FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm
Jasper, At QB you didn’t mention Colt Minson. Has he fallen behind the others?
I did not see # 5 at all. He may be one of the dinged up few. I really don't know.
We might need to check the transfer portal. :shock:
Not on Furman’s online roster. Was he previously listed?
yes, he was.
Jasper liked this
 #41996  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm
In the old / pre-portal days there was a saying College Football Coaches used to, knowingly, recite to one another… “Coach, I’m on tell ya…they transfer for a reason.”

Not sure, but maybe that phrase still has some validity.
 #41998  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:33 pm
Well he was pretty damn good. So if he bailed it means a guy who was pretty damn good saw better guys in front of him. One in particular I think. So I’m still trying to be excited.
FUBeAR liked this
 #42002  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:02 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Well he was pretty damn good. So if he bailed it means a guy who was pretty damn good saw better guys in front of him. One in particular I think. So I’m still trying to be excited.
Minson was taking 3rd snaps in the previous practice I was at. Only Sisson and Wilson ahead of him and he looked pretty polished. Hard to say what happens in a few days with these kids. I assume he was on scholarship. Is that correct?
 #42003  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 am
Maybe he quickly realized that HS was going to start regardless and he was not going to get a fair chance? We all felt HS had a lock on the starting job too so its understandable. It really seems that way as he was never seen in any of the quick video clips or even practice pictures, interviews, it was always #9.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #42004  by FurmAlum
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 am
He was pretty fired up about coming to Furman on his tweets/instagrams, so it is strange that he would quit after only 5 days. I am assuming he wasn't asked to leave.

My theory is he saw 2 QB's that were better than he was and 2 other walk-on QB's that were just as good and decided he needed to get out quick and find a place where he could play. I have no real evidence that this was the case.

It boggles my mind that someone would voluntarily give up a scholarship to Furman.
 #42005  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:34 am
This pretty much ends the QB speculation if there ever was any. Its Hamps team/job 100 percent now. Never thought anyone would really have a chance to win the job knowing this staff but thought CM might have a chance to figure in at some point during the season. Like FurmAlum said he seemed very enthuiastic about Furman and to see him quit the before the first week is up is troublesome. The QB depth has quickly took a hit and this is disappointing. 😒
 #42006  by AstroDin
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:34 am
This pretty much ends the QB speculation if there ever was any. Its Hamps team/job 100 percent now. Never thought anyone would really have a chance to win the job knowing this staff but thought CM might have a chance to figure in at some point during the season. Like FurmAlum said he seemed very enthuiastic about Furman and to see him quit the before the first week is up is troublesome. The QB depth has quickly took a hit and this is disappointing. 😒

All I’ll say is that this isn’t true. I’m not going to speculate in public about why Colt left. But it wasn’t because he wasn’t going to get a fair shot. Things happen in young persons life that lead to sometimes having to make a hard decision based on what’s good for you.

We have an excellent new quarterback in there stable Jace Wilson - let’s go!
FUBeAR, din23, MNORM liked this
 #42007  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:16 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Maybe but not necessarily. Could he see that in a less than a week?
 #42008  by Sad Din
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am
Let me get this straight....

somebody goes to a practice, doesnt see a player and now folks are wishing him fair-de-doo?

somebody else sees a frosh run a few plays under controlled conditions and annoints said player as the #2. (a week into fall camp mind you)

Can SD ask you all a question?

U outta your darn minds?
 #42009  by fupaladin01
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:47 am
Can anyone confirm if the players have had their medical evaluations yet? If a player were to have a health issue of a certain seriousness, and get a negative assessment, that player may have to discontinue sports regardless of their potential or love for FU. The longer we go with no public news of a transfer, the more likely the issue was a private one.
 #42011  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 pm
We don’t know for sure what’s going on. But it is very possible for a QB to see that there are better guys in front of him. These guys aren’t stupid. They’ve been to many, many camps. They can see right away where they stack up athletically.

Unfortunately it is also possible to see when someone is ahead of you on a depth chart for no apparent reason. Sometimes it’s a Jake Fromm situation which isn’t so obvious. But you lose Justin Fields. Sometimes it’s crazy as hell like the Cole Stoudt situation where you lose Chad Kelly but fortunately hang on to Deshaun Watson.

I’m not willing to let myself believe we’re doing the Stoudt thing. I’m guessing he saw an understandable reluctance to drop a starter all the way down to 3, and also saw a kid from Texas who was way better than him. Or maybe he just didn’t like Greenville. Or maybe he hasn’t really quit.
 #42012  by cavedweller2
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 pm
Chad Kelly needed to go.