• BIG to play in fall?

#31798  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am
Not that it's bad or good, but just that it will be harder to make the post season.

I do not believe we've ever had a season where there are 10 auto bids and a 16 team field. The field increased to 20, I believe, the same year that the auto bid number increased.

So, looks like it will be only 6 at large bids for a post season.

Also, I saw this article which adds a bit of info not found on the NCAA press release:
The FCS Playoffs will feature 16 teams in the spring, eight less than the normal amount of 24 teams that usually qualify for the postseason. The FCS Playoffs are scheduled to take place from April 18 through May 15 and teams are permitted to play up to eight regular-season games.
https://www.whsv.com/2020/09/16/ncaa-an ... n-in-2021/

So, it looks like a conference only schedule for the spring. I guess there's an open question on whether the Citadel can play a conference schedule, become an "out of conference" opponent, or we need to find a non conference team for an 8th game.
The Citadel will play an 8 game SoCon schedule. Take it to the bank. FCS teams are already eligible to play 12 games in certain years depending on how many Saturdays are available in that year. I see no problem for Citadel getting a waiver or whatever they need to play a full schedule especially in this situation.
Not so fast my friend. This is an 11 game season for FCS Teams. Anonymous, but well-placed sources have told FUBeAR this is specifically the reason that Mercer only scheduled 3 games this Fall. We’ll see how it plays out. What I find interesting is that nobody, including bellhop fans & media, is talking about it...yet.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #31799  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Not that it's bad or good, but just that it will be harder to make the post season.

I do not believe we've ever had a season where there are 10 auto bids and a 16 team field. The field increased to 20, I believe, the same year that the auto bid number increased.

Also, I saw this article which adds a bit of info not found on the NCAA press release:
The FCS Playoffs will feature 16 teams in the spring, eight less than the normal amount of 24 teams that usually qualify for the postseason. The FCS Playoffs are scheduled to take place from April 18 through May 15 and teams are permitted to play up to eight regular-season games.

So, it looks like a conference only schedule for the spring. I guess there's an open question on whether the Citadel can play a conference schedule, become an "out of conference" opponent, or we need to find a non conference team for an 8th game.
The Citadel will play an 8 game SoCon schedule. Take it to the bank. FCS teams are already eligible to play 12 games in certain years depending on how many Saturdays are available in that year. I see no problem for Citadel getting a waiver or whatever they need to play a full schedule especially in this situation.
I'm sure they probably will. I doubt they would have set up their schedule as they had unless they were at least reasonable confident they could swing that.

Unrelated, but it looks like Alex Ramsey, who was VMI's stud running back that transferred to the Citadel during the offseason, has entered the transfer portal. I believe he was already opting out of Citadel's season.
 #31800  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:53 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Not so fast my friend. This is an 11 game season for FCS Teams. Anonymous, but well-placed sources have told FUBeAR this is specifically the reason that Mercer only scheduled 3 games this Fall. We’ll see how it plays out. What I find interesting is that nobody, including bellhop fans & media, is talking about it...yet.

Getting hyper technical here, but this situation does not appear to be contemplated by the bylaws. Section 17.10.5 if you get really bored.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D119.pdf

This was an 11 game season year. So is 2021. Of course, the whole idea of a fall season is out the door in terms of the schedule.

The bylaws have some exemptions built in, but they apply to championship games, playoffs, spring games, etc. Beyond that, I do not even see a provision for a waiver to just let you play more games. Of course, the NCAAs willingness or unwillingness to grant waivers is largely unpredictable (assuming one even exists here).

I think the difficulty for the Citadel may be that they opted to do this. Other SoCon schools are playing three or fewer games.

I think the Citadel may be one of only a few FCS schools opting for 4+ games this fall that may want to play again in the spring. A number of the other schools with that many games are going to sit it out (EKU, UCA), have a smaller number of conference games (Campbell), or are ineligible (North Alabama, Stephen F Austin).

Having played 12 games last year, I'm not sure what the Citadel's argument would be (assuming they have to make one). Why should they get a waiver when they are really the only one of 130 FCS schools attempting to do what they are attempting to do?

Incidentally, I noticed EKU announced an additional home game against Houston Baptist this past week. I wonder if EKU didn't schedule that game thinking that the Citadel may try to buy out their game next week.
 #31801  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm
Well it seems that FCS has thrown the bylaws out the window by allowing 19 games in 2021. The fact of the matter is that Citadel is playing 7 less games than allowed in 2020. Most teams chose to play 11 less than allowed. How is that Citadel’s problem? How can 2020 games counts against 2021? It doesn’t make sense.

In 2021 they should be allowed to play 19 like everybody else. They shouldn’t be penalized for not predicting the pretzel logic that would be used to sort this all out.
 #31802  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:25 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Well it seems that FCS has thrown the bylaws out the window by allowing 19 games in 2021. The fact of the matter is that Citadel is playing 7 less games than allowed in 2020. Most teams chose to play 11 less than allowed. How is that Citadel’s problem? How can 2020 games counts against 2021? It doesn’t make sense.

In 2021 they should be allowed to play 19 like everybody else. They shouldn’t be penalized for not predicting the pretzel logic that would be used to sort this all out.

Not really.

The NCAA mandates that an athlete can play in "in each academic year not more than 11 football contests[.]" 17.10.15.1.2. So, there is no 19 game schedule. There's 11.

Beyond that, the NCAA bylaws dictate when practices can start and stop. What you will likely see is the dates changing to accommodate for a spring season.

Schools that are already playing this fall will likely power down after their last game. This is not uncommon as, for instance, many schools do with long lag times between their final game and a bowl game.

I imagine the fall season has largely been exchanged for what would normally be spring practice while the spring season will be exchanged for the fall season.
 #31804  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:25 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Not really.

The NCAA mandates that an athlete can play in "in each academic year not more than 11 football contests[.]" 17.10.15.1.2. So, there is no 19 game schedule. There's 11.

Beyond that, the NCAA bylaws dictate when practices can start and stop. What you will likely see is the dates changing to accommodate for a spring season.

Schools that are already playing this fall will likely power down after their last game. This is not uncommon as, for instance, many schools do with long lag times between their final game and a bowl game.

I imagine the fall season has largely been exchanged for what would normally be spring practice while the spring season will be exchanged for the fall season.
Oops. Didn’t know it said “academic” year. Citadel’s screwed.
 #31807  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

You’re right...but they ARE the bellhops...so...and they use rent-a-players, who never spent a day in their Corps of Cadets, yet have an NCAA Waiver to slap “Honor,” “Duty,” and “Respect” on the backs of those rent-a-players’ jerseys...so, let ‘em have that as their NCAA Waiver & be left out of the Spring SoCon Reindeer Games...
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #31808  by FurmAlum
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am
I'd rather play in the spring with a chance at a play-off. Starting this late would probably still mean no FCS play-off. For FCS, why start now? FBS has a 4 team play-off. They can pull it off. We can't.
FYI any games played in the fall will be considered when determine at large bids. We should have played 2-3 fall games but the ship has sailed now.

I'm not sure many teams scheduled games this fall with that in mind. However, I think the way it shakes out will benefit Furman.

You are already seeing the fall games applied to the conferences' 2020 standings. The Citadel, for instance, is listed as being 0-1 in the standings. Austin Peay is 0-2 in the OVC standings.

A number of the teams that opted to play this fall are similar to Furman in terms of playoff positioning. Furman was ranked by many services in the mid-teens to start the season. Similar to Austin Peay, UCA, and slightly ahead of the Citadel.

Austin Peay, for instance, will wrap up their fall schedule this weekend, I think, against Cincinnati. They are already 0-2 and will likely be 0-3. So, if they are able to play a full conference schedule in the spring, they will all but have to win every game to make the post season.

UCA is another top 15 team. I believe they've already said they will sit out the spring.

The Citadel is in a similar boat. They were considered by many to be the SoCon's second best team, but after playing three FBS schools, they will be looking at a probable 1-3 or 0-4 record going into the spring. They also may not even be able to play a SoCon schedule and, I suppose, would be precluded from the autobid.

I think if everyone was planning on using the fall to help their championship resume, they'd have scheduled a little differently. Most teams have opted to schedule up. While that is good for the pocketbook and maybe for experience, it isn't likely to help them with a playoff at large resume.
Hah! You’ll be howling a different tune when the Mercer Bears go 3-0 this Fall, beating Army & JaxSt on the road, and Abilene Christian @ Home!

APSU’s situation is not as bad as you present it. They, most likely, will have lost a VERY competitive game to a perennial Top 10-15 FCS Team, a FBS P5 ACC, and a FBS G5 Team that went 11-3 in 2019. If they don’t win the OVC, they won’t lose many ‘style points’ with that resume. They still won’t get an At-Large berth, because they play in the OVC, but they wouldn’t have either, if they went 0-0 in the Fall. I’m sure they think these games will give them a better shot at winning the OVC in the Spring...and if they could have won 1 or 2 of them, so much the better...even though they QUIT last week...which put a big damper on FUBeAR’s growing positive opinion of their program.

Who knows about CIT.... Better question, who really cares about the bellhops. Not FUBeAR...#FUAllTheTime
APSU has under achieved so far this year. This year's team, even though they have two FCS first team All-Americans, does not seem to be as good as last years. New coach not as good either.
 #31809  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I'd rather play in the spring with a chance at a play-off. Starting this late would probably still mean no FCS play-off. For FCS, why start now? FBS has a 4 team play-off. They can pull it off. We can't.
FYI any games played in the fall will be considered when determine at large bids. We should have played 2-3 fall games but the ship has sailed now.

I'm not sure many teams scheduled games this fall with that in mind. However, I think the way it shakes out will benefit Furman.

You are already seeing the fall games applied to the conferences' 2020 standings. The Citadel, for instance, is listed as being 0-1 in the standings. Austin Peay is 0-2 in the OVC standings.

A number of the teams that opted to play this fall are similar to Furman in terms of playoff positioning. Furman was ranked by many services in the mid-teens to start the season. Similar to Austin Peay, UCA, and slightly ahead of the Citadel.

Austin Peay, for instance, will wrap up their fall schedule this weekend, I think, against Cincinnati. They are already 0-2 and will likely be 0-3. So, if they are able to play a full conference schedule in the spring, they will all but have to win every game to make the post season.

UCA is another top 15 team. I believe they've already said they will sit out the spring.

The Citadel is in a similar boat. They were considered by many to be the SoCon's second best team, but after playing three FBS schools, they will be looking at a probable 1-3 or 0-4 record going into the spring. They also may not even be able to play a SoCon schedule and, I suppose, would be precluded from the autobid.

I think if everyone was planning on using the fall to help their championship resume, they'd have scheduled a little differently. Most teams have opted to schedule up. While that is good for the pocketbook and maybe for experience, it isn't likely to help them with a playoff at large resume.
Hah! You’ll be howling a different tune when the Mercer Bears go 3-0 this Fall, beating Army & JaxSt on the road, and Abilene Christian @ Home!

APSU’s situation is not as bad as you present it. They, most likely, will have lost a VERY competitive game to a perennial Top 10-15 FCS Team, a FBS P5 ACC, and a FBS G5 Team that went 11-3 in 2019. If they don’t win the OVC, they won’t lose many ‘style points’ with that resume. They still won’t get an At-Large berth, because they play in the OVC, but they wouldn’t have either, if they went 0-0 in the Fall. I’m sure they think these games will give them a better shot at winning the OVC in the Spring...and if they could have won 1 or 2 of them, so much the better...even though they QUIT last week...which put a big damper on FUBeAR’s growing positive opinion of their program.

Who knows about CIT.... Better question, who really cares about the bellhops. Not FUBeAR...#FUAllTheTime
APSU has under achieved so far this year. This year's team, even though they have two FCS first team All-Americans, does not seem to be as good as last years. New coach not as good either.
Yep - the Head Coach they had last year was BANGIN’ ... and that seems to be exactly why he’s no longer their Head Coach.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #31810  by Furmanoid
 Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 am
Oh, I suspected that’s what it was. ED wouldn’t let something like that happen.
 #31826  by gman84
 Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Yep - the Head Coach they had last year was BANGIN’ ... and that seems to be exactly why he’s no longer their Head Coach.
Wandered what happened to him. Better have been worth it. 😉
 #31827  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 am
With a 16 team post season and 10 autobids, this would have been how the 2019 playoffs might have fallen out under the same structure (using actual pairings and seedings):

1 NDSU (MVFC auto)
Montana State (at large)

Monmouth (BSC auto)
Holy Cross (Patriot auto)

Central Arkansas (at large)
San Diego (Pioneer auto)

Northern Iowa (at large)
4 Sacramento State (at Large)

3 Weber State (Big Sky Auto)
Austin Peay (OVC Auto)

Nicholls (Southland auto)
Wofford (SoCon auto)

Montana (at large)
South Dakota State (at large)

Central Connecticut (NEC auto)
2 James Madison (CAA auto)

Not a lot of wiggle room in there. Especially in a SoCon this season that is not going to present a lot of chances for top 25 wins and probably no opportunities for top 10 wins.
FUBeAR liked this
 #31842  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 am
With a 16 team post season and 10 autobids, this would have been how the 2019 playoffs might have fallen out under the same structure (using actual pairings and seedings):

1 NDSU (MVFC auto)
Montana State (at large)

Monmouth (BSC auto)
Holy Cross (Patriot auto)

Central Arkansas (at large)
San Diego (Pioneer auto)

Northern Iowa (at large)
4 Sacramento State (at Large)

3 Weber State (Big Sky Auto)
Austin Peay (OVC Auto)

Nicholls (Southland auto)
Wofford (SoCon auto)

Montana (at large)
South Dakota State (at large)

Central Connecticut (NEC auto)
2 James Madison (CAA auto)

Not a lot of wiggle room in there. Especially in a SoCon this season that is not going to present a lot of chances for top 25 wins and probably no opportunities for top 10 wins.

Yp.. I was thinking about this too. This is why I like the 24-team playoff. APeay showed how far anyone can go on a given day taking down the 4-seed last year. This year (assuming it stays a 16 team playoff) there is almost no wiggle room. Almost (close) have to win the conference.. I would like for at least 2 teams to go myself - hate to see that first game (if it is still FU v Wof) be so important
 #31843  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm
UMass announced today they will start play in mid-October. They are an FBS independent. With the PAC-12 and MAC expected to announce a restart this week about 90 percent of FBS will wind up playing this fall and it could wind up 100%. Also So. Illinois(MVC) and SE Missouri)OVC) announced a game for October. Looks like the only ones playing winter/spring FB will be FCS teams.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.