• No 2020 Season

#30033  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:44 pm
The NHL today reported out of almost 2,500 peeps they had 2 positives. Good sign.
 #30034  by FU3
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Good news for NHL ... not sure how that helps Dins and SoCons outlook.
They moved all games out of Florida to two Canadian city’s because of infection rates, not exactly a ringing endorsement of sports in US.
 #30035  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 am
FU3 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Good news for NHL ... not sure how that helps Dins and SoCons outlook.
They moved all games out of Florida to two Canadian city’s because of infection rates, not exactly a ringing endorsement of sports in US.
The NBA tested 340 today with zero positives. Looks like the bubble might be working

The U of Oklahoma tested 100 athletes today. Only one positive which was a ladies basketball player.
 #30036  by FU3
 Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am
Still don’t know what this has to do with Furman. The NBA bubble may very well work but this isn’t a model that can work at any FCS school.
 #30039  by CharlieFU
 Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am
Fairly predictable responses to the article I posted.

His viewpoint is not much different than mine, but I do not regard myself as an alarmist.
 #30067  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:44 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 am
Interesting suggestion. “Clemson Football: Why we need to play FCS exhibitions this spring.” https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/07/22/c ... ns-spring/
I like it. I have always thought the "Spring Game" should be an actual game against another team.
 #30069  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am
Roundball wrote:
Interesting suggestion. “Clemson Football: Why we need to play FCS exhibitions this spring.” https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/07/22/c ... ns-spring/
No thank you.

Rather have an opportunity to whip their smug a$$e$ in a real game than give them a built-in excuse that they only got their a$$es whipped because it was just an exhibition for them.

Didn’t finish the article so they may have dived into the economics, but I seriously doubt an exhibition game with $10 admission fees will enable these schools to provide guarantees large enough to “save FCS.”

Now, if FCS Football would actually ‘die’ if such exhibitions aren’t played & the exhibitions were actually such a ‘vaccine,’ OK...but I would be holding my nose, if I decided to watch/attend.
 #30071  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am
Roundball wrote:
No thank you.

Rather have an opportunity to whip their smug a$$e$ in a real game than give them a built-in excuse that they only got their a$$es whipped because it was just an exhibition for them.

Didn’t finish the article so they may have dived into the economics, but I seriously doubt an exhibition game with $10 admission fees will enable these schools to provide guarantees large enough to “save FCS.”

Now, if FCS Football would actually ‘die’ if such exhibitions aren’t played & the exhibitions were actually such a ‘vaccine,’ OK...but I would be holding my nose, if I decided to watch/attend.
When Augusta U. beat the Gamecocks in basketball 2 years ago Frank Martin complained that AU was playing too hard like it was the Final Four or something. I was disappointed that he used the old”We weren’t really trying” excuse.
 #30073  by Paladin91
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am
I'm doubtful FU will be playing football this fall. Here in the north metro ATL area, they just suspended football practice at Denmark HS (current FU recruit goes there) due to multiple players testing positive. At Johns Creek HS, head coach Conrad is in the ICU. Doubt it will get any better with this latest resurgence.
 #30074  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:05 pm
Agree with FUBear, no thank you. We are not practice fodder despite what some think.
 #30076  by aqualung
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am
I'm doubtful FU will be playing football this fall. Here in the north metro ATL area, they just suspended football practice at Denmark HS (current FU recruit goes there) due to multiple players testing positive. At Johns Creek HS, head coach Conrad is in the ICU. Doubt it will get any better with this latest resurgence.
Not so fast there with all that pessimism. Denmark only suspended practice for 1 week. GHSA just announced that they are delaying the start of season by 2 weeks but practice will still start on schedule on 7/27 and all 10 regular season games will be played. Also said they are 99% certain that state championship games will be played the week of December 28th at Georgia State Stadium. All good news.
apaladin liked this
 #30077  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:05 pm
Agree with FUBear, no thank you. We are not practice fodder despite what some think.
If the choice is no regular season games against a Clemson or a spring scrimmage, what would you choose? Seriously, I doubt Coach Sweeney would entertain a spring scrimmage. Why risk injury to key players in a scrimmage game against a FCS opponent?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.