• ETSU - Oct. 23

#44954  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm
Correct. We won’t win completing 4 passes against ETSU.
 #44958  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 pm
I don’t know. Maybe we can if we at least have a few near misses deep to scare them.

Mainly we just need maybe 10 plays where we somehow manage to execute the run blocks just right. I’d ask the OL which 5 plays they feel really confident they can execute and do those a whole bunch. We have guys who can turn the 18 inches of daylight into big plays.
 #44964  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm
Correct. We won’t win completing 4 passes against ETSU.
OK - How ‘bout we set a stretch goal of 8…

COLE COPELAND Chattanooga Mocs #18 QB
OPPONENT RESULT COMPLETIONS
vs ETSU W 8
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #44965  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 pm
I’d ask the OL which 5 plays they feel really confident they can execute and do those a whole bunch.
I just saw a Head Coach honored for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame by doing exactly that.

Well…he didn’t exactly ask us which plays we felt really confident we could execute. He told us which 5 we better be able to execute perfectly if we wanted to wear an <F> on our helmets…and later a stylized <NSC>…I guess.
 #44967  by youwouldno
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:11 pm
ETSU has a pretty solid defense. If they sell out against the run, the Paladins likely won't be able to consistently move the ball without getting yards in the passing game.

I don't think deep throws are the key - if I'm a Furman opponent, I'm OK with a few big completions if I'm stopping everything else. The Paladins will need to hit easy/short throws to keep the chains moving and protect the defense from getting worn down. Might also be advisable for JW to run the ball more (including designed runs, not just scrambling when no one is open).
apaladin, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #44969  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:27 pm
Team Statistics - UTC vs. ETSU
RUSHING
Total (Net) 235
Attempts 37
Avg. Per Rush 6.4
Rushing TDs 3
Yds. Gained 248
Yds. Lost 13

* To date, FU & UTC have no common opponents against which to assess the Mocs vs. ETSU and project Paladins vs. ETSU vis a vis Mocs vs X AND Paladins vs X
 #44982  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:20 am
Who starts at QB Saturday? Regardless of who starts I will be pulling hard for them but to be honst I think I will be a little disappointed if JW doesn’t start.
dornb liked this
 #44983  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Who starts at QB Saturday? Regardless of who starts I will be pulling hard for them
Video message just rec’d from Wilson & Sisson…
 #44993  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:04 am
Things that will be interesting to watch out for this week.

Is Devin Wynn back in the lineup? From reports, he aggravated a groin issue he had since the summer. He dressed against Citadel and, according to Hendrix, probably could have played, but at less than 100%. Does the extra week off help?

How does Furman deploy Elijah McKoy? McKoy's an interesting player. He came to Furman as a DB. He's played a bunch of different positions and even though he's gotten big in the program, he's still obviously got the speed and ball skills from his DB days. The Citadel struggled to block him. ETSU runs the ball a lot - does Furman try to deploy McKoy like they did against the Citadel and force ETSU to deal with both Hope and McKoy on the edges?
 #44996  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Who starts at QB Saturday? Regardless of who starts I will be pulling hard for them but to be honst I think I will be a little disappointed if JW doesn’t start.
me too. We know what we have in Hamp. Jace has a higher ceiling and challenges defenses in ways Hamp can't.
apaladin, dornb, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #44997  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:28 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
me too. We know what we have in Hamp. Jace has a higher ceiling and challenges defenses in ways Hamp can't.

Coach Hendrix noted in his post game comments that Furman probably got away from the run game a bit in the second quarter against the Citadel. That was my feeling as well.

I'd love to see Furman recognize that a balanced passing attack may just not be in the cards for us right now. We've seen us struggle throwing the ball for a while, and maybe the best course is just to embrace the running game.

There are a bunch of offenses nationally that can to what Furman wants to do offensively and run the heck out of the football. We have a QB that can run. Speed on the edge. A deep backfield. A good offensive line. Put the game on their backs.

I was surprised to see that, nationally, Georgia State has the nation's 24th ranked rushing offense. Their second leading rusher is Darren Grainger.

Wilson showed excellent running ability against both Wofford and the Citadel. Let the dude carry the ball. Let the running backs and offensive line get the train running.
FUBeAR, bj93 liked this
 #44999  by FU3
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 pm
Teams have been successful against Furman stacking the box and daring us to throw the ball. I still believe that JW offers us the chance to require teams to account for his running ability and respect his arm.What is still confusing is our inability to utilize what I believe is significant skilled talent. Several times last week we had D. Bell and W.Anderson ( probably our 2 fastest players) in one of our spread formations and Citadel walked a LB out in man coverage (safety doubling our TE). Never looked in their direction.We are going to have to walk and chew gum if we want to win the conference.
gman84, AstroDin, bj93 and 1 others liked this
 #45000  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:04 am
Things that will be interesting to watch out for this week.

Is Devin Wynn back in the lineup? From reports, he aggravated a groin issue he had since the summer. He dressed against Citadel and, according to Hendrix, probably could have played, but at less than 100%. Does the extra week off help?

How does Furman deploy Elijah McKoy? McKoy's an interesting player. He came to Furman as a DB. He's played a bunch of different positions and even though he's gotten big in the program, he's still obviously got the speed and ball skills from his DB days. The Citadel struggled to block him. ETSU runs the ball a lot - does Furman try to deploy McKoy like they did against the Citadel and force ETSU to deal with both Hope and McKoy on the edges?
Lots to like about the Jumbo package on defense.
ETSU is going to want to run the ball with their two backs - I just don't see the Bucs winning on the arm of Ridell against Furman. I think we have the backend to match up well and I expect a pick or two.

I really like McKoy starting at SPUR with DiMaggio backing. We have some interesting versatility happening on defense.
Stanfield is a fast strong fella playing inside and when he's matched up with J Jackson - they make a nice combo.

The new face that made an impact last Saturday was Alex Maier (6-4 225) I heard from a player parent to expect good things from Alex, but I thought he was a year away. Playing him at number 3 Bandit affords Furman the ability to keep McKoy at Spur.
FUBeAR, FU3 liked this
 #45008  by FurmAlum
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Here's what I would like to see on Sat.

1. Jace start at QB. We an bring Hamp in halfway thru 3rd Q if things aren't going well.
2. #0 back in the lineup!
3. At least one flea-flicker. Maybe a lateral or pass to Shiflett, and he throws it again, back to the QB, or a WR.
4. Mckoy start at Spur.
5. Generally run the ball down their throat. Then an occasional play action pass.
6. Get after the ETSU QB. He has fumble-itus and makes bad throws under pressure.

I see a Paladin victory. Just gotta execute.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.