• Grainger Leaving

#34005  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm
Shiflett
When was the last time he actually practiced regularly at the QB position? He had been moved to WR early on at MTSU, right? And he's only been a WR at Furman?

I mean, as an emergency QB, okay, sure. But for a team trying to be nationally relevant? Not even close.
 #34008  by fu77fan
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:49 pm
I wish he would change his mind. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Two quarterbacks can both get to play ! You never know about injuries etc.

I am disappointed !!!!
apaladin, dornb, din23 liked this
 #34009  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm
Shiflett
When was the last time he actually practiced regularly at the QB position? He had been moved to WR early on at MTSU, right? And he's only been a WR at Furman?

I mean, as an emergency QB, okay, sure. But for a team trying to be nationally relevant? Not even close.
He went through his whole first summer practice here as a QB. And he’s back at QB now, will get a bunch of reps in Jan-February preseason practice and he knows the O.
 #34010  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:28 pm
1. From why I have seen, being I the transfer portal doesn’t necessarily mean 100% transfer. I think it has become fairly common for players to announce an intent to transfer and then, for whatever reason, opt to stay.

2. Yes it is a lot easier to transfer than it used to be. I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing, but I never like it when big schools come in and poach a kid from a smaller program that another staff identified and developed.

3. I went through this extensively on another thread, but Furman’s gaps at QB is a product of some inopportune flameouts and recruiting misses. There’s a signing day next week when Wilson is expected to join the program. If necessary, I’m sure Furman could find another kid before the February signing date.

4. We saw this during the year, but Furman never seemed like it was going to rotate QBs. Whomever they started typically played the game. You knew at some point one of the two would get the inside track and be the guy. Maybe that’s Siason.
 #34011  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
4. We saw this during the year, but Furman never seemed like it was going to rotate QBs. Whomever they started typically played the game. You knew at some point one of the two would get the inside track and be the guy. Maybe that’s Siason.
This is completely opposite what was being said all off-season, before the news broke about Grainger.
 #34012  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 am
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
This is completely opposite what was being said all off-season, before the news broke about Grainger.
I realize the coach said something like "we'll play both of them," but we weren't running a two QB system. One of those guys was going to be the primary QB.

Look at last year. Grainger started the season and then had back to back rough games against the Citadel and WCU. To that point, Sisson had really only played in mop up duty. Grainger started against UTC, but was pulled after a few series. Sisson started against VMI and then Wofford. Against Wofford, they pulled Sisson for Grainger, but everyone looked bad that game. Grainger started against Point and Austin Peay, but both guys played because those games were blowouts.

At no point did the coaching staff signal that we were going to be a two QB system. It's not like they were rotating series or being used in special situations. The starter was the starter until they weren't effective, and then they tried the other guy.
apaladin liked this
 #34014  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:54 am
We have to remember as fans we don't get to choose what is in the best interest of a player.
A player's reasons for leaving could be anything. From playing time to family issues to academics.
We really don't know what's at the heart of this related to Grainger, and it's not my business.

What I do believe to be true is that Darren was treated fairly at Furman and given every chance to earn the starting QB job. The flip side of the coin - and this should make us feel optimistic. Is Sisson hung in there got his opportunity to play at UTC and played a helluva game. In the off-season, it appears Sisson busted his butt and improved. That's what we want to see.

If possible I would love to see Darren stay…

In the meantime, we have what looks to be a great recruiting class committing next week. Yes, Jace had 10 intercepts and nine touchdowns, along with over 1800 yards leading the Kati district in passing. I can go on about a first-year coaching staff changing Mayde from a running team to a spread option. It doesn't really matter - the coaches like Wilson, I think he's a talent, we will see.
PalaDad, MNORM liked this
 #34020  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:14 pm
Shiflett is still listed as a WR on the 2020 roster. If you click on his name it takes you to the 2019 roster where he is listed as a QB. Grainger is also still listed on the roster, which I thought he wasn’t this afternoon but prolly just missed it. 4 other QBs on the roster besides Hardin but I’m guessing they are all walk ons.
Probably is Shiflett at QB, but to APs point the website (furmanpaladins.com) is not working correctly. When you click on a guy it changes years. Just an FYI - I click on Shiflett bio it goes from 2020 to 2019. That is why it sayd "QB". Once it went back to 2012 ! Interweb issues.
 #34021  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:48 am
AstroDin wrote:
We have to remember as fans we don't get to choose what is in the best interest of a player.
A player's reasons for leaving could be anything. From playing time to family issues to academics.
We really don't know what's at the heart of this related to Grainger, and it's not my business.

What I do believe to be true is that Darren was treated fairly at Furman and given every chance to earn the starting QB job. The flip side of the coin - and this should make us feel optimistic. Is Sisson hung in there got his opportunity to play at UTC and played a helluva game. In the off-season, it appears Sisson busted his butt and improved. That's what we want to see.

In the meantime, we have what looks to be a great recruiting class committing next week. Yes, Jace had 10 intercepts and nine touchdowns, along with over 1800 yards leading the Kati district in passing. I can go on about a first-year coaching staff changing Mayde from a running team to a spread option. It doesn't really matter - the coaches like Wilson, I think he's a talent, we will see.
Astro, question for you as you know this stuff better than me - any chance Jace can enroll in January??
(he still probably couldn't play until fall as I perhaps understand this weird year).

That's NOT a cut on anyone. I fully expect - through his hard work and talent !! - Sisson to be the man and possibly Shiflett at number two. But would be a bonus if Jace had practiced with us in the spring.

---
(Also, in a TV interview I think Grainger mentioned a return to Furman was POSSIBLE: Brandon Dunn
@BDunnsports
·
15h Spoke w/former
@ConwayTigersFB

@CTigerAthletics QB
@_DarrenGrainger about his decision to transfer from
@PaladinFootball
. However, he did leave the door open for a possible return.

"I appreciate all they've done for me the Furman family and the fans. I appreciate everything."
Darren Grainger
@_DarrenGrainger
·
 #34023  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:55 am
I would not, for two seconds, get too wrapped up in high school stats.

Competition level matters. Jace Wilson plays in arguably one of the toughest high school divisions in the country, and certainly one of the toughest in Texas.

You also need to let a talented kid get in with coaching. Wilson does not necessarily need to hit the field this fall. He needs to get in the program, develop, and get better.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #34026  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 am
Anybody know if Furman has a shot at Trent Pearman from Daniel? That kid went off on my Camden Bulldogs last week for 29-33, 486 yds and 6 td’s in the AAA state championship. I’m sure he can go sit the bench at Clemson if he wants considering who he was throwing some of those passes to. He graduates in ‘22.
 #34027  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:17 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:48 am
AstroDin wrote:

Astro, question for you as you know this stuff better than me - any chance Jace can enroll in January??
(he still probably couldn't play until fall as I perhaps understand this weird year).

That's NOT a cut on anyone. I fully expect - through his hard work and talent !! - Sisson to be the man and possibly Shiflett at number two. But would be a bonus if Jace had practiced with us in the spring.

---
(Also, in a TV interview I think Grainger mentioned a return to Furman was POSSIBLE: Brandon Dunn
@BDunnsports
·
15h Spoke w/former
@ConwayTigersFB

@CTigerAthletics QB
@_DarrenGrainger about his decision to transfer from
@PaladinFootball
. However, he did leave the door open for a possible return.

"I appreciate all they've done for me the Furman family and the fans. I appreciate everything."
Darren Grainger
@_DarrenGrainger
·
I mentioned this on the other thread, but it isn't uncommon for a player to announce entry into the transfer portal and then change their mind. Entering the portal is not, as I understand it, the same as transferring. It helps facilitate the process.

Case in point, Mercer's stud running back, Tryay Devezin, announced last year he was entering the portal. He's still Mercer's running back.

I think, in some instance, it allows a player to explore their options and talk to other programs. Maybe during that time Grainger realizes that Furman is the best place for him. Maybe he opts to go somewhere else. I just think this allows him the chance to have those conversations.
 #34033  by Davemeister
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:40 am
I wonder if the players knew this was happening when they voted Sisson a Team Captain.
 #34034  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:29 am
I think it’s best for all parties involved. Grainger and Sisson have what it takes to be QB1. It never made much sense to me to have both either rotating in a game or thru the season based on who’s player better. From Furman standpoint you want consistency. That wasn’t there last year and showed against Citadel, Wofford, and Austin Peay. Both players need to be “the guy” to develop that consistency. Sure Furman takes a hit in the depth chart but it’s not like the offense depends on QB runs. The option needs to be there, but it’s not really the first option. I think the offense looked best when PJ was there and I think Sisson has a lot of those same qualities. Not sure if Shiflet will be QB2 or Hardin, but that’s plenty good for me at QB depth. I recall Shiflet coming to Furman for the chance to remain a QB and thought it was strange to be put right back at WR. I think we see him as a viable backup there but also contributing in the return game and WR. It’s gonna be fine. I sure like knowing who the QB is and I’m sure the offense does too. Wish Grainger the absolute best and hopefully he can jump to FBS.
PalaDad liked this