#34197  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Just reading through some old press releases:

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020/10 ... eason.aspx
"It's year three for those guys from a development standpoint, so they are certainly at the point where they can lead us. We have confidence in them running our offense. Darren has made a lot of improvement, and Hamp might have improved as much as anybody on our team, increasing his arm strength, which he needed to do. I'm not sure anybody in our program works as hard as he does. We feel really good about having those two guys back. They are a lot more consistent than they were a year ago."
We all hope that is true, but it doesn’t change the fact that we are now one injury away from being in big trouble. FYI there are currently 28 FBS QB’s in the transfer portal.

I noted this on the other thread, but transfer QBs aren't a panacea. Most are transferring for a reason. There's no guarantee that any of them would be better than Sisson or would be interested in sitting behind a redshirt sophomore.

The general point of depth, though, is a good one. As far as I am aware, outside of Sisson, there's only one other QB - Hardin - who has even played at the position.

Luke Shiflett, I guess, is a bit of a wild card. I assume that if Shiflett were an upgrade at QB over either Grainger or Sisson, he'd be playing QB, not WR.
 #34201  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

"It's year three for those guys from a development standpoint, so they are certainly at the point where they can lead us. We have confidence in them running our offense. Darren has made a lot of improvement, and Hamp might have improved as much as anybody on our team, increasing his arm strength, which he needed to do. I'm not sure anybody in our program works as hard as he does. We feel really good about having those two guys back. They are a lot more consistent than they were a year ago."
We all hope that is true, but it doesn’t change the fact that we are now one injury away from being in big trouble. FYI there are currently 28 FBS QB’s in the transfer portal.

I noted this on the other thread, but transfer QBs aren't a panacea. Most are transferring for a reason. There's no guarantee that any of them would be better than Sisson or would be interested in sitting behind a redshirt sophomore.

The general point of depth, though, is a good one. As far as I am aware, outside of Sisson, there's only one other QB - Hardin - who has even played at the position.

Luke Shiflett, I guess, is a bit of a wild card. I assume that if Shiflett were an upgrade at QB over either Grainger or Sisson, he'd be playing QB, not WR.
Correct, and I guess we all think the next transfer QB if we ever get one would be another IM which most likely was a once in a lifetime for Furman. Regardless we need depth from somewhere.
 #34203  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Correct, and I guess we all think the next transfer QB if we ever get one would be another IM which most likely was a once in a lifetime for Furman. Regardless we need depth from somewhere.

Few transfer players are truly transcendent. With the new rules in place (very different than 15 years ago), I'm not sure we will see a lot of guys like Martin and Flacco transfer into the FCS ranks.

QB is tough. With scholarship limitations, any misses in recruiting or transfers out really effects depth.

Now, perhaps anticipating this, Furman did bring in a bunch of walk-ons this season at QB. So, there are plenty of bodies. Sometimes the walk-ons are just needing an opportunity to prove themselves. As everyone knows, we've had some walk-ons turn into some very good players for us.
 #34658  by chadercook
 Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:36 am
we have two good quarterbacks!

Im waiting for some duel QB lineups with some play action throws. why not?
 #34675  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Right, not negative.. Just a fact, we are now very very thin at QB. And no knock on Hardin - I hope he is stellar - but were he top two he would have been on the depth chart ahead of Sisson and Grainger. He was Not. So one injury to Sisson and we are either playing a guy we wanted at WR (Shiflett)... or a guy who was third or fourth on the QB chart
(Hardin)

Say what you will about succession planning - that's not my argument here. Simply that no one can deny we are very thin at QB. To deny that would be a bit foolish.. We have One starter in Hamp and then .. a big ? mark. I have seen that due to injuries (the NFL team recently that had ZERO QBs for example).. but almost never coming in to a year.

looking ahead, we are still thin Next year - and that does bother me. Hamp as a junior starter - great.. but behind him we will have a true Freshman in Jace. As we have mostly agreed this is exactly what he have been trying to get away from - where a freshman has to play or is one injury away from playing. I bet we go after another QB next year for three scholarship QBs unless Shiflett turns out to be a good one - which he may, he is a good athlete
 #34679  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 am
I mean, it isn't panic button time or anything.

First, Grainger is technically still on the roster. Entering the transfer portal effectively gives a player the chance to speak with other schools, but does not guarantee that he will actually transfer. Maybe none of his options are better than what he's currently got. He probably will transfer, but as of now, has not.

Second, it is not as though Furman historically carries a small army of experienced QBs on the roster. In most seasons, the starter is the starter and plays most of the snaps unless there is an injury or mop up job. So, while you'd like an experienced backup, that's more of an exception than the rule.

Third, Hardin isn't necessarily a newbie. He's a redshirt junior that saw a lot of field time last year on special teams (he's the holder). He also played in a few games, has spent a few years in this offense, and has looked competent in limited action.

Remember, we made the playoffs in 2013 starting everyone but the cheerleading coach at QB. We are a run-first offense completing a good defensive football team. Our coaching staff will have guys ready to go.
 #34768  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:

First, Grainger is technically still on the roster. Entering the transfer portal effectively gives a player the chance to speak with other schools, but does not guarantee that he will actually transfer. Maybe none of his options are better than what he's currently got. He probably will transfer, but as of now, has not.

Second, it is not as though Furman historically carries a small army of experienced QBs on the roster. In most seasons, the starter is the starter and plays most of the snaps unless there is an injury or mop up job. So, while you'd like an experienced backup, that's more of an exception than the rule.

Third, Hardin isn't necessarily a newbie. He's a redshirt junior that saw a lot of field time last year on special teams (he's the holder). He also played in a few games, has spent a few years in this offense, and has looked competent in limited action.

Remember, we made the playoffs in 2013 starting everyone but the cheerleading coach at QB. We are a run-first offense completing a good defensive football team. Our coaching staff will have guys ready to go.
Jackal, True, but - just facts - weren't we LAST in the SoCon in offense that year? I think you have used the word "unsustainable" in referencing how we made the playoffs that year. And it was.. you can't be dead last in O and hope to make the postseason consistently. We were great on D and special teams that year but you need all 3 phases. Thus that coaching regime is no longer here.

We have been, and want to be again, in a place where (like I see on DL etc) we have a junior.senior QB with a game ready sophomore behind him.. and then maybe a true freshman who gets to redshirt. 3 scholarship QBs - senior/sophm/fresh or something similar

Let me be clear, I see the depth this coaching staff is getting at many positions.. we just need more at QB and I am sure they will get it. Next year will be better with Hamp 1, Shiflett?2 and Jace at 3 or something like that. By fall there should be at least more depth
 #34778  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:20 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal, True, but - just facts - weren't we LAST in the SoCon in offense that year? I think you have used the word "unsustainable" in referencing how we made the playoffs that year. And it was.. you can't be dead last in O and hope to make the postseason consistently. We were great on D and special teams that year but you need all 3 phases. Thus that coaching regime is no longer here.

We have been, and want to be again, in a place where (like I see on DL etc) we have a junior.senior QB with a game ready sophomore behind him.. and then maybe a true freshman who gets to redshirt. 3 scholarship QBs - senior/sophm/fresh or something similar

Let me be clear, I see the depth this coaching staff is getting at many positions.. we just need more at QB and I am sure they will get it. Next year will be better with Hamp 1, Shiflett?2 and Jace at 3 or something like that. By fall there should be at least more depth
I mean, I think that sort of conflates the argument. We were last in total yards, but not scoring. I mostly ignore the total yards statistic because football is a team game and the goal is to score, not to move the ball. It also ignores that in games Reese Hannon started (he was the starter, but missed much of the first half of the season with injury), the offense was pretty good. In games started by non-Hannon QBs and against LSU and NDSU, we didn't do so hot.

We did have an unsustainably high turnover margin that made scoring for our offense much easier. We had a number of non-offensive touchdowns and plenty of good field position. Again, though, the name of the game is to score, not rack up yards.

But that misses the point. Point is that we won a SoCon title and made the playoffs with a complete mess of a situation at QB. We were down, I think, to our fourth string walk-on QB starting two games.

I've said this plenty of times, but you ideally want to be a team with a depth chart full of cyborgs that can push over buildings and run like a freight train. That's not reality, though. Wishing something were the case isn't particularly helpful.

I'm not concerned with who our third string guy will be. Do we know our third string left tackle? No, we don't. The coaching staff will identify someone and have him ready. That's their job.
 #34783  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I mean, I think that sort of conflates the argument. We were last in total yards, but not scoring. I mostly ignore the total yards statistic because football is a team game and the goal is to score, not to move the ball. It also ignores that in games Reese Hannon started (he was the starter, but missed much of the first half of the season with injury), the offense was pretty good. In games started by non-Hannon QBs and against LSU and NDSU, we didn't do so hot.

We did have an unsustainably high turnover margin that made scoring for our offense much easier. We had a number of non-offensive touchdowns and plenty of good field position. Again, though, the name of the game is to score, not rack up yards.

But that misses the point. Point is that we won a SoCon title and made the playoffs with a complete mess of a situation at QB. We were down, I think, to our fourth string walk-on QB starting two games.

I've said this plenty of times, but you ideally want to be a team with a depth chart full of cyborgs that can push over buildings and run like a freight train. That's not reality, though. Wishing something were the case isn't particularly helpful.

I'm not concerned with who our third string guy will be. Do we know our third string left tackle? No, we don't. The coaching staff will identify someone and have him ready. That's their job.
I think McKoy and Hope are a cyborg combination at one position. Just saying we can do better. And we are doing better - QB will get there, go Hamp !!!
 #34784  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I think McKoy and Hope are a cyborg combination at one position. Just saying we can do better. And we are doing better - QB will get there, go Hamp !!!

I think folks are forgetting how good our defense is likely going to be. You can win a lot of games surrendering 15-20 points a game and having a running game like ours.

Interestingly, I think the QB question is going to become most pointed in just a handful of plays over the course of the season - can we convert that big third down or get the late score in a tough game?
 #34789  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:45 am
Unfortunately in today’s college game defense rarely wins games. It’s an offensive game for sure.
 #34798  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:45 am
Unfortunately in today’s college game defense rarely wins games. It’s an offensive game for sure.
Good teams win games. We will be a good football team.
AstroDin liked this
 #34799  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I think folks are forgetting how good our defense is likely going to be. You can win a lot of games surrendering 15-20 points a game and having a running game like ours.

Interestingly, I think the QB question is going to become most pointed in just a handful of plays over the course of the season - can we convert that big third down or get the late score in a tough game?
agree w bold. a few first downs on third and long or score an extra time can change an entire season. As we have said so many times: complete some basic passes to keep the run game going and we will have only two or three teams who should challenge us - Chatt / Woff / Citadel are the three key ones in my mind. Of course you have to show up every week - esp this year with no room for error in conference games only. Can't give away a game we 'should win... Gotta win the other 5 (it isn't like ETSU has been easy ..) and play strong in those 3.

8-0 or 7-1 - let's win the conference
 #34978  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:12 pm
In my new-found free time this fall, I spent some time looking at college offenses running a good bit of run/pass option (RPO).

This is just speculation on my part, but it would not surprise me to see this show up in Furman's system. In my opinion, I think we have the OL, running game, QB, and finally the WR depth to be successful in that context.

I do not think we need to completely reinvent the wheel, of course, because our offense is already plenty capable. I just think that RPO would add another level of difficulty for a defense to contend with and give us another option when defenses stack in against our running game.
PalaDad liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.