• Wofford

#60042  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:00 pm
FWIW Yesterday WC had scoring drives of 22, 21, 19 and 10 yds.
 #60048  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:35 pm
I want Samford. I'll take any path to play them and beat them down with a healthy Tyler Huff.
Amen!
Bootie, FUBeAR liked this
 #60053  by gman84
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:01 am
gman84 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:46 am
Wooford would like nothing more than to crap on our season. I don’t see this happening. I’m not saying the game won’t be a tough one, but this team will not allow their fate to be determined by a selection committee.
Samford has clinched the SoCon AQ. This Furman Team’s “fate” will be determined by a selection committee.

With a win over Wofford, the Playoff Selection will, almost certainly, but reluctantly, do the right thing and extend an At-Large bid to 9-2 / 7-1 Furman. How they will screw Furman (potentially) affecting “fate,” is…

…they will not seed a Paladin Team that should be seeded…
…they will pair Furman with a Team in the 1st round that they know has submitted a very high bid to host..
…they will pair Furman, in round 2, with one or more of…
a) very highly seeded Team,
b) a Team known for having ridiculous early December weather,
c) a Team with a ridiculous home field advantage (NDSU…maybe), and
d) a Team far, far away.

That said…some or all of these things probably would have occurred even if Furman was 10-1 / 8-0…maybe even if 11-0 / 8-0. ETSU received minimal props from the Committee for SEC win last season.

Beat Wofford / Bid Big / Hope for the Best
Your right about Samford being the AQ. Agree, the committee will still screw a 9-2 Furman. An 8-3 FU not making the field is the fate we don’t want.
 #60058  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:45 am
Woffor has improved.

They still lost to Samford, Mercer, and UTC by a combined 101-21.

I've got confidence this Furman team isn't going to overlook the terriers.
Oh, I am aware.. However, those losses were basically before the new coach had a chance to do anything. He had maybe 3 days before Samford?

Then, once new HC had full weeks to work with - so that is what I look at as that is who they are now - the team they are 3-1 (yes, vs lesser competition no doubt!) but 3 wins over
Citadel (not a great team but a good D at Citadel ),
ETSU (still a decent team though a mystery),
and VMI (not a good team).
Their one loss in that period isn't a bad one as they lost to Western Carolina 36-29. Not a horrible loss by any means as we all know WCU can score in bunches.

So that is what the new coach has them doing. Personally I think they should remove the interim tag as he took a teams with 17 consecutive losses ! and has them finishing with 3 wins... that's not easy to do when a lot of kids would have just quit
 #60059  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:29 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:50 am
This Furman Team has worked too hard and come too far to let the Terriers jamb us up come Saturday.

Having said that, I hope gofurman is very, very, VERY skeered of Wofford.
I am very, very, very skeered
Davemeister liked this
 #60060  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:33 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Prefer Davidson, Gardner Webb or NC A&T over Elon
Dmn straight. I don't understand people that want the hardest road possible etc. If you want success for the team you pull for you want the easiest road.. plus, as FUBeAR has said we always get sent to NDSU if we make the second round. We have it tough enough already. I want Davidson, or NC A&T. Not that whay I want matters but we get screwed a lot - we don't bid enough for a home game (that's OUR fault honestly) , get sent to NDSU, etc etc

Why not want an easier foe and hopefully at least win one? Besides, it helps our ranking next year if we win a postseason game or 2. Bring on Davidson

And I sure as heck don't want Samford. Say what you will, but they haven't lost a single game in conference or to any SoCon team all year. Besides, that just hurts the SoCon. Let both Samford and Furman win !

Mostly, I want to see our damn admin step up and BID to get a freakin' HOME GAME. Tired of all the lip service every time about we really put in a good bid... and we end up on the road again. When was the last home playoff game? 2005? 17 years ago?? I am asking
 #60061  by Rokawaylifer
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:50 pm
driving down from jersey to witness the dog beating. will celebrate at my fave g
ville restaurant …. cafe giorgio. with former fu roommate and spouses.
 #60063  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:51 pm
Scouting Woff: Looking not at VMI but at games more relevant (well, to me at least lol) like Western and ETSU where we are speaking of some talent on the opponent...

Wofford seems to have an inability to run the ball... and a definite inability to stop the run!

Vs WOff, ETSU ran for 32 attempts for 320 yards ! That is obviously 10 yards per play !! Granted, Woff ran for 35 attempts for 170 yards - not bad at all at 5 yards per run
Now what is different in WOff now is the willingness - and ability, to throw. How they beat ETSU was Woff had 39 throws for 3TD and no INT for 400 yards !! This is not your grandfathers Woff team. The old Woff teams couldn't have thrown 39 attempts without getting picked 3 times. So they do have the ability to make yds through the air. 400+ yards passing vs ETSU ? ETSU is an enigma now.

Vs Western (who we know can't stop a good run), Woff ran 27 times for 80 yds for 3 yards per run play.. not good vs WCU. Western, on the other hand, ran 50 times for 250 yards. 5 yards per run. Western has explosive plays so that last stat isn't horrible. It is Woff inability to run vs a bad Western run D that stands out to me.
 #60074  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:33 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Prefer Davidson, Gardner Webb or NC A&T over Elon
Dmn straight. I don't understand people that want the hardest road possible etc. If you want success for the team you pull for you want the easiest road.. plus, as FUBeAR has said we always get sent to NDSU if we make the second round. We have it tough enough already. I want Davidson, or NC A&T. Not that whay I want matters but we get screwed a lot - we don't bid enough for a home game (that's OUR fault honestly) , get sent to NDSU, etc etc

Why not want an easier foe and hopefully at least win one? Besides, it helps our ranking next year if we win a postseason game or 2. Bring on Davidson

And I sure as heck don't want Samford. Say what you will, but they haven't lost a single game in conference or to any SoCon team all year. Besides, that just hurts the SoCon. Let both Samford and Furman win !

Mostly, I want to see our damn admin step up and BID to get a freakin' HOME GAME. Tired of all the lip service every time about we really put in a good bid... and we end up on the road again. When was the last home playoff game? 2005? 17 years ago?? I am asking
GF just don’t be surprised if we are on the road come playoff time. The 8 first round home games go to the highest bidders regardless of team strength. Just don’t see FU bidding high enough if at all to be one of those 8.
 #60091  by cavedweller2
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
Wofford is terrible. 40-0 Paladins.
 #60097  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
Wofford is terrible. 40-0 Paladins.
Furman needs to leave no doubt in this one.

Wofford struggles to run the ball and they struggle to stop the run.

I think the Terriers best chance is to try and channel their inner Western Carolina. The Catamounts couldn't stop the run game, but kept it close by running the QB and just airing it out.

Admittedly, I think Furman learned a lot of lessons against Western Carolina. We made a lot of mistakes I, frankly, haven't seen us make since.

Make no mistake, though. This is their Super Bowl. Wofford would like nothing more than to rain on our home game and gain some momentum going into the offseason.
bj93 liked this
 #60100  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:31 am
Keep the hammer down. Leave no prisoners. Don't ease up. If the game is out of reach for woffy and we've put in the water girls, and there's 1:00 on the clock, SCORE! Take no knees! Beat them down.
apaladin, FU Hoopla, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #60102  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 am
Also - If, in the nearly unimaginable event, Woffy beat Furman on Saturday, the BIG bow ties at Woffy would have a very hard time NOT hiring their Interim Head Coach as their new Head Coach…regardless if he is not even related to Uncle Jerry or Mr. Gibbs

He may get the job anyway, but it’s on lock with a win over FU for him. Let’s make sure they are able to stay true to their nepotistic ways. Uncle Jerry’s son is the OL Coach & Recruiting Coordinator @ 2-8 Murray State. He’s ready for the call up.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #60103  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:56 am
I think Furman should invite former HC Dick Sheridan to the game Saturday. And if our guys should somehow manage to lose, allow DS into the locker room to deliver the Post-Game oration.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.