  by fufootballfan81
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
For those who watched on tv: was the overturned call a td or out of bounds there near the end of the game? 2 officials looking at each other in opposite direction down the sideline called it incomplete. Were they right or were they wrong?
It was a very close call. Announcers on TV were torn. One thought he had possession the other one did not think he had possession. His foot did come down in bounds
 #4534  by tya1
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 pm
fufootballfan81 wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
It was a very close call. Announcers on TV were torn. One thought he had possession the other one did not think he had possession. His foot did come down in bounds
After seeing the replay several times it was close but I think it was out of bounds. The receiver's foot was in bounds but he didn't catch it clean. The ball wasn't in his hands until after he was out. It was close and the video wasn't the best, but the refs ruled it out originally and i didn't see conclusive evidence for an overrule.

Glad we could hang on in a similar situation as last week. Maybe this will give us some confidence.

We gave up far too many big plays where receivers just ran by stationary and late reacting defenders
 #4535  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 pm
tya1 wrote:
fufootballfan81 wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
After seeing the replay several times it was close but I think it was out of bounds. The receiver's foot was in bounds but he didn't catch it clean. The ball wasn't in his hands until after he was out. It was close and the video wasn't the best, but the refs ruled it out originally and i didn't see conclusive evidence for an overrule.

Glad we could hang on in a similar situation as last week. Maybe this will give us some confidence.

We gave up far too many big plays where receivers just ran by stationary and late reacting defenders
Adams puts a lot of pressure on defenses. Some disagree with me, but it wouldn't shock me if he's the SoCon offensive player of the year.
QCGlue liked this
 #4536  by tim
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 pm
tya1 wrote:
fufootballfan81 wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

Adams puts a lot of pressure on defenses. Some disagree with me, but it wouldn't shock me if he's the SoCon offensive player of the year.
Well the dude is NEVER down, they can grab him, have him off balance and headed down and then he does something supernatural. Quite an athlete.
 #4539  by furman88
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:00 pm
First win is a relief for team and staff. Celebrate the win but please cover the tight end, beat us twice today with same play. We were beaten to death with our pass coverage today but their QB was very good. Offense sputtered at times but did show some potential. We have some very good skill guys and speed. Hope we continue the progress. Warts and all a much needed win. Defense gave up alot of points but bowed when they had to. Overall good effort. Didn't agree with refs but I seldom do. I'm like Bear Byrant refs can't be netrual they either for us or against us. :D
FU69, QCGlue liked this
 #4540  by mathprofhiker
fufootballfan81 wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
To my naked eye inside Paladin Stadium, I thought he was out of bounds, but I was up in Section 5 on the other end of the stadium. What baffles me is there were two officials on that sideline: one in the front corner of the end zone and another in the rear corner. How did those two officials get that call indisputably wrong?
 #4543  by fufootballfan81
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
fufootballfan81 wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
To my naked eye inside Paladin Stadium, I thought he was out of bounds, but I was up in Section 5 on the other end of the stadium. What baffles me is there were two officials on that sideline: one in the front corner of the end zone and another in the rear corner. How did those two officials get that call indisputably wrong?
I thought he was out originally but on the replay it looked like to me there was the tiniest bit of green between his foot and the sideline. Mu opinion was he didn’t have control of the ball until he was out of bounds.
 #4544  by wcugrad95
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:24 pm
So very fair assessment by you guys on the last WCU TD. I thought out - then on the replay I though he was in and they got it right. If I am going to be brutally honest, I think both teams have a ton of problems on defense. I think WCU is pretty good on offense, but I think Furman is going to struggle against good defenses like Wofford and Chattanooga. The good news is we both have games left to improve. Best of luck the rest of the way.
QCGlue liked this
 #4545  by furman88
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:28 pm
Totally agree foot was in but posession was not enough to overturn call. Thankfully this call didn't haunt us. Overall they made some outstanding catches.
 #4546  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:31 pm
ETSU leading UTC 14-0

Samford is about 3 minutes from needing the SoCon autobid to make the playoffs. What an incredibly disappointing season for them.

Furman still has all of their goals on the table.
QCGlue liked this