• Get on the phone with Stetson

#3894  by Flagman
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 pm
The point about a 10 game opponent vs a team that already has 11, but that particular date open, is valid. Hopefully, it won't take long to firm something up and let us know for certain that it will happen.
 #3897  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 am
What about UT-Martin ? Better comp than Stetson .. they are off 10/6 - anyone think that is a good idea???

But if Stetson is off 10/6 and COUNTS towards FCS I want it. Just don't want a D2 that doesn't count... though we have a looong way to go to think about playoffs

Either way, we should really try to play SOMEONE. Regardless how we do this year, every game helps our young team/offense learn. I will be disappointed if we don't play someone.. and hopefully at home. 4 home games would stink. Shouldn't be hard... Stetson, UT-Martin, maybe other FCS? Though I guess Stetson is easier to get at FU than UT-Martin who might ask that we come to Tennessee
UT-Martin has 11 games on their schedule & no anticipated cancellations. Needs to be an FCS Team with less than 11 games (except IL Teams, who only play 10 by agreement with their Conference) or an FBS Team with less than 12 AND an open date on 10/6.

An FCS Team with a cancelled away game AND an open date on 10/6 is the best fill-in for FU. Stetson fits that bill. I don’t know if ANY other FCS schools do.
Thanks for setting me straight - didn't realize that
 #3898  by fufanatic
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm
I went through the first three weeks of FCS schedules on ESPN's schedule page, and Stetson remains the only team that's had a game cancelled this year that is free on Oct. 6. There are several games this week that are postponed, but I'm guessing that means they already have a date circled on the calendar to play it. On the FBS front, we've already mentioned them previously, but through three weeks of cancellations, only UNC and Southern Miss are free on Oct. 6 and it would probably make way more sense for them to play each other than for one of them to play Furman.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #3899  by MNORM
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I went through the first three weeks of FCS schedules on ESPN's schedule page, and Stetson remains the only team that's had a game cancelled this year that is free on Oct. 6. There are several games this week that are postponed, but I'm guessing that means they already have a date circled on the calendar to play it. On the FBS front, we've already mentioned them previously, but through three weeks of cancellations, only UNC and Southern Miss are free on Oct. 6 and it would probably make way more sense for them to play each other than for one of them to play Furman.
I wonder if Stetson and PC are discussing rescheduling their game to week 13...it's not like either team will be vying for a playoff spot. I'm thinking maybe Furman and PC could get into a bidding war for the game.
 #3900  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I wonder if Stetson and PC are discussing rescheduling their game to week 13...it's not like either team will be vying for a playoff spot. I'm thinking maybe Furman and PC could get into a bidding war for the game.
With Stetson playing AT San Diego, AT Butler, AND AT Drake (who gave Montana a rough 1st half last week), you are most likely correct. Even if they are much improved, those are 3 LONG Road Trips against 3 good Football Teams. So, they probably don’t have a realistic shot at winning the PFL Auto-bid...and PC wouldn’t score against their own cheerleaders, so they ain’t going. But, if re-scheduling was a possibility, I think they would have discussed that before announcing that the game was CANCELED.

IMO...IF both FU & Stetson WANT to play an 11th game, then they should be able to work this out. If either or both don’t want to play 11, then it won’t.
 #3937  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am
Stetson? Really? We can do better than that with all the cancellations this weekend. I mean, let's just aim for D2.
Great! I think Away games at UNC or Southern Miss have been suggested; meaning only 4 Home games and a high risk of a loss, or better described, a low probability of getting a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities. Or a Home Game with Stetson, giving us 5 Home games & a strong probability of a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities.

You must have many other better alternatives to suggest. Let’s see ‘em!
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #3938  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Stetson? Really? We can do better than that with all the cancellations this weekend. I mean, let's just aim for D2.
Fact is, I believe Stetson is the only option for us to get a D1 home game on Oct. 6
 #3939  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:44 am
So the question becomes what does Clay Hendrix value more, a home game Oct. 6 vs. Stetson or a bye week Oct. 6 to have 2 weeks to prep for Wofford
AstroDin liked this
 #3952  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:44 am
So the question becomes what does Clay Hendrix value more, a home game Oct. 6 vs. Stetson or a bye week Oct. 6 to have 2 weeks to prep for Wofford
I hope CCH is not that scared of WC and thinks he needs an extra week to prepare for them. If he does then fine.
 #3954  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 pm
I don’t want a D2 team.

You see the problem Samford is in right now. They scheduled Shorter and Florida State. They now are 1-2 with 0 D1 wins. To really be eligible for a post season at large bid, they will need to win 7 of their final 8. The margin for error is just really small.
MNORM liked this
 #3959  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
I imagine there are a number of possibilities. I don’t know if the cancellation, for instance, imposed a penalty on Colgate. Furman played up there, but got no return home game.

Hampton’s game against Tennessee State was also cancelled. Hampton plays D2 Lane College on Oct. 6. Could Furman buy out that contract and play Hampton?
 #3961  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
I imagine there are a number of possibilities. I don’t know if the cancellation, for instance, imposed a penalty on Colgate. Furman played up there, but got no return home game.

Hampton’s game against Tennessee State was also cancelled. Hampton plays D2 Lane College on Oct. 6. Could Furman buy out that contract and play Hampton?
Gotta say I'm hoping there was no penalty on Colgate for cancelling when it's a Hurricane and safety / unknowns were involved. They donated their hotel rooms etc. I realize that all may be a separate issue and may not matter but I appreciate their gestures
 #3962  by Paladin91
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Great! I think Away games at UNC or Southern Miss have been suggested; meaning only 4 Home games and a high risk of a loss, or better described, a low probability of getting a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities. Or a Home Game with Stetson, giving us 5 Home games & a strong probability of a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities.

You must have many other better alternatives to suggest. Let’s see ‘em!