• FCS PLAYOFFS

#40202  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am
I do love a 16 team bracket.

NDSU is not seeded and could likely play on the road in the playoffs (other than the title game) for the first time in forever.

#40203  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 pm
As expected VMI not only didn’t get a good draw they get the #1 team in the country.
 #40204  by Sad Din
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:12 pm
yep. thats because Davey in the Pioneer League is a better team and conference than those in the Socon!
bj93 liked this
 #40205  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:19 pm
Sad Din wrote:
yep. thats because Davey in the Pioneer League is a better team and conference than those in the Socon!
. . . or both VMI and James Madison are in the same state.
 #40207  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:51 pm
Samford & ETSU were 2 of 4 “last teams out.” SE Louisiana & Murray State were the other 2.

Tells me a few things...

SoCon not as un-respected as we think. I didn’t see either of those having a whit of consideration for a Playoff berth

Coach Hatcher must have had an inkling of them being ‘in the conversation’ when he didn’t kneel it out up 3 scores with a minute left yesterday.

If ETSU had been able to get another game (to replace 1 of the games that ChattaQuitta & Wof-Fraud had committed to play, but then were too afraid to honor their commitments), as S. ILL did, and won it, they probably would have been in. Samford also, but I don’t think they tried to get another game as ETSU said they did.

ChattaQuitta’s & Wof-Fraud’s BS, possibly, cost Samford & ETSU their CHANCE at making the Playoffs & probably cost the SoCon getting 2 Teams, possibly 3 Teams, in the Playoffs. QUITTERS!

Mercer was, most likely, IN, with a win yesterday.
FurmAlum liked this
 #40210  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:32 pm
The mental aspect of the game is huge. After our snap hit DeLuca in the VMI game they started believing in themselves and we headed in the other direction. Somewhere mentally we lost it after this although I know there were a physical aspect to our losses also.

I missed the playoff selection show. Did we get in? If not, we were “oh so close.”
 #40213  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm
Davidson IN. OMG.
Just used to San Diego always getting that leagues auto bid but Davey upset them. Some teams got in playing only 3 games. Funny thing if FU wins the last 2 and finished 5-2 they would prolly be in.
 #40214  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:19 pm
Sad Din wrote:
. . . or both VMI and James Madison are in the same state.
......and 60 miles or less than an hour apart, but still they could just as easily sent Davey to JMU which is 3 hours away.
 #40215  by Affirm
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Well, I guess Davey got in due to winning their conference, just like VMI got in due to winning their conference.
This does remind all the "not the Pioneer League for Furman" (99.5% of the people who post on UFFP) that Pioneer League is STILL FCS football, and it gives me a new chance today to say Furman ought to consider going Pioneer Football League. (But I know the response: "we we're Oh So Close" to beating VMI; we will be great next year, or at least by the year after that, or the next, or the next, or the next....")
Actually, we ARE good enough now, and we WILL BE good enough by the 200th anniversary of the founding of Furman (whether or not we even have football by then).
Roundball liked this
 #40217  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Monmouth, Davidson, Holy Cross and Sacred Heart IN

Furman OUT

I never could have imagined that happening in my lifetime. It may say something about parity and COVID-19 but it also tells us something about Furman football.
Last edited by purplehorse on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #40218  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Monmouth, Davidson, Holy Cross and Davidson IN

Furman OUT

I never could have imagined that happening in my lifetime. It may say something about parity and COVID-19 but it also tells us something about Furman football.

Monmouth, Davidson, and Holy Cross have nothing to do with Furman or parity in the FCS. Those teams were awarded the automatic bids from their conference. Furman has nothing to do with it.
 #40219  by FurmAlum
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
BS on that. I bet Davidson would be in the bottom half of the Socon. Holy Cross and Sacred Heart too.