• Coaching Changes

#40139  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 pm
gman84 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:18 pm
The 2020/21 FCS football season needs to have a big ole asterisk next to it. It's a failed, botched, screwed up attempt of a season! Our spring season results... pretty unacceptable. That said, I am not going to criticize the efforts by the coaches, players, or any support staff because of the results. These people were placed in a situation totally different than any other season ever. This isn't an excuse, just an objective fact. Furman has several issues that need to be addressed before the fall season. We have a staff that knows how to win. I'm sure they know a repeat of this spring will not be accepted. Everyone has an opinion as to what should happen...the coaches do too. I'm lucky I don't have a message board to remind me every time I screw up.
The only reason it failed was because some coaches, conferences, schools, AD’s, players etc were not committed as they shoukd have been and sought an easy out asap. With that said when the 16 team field is announced on Sunday I am sure those 16 teams will be excited and ready to play. If we had lived up to expectations we’d be all in too.
 #40140  by Paul C
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:43 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 pm
Hendrix isn’t going anywhere. I hope he does better or at least gives GQ a stern do better talk. If we don’t do better, I reserve the right to gripe on the UFFP. Somehow I don’t think CH will get all shook up by that.
GQ probably harder on himself than anyone else could be.
Fred Garvin liked this
 #40142  by Thorny
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 pm
As long as we are discussing coaching changes...

Who honestly thinks that we would have a better luck with a different OC who was hired in BLOODY MAY knowing that they would be expected to produce instantaneous results as the fans aren't going to tolerate several more seasons for Hendrix to get things together, at a school with a questionable track record of late going back 10+ years, and using a system that utilizes the skill sets of the current players that a previously reputable OC couldn't get results with.

I'm not sure about GQ either but there is no way that Furman looks like a smart career move for up and coming coaching talent right now.
Last edited by Thorny on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #40145  by Thorny
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 pm
And I don't know how responsibilities are divided up but we do have a offensive line/running game coordinator that is relatively new to that position...

Why is he getting no heat?
 #40148  by apaladin
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:29 am
Thorny wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 pm
As long as we are discussing coaching changes...

Who honestly thinks that we would have a better luck with a different OC who was hired in BLOODY MAY knowing that they would be expected to produce instantaneous results as the fans aren't going to tolerate several more seasons for Hendrix to get things together, at a school with a questionable track record of late going back 10+ years, and using a system that utilizes the skill sets of the current players that a previously reputable OC couldn't get results with.
Raising my hand!
 #40154  by JohnW
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 pm
When things go this wrong there has to be changes. Because it is Furman I do not think anyone will be let go but maybe there will be some reassignment of coaches. One thing is certain come fall there needs to be another QB on the roster capable of starting and capable of running the 2019 offense. Whatever the reason it changed in the first place, personnel, coaches on crack... it needs to be junked.
 #40163  by Thorny
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm
I'm also going to throw this out there.

It has been repeatedly brought up by several on here that they want to go outside the Furman coaching tree. I'm always for getting the best coach we can but...

Fowler & Hendrix had impeccable resumes, experience, and were solid fits for Furman outside of their connections/history with Furman. I'm not sure how hiring coaches from Furman's glory days that moved onto bigger and better things with continued success is dumb.

Right now most on here view Mercer as the next perennial power of the Socon and they have yet to touch someone outside of our coaching tree.

It is just such a bs critique that it irritates me.
FUBeAR liked this
 #40166  by youwouldno
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm
Thorny wrote:

It has been repeatedly brought up by several on here that they want to go outside the Furman coaching tree. I'm always for getting the best coach we can but...

Fowler & Hendrix had impeccable resumes, experience, and were solid fits for Furman outside of their connections/history with Furman. I'm not sure how hiring coaches from Furman's glory days that moved onto bigger and better things with continued success is dumb.

Right now most on here view Mercer as the next perennial power of the Socon and they have yet to touch someone outside of our coaching tree.

Actually it's an entirely reasonable critique, because what used to work at Furman might not work anymore, and people who have succeeded for decades with one approach are not necessarily the best ones to dramatically change course.

I mean, in theory it can be done - Jerry Moore did it at App St - but no one here expects a true overhaul in any aspect of the program.
 #40170  by Furmanoid
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm
Thorny wrote:

Actually it's an entirely reasonable critique, because what used to work at Furman might not work anymore, and people who have succeeded for decades with one approach are not necessarily the best ones to dramatically change course.

I mean, in theory it can be done - Jerry Moore did it at App St - but no one here expects a true overhaul in any aspect of the program.
OK I guess I started the tree chopping bs. I never said the last three hires were dumb. I wasn’t crazy about giving so much emphasis to FU ties, but OK these guys had coached on some good FU teams. But now we’ve tried it 3 times. It hasn’t been awful, but it hasn’t been great (ok at times it’s awful). So why is it crazy to consider trying something else? Why would it be stupid to look at winning head coaches who are non tree?

And consider this. The youngest glory days coaches are in their 40’s (depending on how you define glory days). When CH moves out they’ll be in their 50’s or close. Do we have to give more 50 somethings their first HC gigs? Or do we need to bring in younger guys from Fowler’s teams?
 #40174  by Thorny
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 pm
I'll start here.

I'm not sure the youngsters from Fowler's teams moved on to bigger and better things.

Not sure any of the Furman faithful would be excited about having them either.

You're right, I'm not sure going forward if there will be smart choices but an SEC defensive coordinator and Assistant Head Coach at Air Force are solid hires.
Roundball liked this
 #40465  by Furmanoid
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am
This is encouraging news sort of. It appears there was a recognition all around that something needed to change.

On the other hand it appears that the FU OL job is treated as almost an entry level gig. We’re going from a really young guy to a really, really young guy who wasn’t even a lineman.

But on the third hand, the guy majored in math at Furman, so he’s clearly smart as hell and probably just soaks up everything CH teaches him. Might be so smart he can even think out of the box a little.
 #40466  by The Jackal
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am
This is encouraging news sort of. It appears there was a recognition all around that something needed to change.

On the other hand it appears that the FU OL job is treated as almost an entry level gig. We’re going from a really young guy to a really, really young guy who wasn’t even a lineman.

But on the third hand, the guy majored in math at Furman, so he’s clearly smart as hell and probably just soaks up everything CH teaches him. Might be so smart he can even think out of the box a little.

If you read the article, it says Pete Lusk is going to law school. I don't think it had anything to do with "something needing to change."
 #40468  by FUBeAR
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:59 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:13 am
Dang it! I knew I shoulda returned that call from Coach Hendrix.

Thought it was just another Dins Day solicitation. Snooze I lose, I guess.