• Scott Keeler's blog

#4076  by Jasper
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am
I think Colgate made a very sound decision based upon what the forecasts for this area were at the time. Like Furman, it is an excellent academic institution and a prolonged absence from classes for their student/athletes would have placed a big burden on them. IMO, a week off for our football team may have been a Godsend after that beatdown at the hands of Elon. They needed time to get over the psychological effects of that game and to work on a game plan more suited to the experience and skill sets of this particular squad. I believe both will be accomplished and expect a much improved showing this week against ETSU.
Don't want to argue but the forecast at the time of cancellation was Partly Cloudy and 20% chance of a shower. Turns out that was pretty close except it was mostly cloudy. If they wanted to play it could have been worked out. Among options they could have flown down Thursday after classes, had a walk through and played Friday night or even kept their original travel plans and played Saturday at 11 or 12. Clempson certainly had no problems playing Saturday.
Very little class time would have been missed if any. I am sure FB players are not in the classroom more than 3-4 hours a day if that and a lot of classes these days are online anyway.
Since "you don't want to argue" and then proceed to do exactly that, I am not going to play that silly game. If you want to believe that Colgate University cancelled the game because they did not want to be trampled by the Furman football juggernaut then go right ahead and drink the whole jug of Kool-Aid.
 #4082  by sluggo
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:21 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm
http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/ ... ement.html

a few other tidbits in here besides the info on the efforts to secure a game on 10/6.

- Harris Roberts is back an could/should play on Sat
- some injury updates on Gilby, Porter, Weems
- OL Jacob Conrad has left the team. A bit of a blow to OL depth but he was replaced by Bo McKinney vs Elon.

THANKS SCOTT!
Jacob Conrad and Tim Coleman.

2 starting OL left the program in 2 years.

Not good.
 #4085  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am
I think Colgate made a very sound decision based upon what the forecasts for this area were at the time. Like Furman, it is an excellent academic institution and a prolonged absence from classes for their student/athletes would have placed a big burden on them. IMO, a week off for our football team may have been a Godsend after that beatdown at the hands of Elon. They needed time to get over the psychological effects of that game and to work on a game plan more suited to the experience and skill sets of this particular squad. I believe both will be accomplished and expect a much improved showing this week against ETSU.
Don't want to argue but the forecast at the time of cancellation was Partly Cloudy and 20% chance of a shower. Turns out that was pretty close except it was mostly cloudy. If they wanted to play it could have been worked out. Among options they could have flown down Thursday after classes, had a walk through and played Friday night or even kept their original travel plans and played Saturday at 11 or 12. Clempson certainly had no problems playing Saturday.
Very little class time would have been missed if any. I am sure FB players are not in the classroom more than 3-4 hours a day if that and a lot of classes these days are online anyway.
Since "you don't want to argue" and then proceed to do exactly that, I am not going to play that silly game. If you want to believe that Colgate University cancelled the game because they did not want to be trampled by the Furman football juggernaut then go right ahead and drink the whole jug of Kool-Aid.

Colgate could have easily played us Friday night or Saturday morning, they were scared
 #4086  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm
sluggo wrote:
Paul C wrote:

a few other tidbits in here besides the info on the efforts to secure a game on 10/6.

- OL Jacob Conrad has left the team. A bit of a blow to OL depth but he was replaced by Bo McKinney vs Elon.

THANKS SCOTT!

Not good.

True, but Coleman was already out the door basically before Clay was on campus as coach
 #4089  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm
sluggo wrote:
Paul C wrote:

THANKS SCOTT!

Not good.
Never good to lose Players that we have recruited and invested in, but, IMO, we can primarily break down Player departures into 2 broad categories - Program-related or Player-related. In certain circumstances, there is a 3rd category which I describe below.

Program-related would include things such as Recruiting ‘academically risky’ Student-Athletes and failing to provide them with the individual support they need to succeed despite their best efforts, or Coaches abusing Players (such as alleged at Maryland), or having a revolving door of numerous Assistant Coaches (such as VMI seems to be having), etc. So, things that are ‘fixable,’ but are not being adequately addressed.

Player-related would include such things such as homesickness, HTH-sickness, personal issues not related to Football, family issues, loss of desire to play Football, illness, unpreventable injuries and/or injuries not related to Football (such as might be sustained in a car accident), etc.

Now, when there is a Football System change - such as going from the air raid offense to running the triple-option or vice-versa, this might create a 3rd category of departure; a ‘Hybrid Departure,’ where a Player’s skill set or body-type may not fit the new system and/or he may feel that he doesn’t fit and/or just doesn’t want to play in the new system and/or feels that playing in the new system is not in his future best interests.

I have definitive knowledge that neither of these 2 OL departures fell into the Program-related category, so, while “not good,” also not a lot, if anything, that could have been done by Furman Football or Furman University to prevent them.

BTW - Did anyone see the exciting ending of that game where St. Francis of the not-fully-scholarship-funded-NEC almost upset Richmond of the ‘powerful” CAA? It was amazing that Richmond was able to overcome that crippling sack on their come-from-behind game-winning drive. That SFU RDE just flew right by Richmond’s BIG Left Tackle straight to the QB.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #4090  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Did Coleman transfer or quit football altogether?

EDIT - I see why FUBeAR posted what he did. Coleman is at Richmond now. He was/is a good one.
 #4092  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:29 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Did Coleman transfer or quit football altogether?

EDIT - I see why FUBeAR posted what he did. Coleman is at Richmond now. He was/is a good one.
Richmond is an outstanding academic school, as well as a very good athletic program. I wish we could play Richmond in football and men’s basketball.
Davemeister liked this
 #4094  by Paul C
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
It was amazing that Richmond was able to overcome that crippling sack on their come-from-behind game-winning drive. That SFU RDE just flew right by Richmond’s BIG Left Tackle straight to the QB.
God, I admire you....
FUBeAR liked this
 #4095  by sluggo
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Paul C wrote:

THANKS SCOTT!

Not good.
Never good to lose Players that we have recruited and invested in, but, IMO, we can primarily break down Player departures into 2 broad categories - Program-related or Player-related. In certain circumstances, there is a 3rd category which I describe below.

Program-related would include things such as Recruiting ‘academically risky’ Student-Athletes and failing to provide them with the individual support they need to succeed despite their best efforts, or Coaches abusing Players (such as alleged at Maryland), or having a revolving door of numerous Assistant Coaches (such as VMI seems to be having), etc. So, things that are ‘fixable,’ but aren’t not being adequately addressed.

Player-related would include such things such as homesickness, HTH-sickness, personal issues not related to Football, family issues, loss of desire to play Football, illness, unpreventable injuries and/or injuries not related to Football (such as might be sutained in a car accident), etc.

Now, when there is a Football System change - such as going from the air raid offense to running the triple-option or vice-versa, this might create a 3rd category of departure; a ‘Hybrid Departure,’ where a Player’s skill set or body-type may not fit the new system and/or he may feel that he doesn’t fit and/or just doesn’t want to play in the new system and/or feels that playing in the new system is not in his future best interests.

I have definitive knowledge that neither of these 2 OL departures fell into the Program-related category, so, while “not good,” also not a lot, if anything, that could have been done by Furman Football or Furman University to prevent them.

BTW - Did anyone see the exciting ending of that game where St. Francis of the not-fully-scholarship-funded-NEC almost upset Richmond of the ‘powerful” CAA? It was amazing that Richmond was able to overcome that crippling sack on their come-from-behind game-winning drive. That SFU RDE just flew right by Richmond’s BIG Left Tackle straight to the QB.
OK, but you left out one reason a OL player should quit : Bad talent show skits.
FUBeAR liked this