• Western Carolina

#57851  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:29 am
Their offensive points per game are skewed by them scoring 129 points on CSU(52) and PC(77). They have scored 18 points in the last 2 weeks against good SoCon teams all on FG’s, no TD’s.
True, but Anyone that can possibly score FIFTY TWO on CSU (we scored 24 in a great effort to come from behind) impresses me in terms of offensive production. They have the potential to get us in a track meet and we don’t want that

They will pass probably 40 times. I would after watching some prior tape …
 #57875  by Davemeister
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:05 pm
On the "Mid Year Thoughts" thread we were talking about aggresiveness. Let me graft that thought to this Topic.

How many points is it going to take to beat the Catamounts? We are averaging about 26 ppg against FCS competition.

Do The Math:
If we score 20 points, we're in trouble.

If we score 30, we might eke out a win. Don't count on it.

If we score 40, I feel pretty good.

If we score 50, break out the Wicked Weed!
 #57878  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:21 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:05 pm
On the "Mid Year Thoughts" thread we were talking about aggresiveness. Let me graft that thought to this Topic.

How many points is it going to take to beat the Catamounts? We are averaging about 26 ppg against FCS competition.

Do The Math:
If we score 20 points, we're in trouble.

If we score 30, we might eke out a win. Don't count on it.

If we score 40, I feel pretty good.

If we score 50, break out the Wicked Weed!

In conference play, WCU is averaging 18.7 ppg and surrendering 33.7.

Furman averages 25 and surrenders 19.3.

A lot of WCU's big offensive numbers came in two out of conference games against Charleston Southern and Presbyterian.
Davemeister liked this
 #57891  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:15 pm
Game notes out: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

Miller is 34 yards from passing the following players on the all time receiving yards chart: Des Kitchings, Brian Bratton, Donald Lipscomb, and Bear Reinhardt .

WR depth chart seems to be solidifying a bit. Primary three of Harris, Dean, and Anderson. Starting to see Ethan Harris show up in the depth chart as well as Ben Ferguson.

Eli Brasher shows up as a freshman on the OL two deep at OT.

At least according to this, we may be close to full speed as we've been for a few weeks.
apaladin, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #57892  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

Miller is 34 yards from passing the following players on the all time receiving yards chart: Des Kitchings, Brian Bratton, Donald Lipscomb, and Bear Reinhardt .

WR depth chart seems to be solidifying a bit. Primary three of Harris, Dean, and Anderson. Starting to see Ethan Harris show up in the depth chart as well as Ben Ferguson.

At least according to this, we may be close to full speed as we've been for a few weeks.
Something to remember-more related to the future than now; Furman's redshirting a runningback with a slew of offers and scored a bunch of touchdowns in high school (Jayquan Smith). Furman also has a soft-cozy redshirt wrapped around Carson Jones.
 #57895  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:14 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

Something to remember-more related to the future than now; Furman's redshirting a runningback with a slew of offers and scored a bunch of touchdowns in high school (Jayquan Smith). Furman also has a soft-cozy redshirt wrapped around Carson Jones.

Smith, at least on his high school film, was very impressive.

Redshirting Jones makes a lot of sense. It's been ages since we were really able to redshirt and develop a talented freshman QB without needing to throw them into the fire immediately.
 #57900  by Davemeister
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:34 am
The Jackal wrote:

Hope this is how things play out, Jackal. I don't want a close game this weekend. I want to see us hang those scraggly Mountain Cats from the very goalposts they once tore down.

Don't believe CCH has ever lost to WCU at Home, and Saturday would not be a good time to make it the first.
 #57908  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:11 pm
Davemeister wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Hope this is how things play out, Jackal. I don't want a close game this weekend. I want to see us hang those scraggly Mountain Cats from the very goalposts they once tore down.

Don't believe CCH has ever lost to WCU at Home, and Saturday would not be a good time to make it the first.

Best bet in my view is to avoid the Samford problem - we let a few bad drives force us to chase the game. Ideally, Furman will stay in control with the run game, keep finding the end zone, and make WCU start trying to force things with our turnover-inducing defense.

We should have beats these guys last year and couldn't close it out. Let's not make that mistake twice.
MNORM liked this
 #57930  by wcugrad95
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:02 pm
Western could not have looked any worse last weekend, but I would also say that had a whole lot to do with how good Mercer is. The Samford game is probably the more realistic game to look at, where we moved the ball but couldn't get it done in the redzone. As always, mistakes and especially turnovers can doom a team, and WCU has been very generous giving the ball away. Davis threw an INT on the very first play of the game after the D played a very nice first series against the Bears and the game was over within the next 3 or so drives.

The Cats can compete with anybody if we quit making so many mistakes. But I think Furman has a very balanced team, and a defense that will try to pressure our QB into making forced throws. Furman's DBs are very good, so that could be another recipe for disaster.

As pointed out, we scored 52 against a common opponent, but at the end of the day that CSU team is now 0-6 so I am not sure much stock can be put in either one of our games against them. The key to this game in my opinion very well could be how the first quarter goes. WCU up until last Saturday had been vastly improved against the run, so if we play pretty evenly through the first 3 or 4 series on both sides this could be a good one. If we come out flat and demoralized after our last loss FU could have a very happy home crowd.
 #57932  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:15 pm
WCU's two deep: https://catamountsports.com/sports/foot ... er?path=fb

I think they pulled their starting QB at some point in the Mercer game. Looking at the stats from the year, he appears to be their better passer but has a pretty eye popping 11 interceptions on the season against 12 touchdowns. That's gotta be an interesting area to watch against Furman's pretty aggressive defensive backfield. Unlike most WCU QBs we have seen over the years, he does not appear to be much of a runner.

Per usual, WCU is going to have their usual assortment of pass catchers. The leading rusher is listed as a backup on the two deep, so I guess there's some question of whether he is a full go.

Defensively, it's a 3-4. One slight oddity with WCU that I've noticed over a few games watching them (and their fans seem to confirm) is that they almost tend to play two safeties as part of their four linebacker group.

One linebacker, their Bandit, appears to be more of a stand up defensive end without much pass coverage responsibility. Their two outside linebackers are more slightly built and are comparable to their safeties in terms of physical build.

It will be interesting to see if Furman is able to attack that with big running backs.
 #57933  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:15 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:02 pm
Western could not have looked any worse last weekend, but I would also say that had a whole lot to do with how good Mercer is. The Samford game is probably the more realistic game to look at, where we moved the ball but couldn't get it done in the redzone. As always, mistakes and especially turnovers can doom a team, and WCU has been very generous giving the ball away. Davis threw an INT on the very first play of the game after the D played a very nice first series against the Bears and the game was over within the next 3 or so drives.

The Cats can compete with anybody if we quit making so many mistakes. But I think Furman has a very balanced team, and a defense that will try to pressure our QB into making forced throws. Furman's DBs are very good, so that could be another recipe for disaster.

As pointed out, we scored 52 against a common opponent, but at the end of the day that CSU team is now 0-6 so I am not sure much stock can be put in either one of our games against them. The key to this game in my opinion very well could be how the first quarter goes. WCU up until last Saturday had been vastly improved against the run, so if we play pretty evenly through the first 3 or 4 series on both sides this could be a good one. If we come out flat and demoralized after our last loss FU could have a very happy home crowd.

From what I saw against Mercer, I cannot imagine the Cats playing that poorly two games in a row. They are better than they showed last weekend.

I'll be perfectly content with a 1 point Furman victory.
AstroDin liked this
 #57940  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:11 pm
Davemeister wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Best bet in my view is to avoid the Samford problem - we let a few bad drives force us to chase the game. Ideally, Furman will stay in control with the run game, keep finding the end zone, and make WCU start trying to force things with our turnover-inducing defense.

We should have beats these guys last year and couldn't close it out. Let's not make that mistake twice.
Wasn’t a death knell, but one thing I havent seen mentioned much about Samford is where our first drive got to the TWO and we kicked a chip 19’yd FG. Really need TDs inside the 5/10. It’s one thing to stop in the “red zone” and take a 33 yd FG. But a 19 yd FG? That’s painful. That’s was our first drive vs Samford. Let’s put the ball in the endzone w strong run plays
 #57947  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:37 pm
Ok let’s just be blunt. With all due respect to WCU, if we can’t beat them we just need to shut up and get ready for basketball.
 #57965  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:11 am
Mercer, I think, put out a pretty good blueprint for beating WCU:

1. Run the ball. Mercer and Furman share similar philosophical DNA on offense. They had a lot of success just running right at this defense. Furman is built to be a physical football team and this would be a great game to establish that advantage.

2. Force turnovers. Furman leads the FCS in takeaways. WCU leads the SoCon and is 122 of 123 FCS teams in give aways. Mercer exploited the Catamounts propensity to turn the ball over.

3. Win third downs. Mercer was 8 of 11 on converting third downs. WCU was 3 of 14.

Just for reference - Dominic Roberto ran for 196 yards and 4 TDs against this defense last season in Cullowhee. We ran for 316 against them in total. Somehow lost.