• Other SoCon Games

#37832  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:46 pm
On the news tonight, they said they had 4 opt out and had some injuries, no Covid issues apparently. What would they do if covid guidelines were not there. They would play of course. Sounds like they are taking advantage of tge situation. Should be a forfeit,
Affirm, QCGlue, purplehorse liked this
 #37836  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 am
apaladin wrote:
On the news tonight, they said they had 4 opt out and had some injuries, no Covid issues apparently. What would they do if covid guidelines were not there. They would play of course. Sounds like they are taking advantage of tge situation. Should be a forfeit,
WTH does "opt out" mean? For the season or this week's game? Are we to the point where a player can decide from week to week whether or not he wants to go?
QCGlue liked this
 #37837  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 am
apaladin wrote:
WTH does "opt out" mean? For the season or this week's game? Are we to the point where a player can decide from week to week whether or not he wants to go?
Pre-Covid, Players could decide week to week whether or not they wanted to go.

But, in this context, the reference is to 3 Woffy DLmen, who decided, at some point prior to 2/20, that they wanted to opt out of this season and the NCAA guideline (maybe it’s a rule?) is that schools cannot change their scholarship status because of their decision to opt out.

Now, the interesting thing is I saw that number, in some reports has ‘grown’ from 3 to 4 “opt-outs.” The original reports were 3 “opt-outs,” 4 injured (with Conklin implying they all needed ‘optional’ surgeries).

Also, interesting to note that reports have changed from the SoCon guidelines for minimum number of Players in a position group to ‘required’ minimum number of Players and using terminology such as “Wofford has fallen below the SoCon required threshold.” FUBeAR would REALLY love to see the document ‘requiring’ Teams to have a certain minimum number of Players at each position group. I wonder what is the minimum ‘requirement’ for numbers of “Jokers,” “Bandits,” “Spurs,” “H-Backs.” Mercer only lists 3 WR’s on their roster. Surely, that’s below the “required” minimum. Do they have to forfeit their Win over the bellhops for breaking SoCon ‘required’ regulations?

Horse manure...and now Woffy is getting the media to spin their chicken-shiite move as if they are the ‘victim’ of unfortunate, unforeseen, but ‘required’ circumstances - when the facts are - They didn’t prepare (maybe). They could play. They don’t want to play because they don’t want that 2nd L to knock them completely out of the SoCon race 3 weeks into the season.
Affirm liked this
 #37841  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:38 am
The silly thing is that they are short at D line. How long would cross training an o line guy take? I’m thinking around 15 minutes.
 #37842  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:15 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:38 am
The silly thing is that they are short at D line. How long would cross training an o line guy take? I’m thinking around 15 minutes.
Wofford fans noted this on their forum earlier, but they were already thin on the defensive line before the season started.
 #37850  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:26 am
Perhaps Wofford should go ahead and opt out of the season. Their issue doesn't sound like a Covid issue, except for those 3-4 who decided early to quit.

Definition of Opt-out: I quit.
 #37852  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm
It is interesting the the tweet from the SoCon says the game has been "postponed", not "cancelled". Since these teams don't share a bye week, is there any conceivable time that they could make this game up? Or should we just consider it cancelled? I guess if neither makes the playoffs they could play it after the slate of games is complete, but why bother?
 #37855  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
It is interesting the the tweet from the SoCon says the game has been "postponed", not "cancelled". Since these teams don't share a bye week, is there any conceivable time that they could make this game up? Or should we just consider it cancelled? I guess if neither makes the playoffs they could play it after the slate of games is complete, but why bother?
Chatt cancelled their home game vs. VMI in week 1 and that one is still listed as “Postponed.” If other Teams, in future weeks are unable (or in Woffy’s case, unwilling) to play games, things could line up so that a “Postponed” game could be played. Unlikely for ETSU...since they already had their bye week. Man, Woffy really has this figured and want no part of ETSU. I bet, if / as soon as Woffy is out of the race, they will completely shut it down. If Sammy beats ‘em next week, I doubt they play another game. GO BULLDOGS!!!
 #37860  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm
5 defensive lineman sounds like plenty to me,
sounds like 5 too many of those cretins to FUBeAR.
 #37876  by purplehorse
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
No way essentially that any makeup games will be played. I mean look at basketball.
 #37878  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:57 pm
How can you cancel a game with no Covid issues and get away with it?

Answer - Cause the SoCon Home Office is in Spartanburg???

This smells so bad. What a bunch of whimps.
apaladin liked this
 #37880  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:52 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:57 pm
How can you cancel a game with no Covid issues and get away with it?

Answer - Cause the SoCon Home Office is in Spartanburg???

This smells so bad. What a bunch of whimps.
Ya think some of the loose bills fell off the $150mil wad Uncle Jerry just dropped off at Woffy, maybe fell out of his pockets when he was visiting the SoCon Offices around the corner?

SEC Guidelines Announced https://www.secsports.com/article/2991 ... uled-games

Seriously - I want to see the SoCon Guidelines and their date of issue to ALL SoCon Teams. The SoCon posted on their website that Woffy did have a position group whose able-bodied number fell below the SoCon guidelines.

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/3/1/ ... poned.aspx

Fine...I mean, I don’t understand why SEC Teams only need 4 DLmen & SoCon Teams need 50% more than that. But, if that threshold was included in the SoCon Guidelines that were issued to all SoCon Teams BEFORE 2/20, then I’m good with it. Then, though, I would still want to see, as clearly as the SEC explained their guidelines, IF Teams can still choose to play even if they don’t meet the minimum guidelines.

If they are only guidelines, and Woffy could play if’n they wanted to, then they (and the media) need to STOP using the words “required” and “mandated” as they are now doing.

Look, you don’t want to play because you are afraid of losing because you don’t have all you Players & you, just yesterday, are now “considering” taking actions to address an issue you knew you had at least 4 weeks ago. That’s fine. Just OWN it. Don’t act like you are a freakin’ downtrodden victim and then try to slough YOUR (chicken-shiite) decision & YOUR failure to properly prepare YOUR Football Team off on the ‘meanies’ at the SoCon Office who are preventing you from playing your designated schedule.

Just OWN it!
bj93, FurmAlum liked this
 #37881  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 am
Remember, this is also the team where a bunch of the defensive staff (including the head coach) was trying to take other jobs as the season was getting started. Maybe now we are seeing why. The depth chart would eventually be exposed.

Opt outs and injuries aside, how does Wofford have so few defensive linemen?