• 2021 Commitment

#29293  by AstroDin
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Jace would be in a great position coming into the program. He'll be a true freshman while Grainger/Sisson are redshirt juniors. That would allow him to learn the offense and be ready to go as a Sophomore.

Jace's dad is a football coach and from all, I've read and heard him discuss on video he has a high football IQ. Also, he has a chip on his shoulder in a good way - feels he has something to prove being an undersized QB.

I agree with the Armanti comparison - Jace is athletic, shifty, and has an uncanny ability to hit his passes on the run.
 #29295  by gofurman
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 am
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Really interesting that we offered a kid that missed his whole Jr year AND didn’t have an oppty to “show off” in camps this summer.
There have been others who were injured and missed chances to be seen by recruiters.

It goes back awhile, but I think David Whitehurst was injured as a junior in HS then only won one game as a senior. He had a great career for the Paladins and a respectable NFL stint.
Almost sure here... Trivia—- what former Furman player from 1990s played in NFL 4 years (that part is for sure) and was one we picked up from injury in high school. Played defense...Don’t use google

I bet someone gets this one quickly as we dont have a lot in NFL. I am 80% sure he was injured in hs
 #29303  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:09 am
You could do a long list of guys that end up on FCS rosters after an injury sort of takes them out of the spotlight.

My favorite SoCon example might be Davis Tull of UTC. Tull broke his leg his senior year, basically fell off the map recruiting-wise, ended up at UTC on a partial scholarship (really the only school that kept recruiting him), and he went on to be arguably the SoCon's best defensive player of the last 30 years and an NFL draft pick.
 #29326  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
You could do a long list of guys that end up on FCS rosters after an injury sort of takes them out of the spotlight.

My favorite SoCon example might be Davis Tull of UTC. Tull broke his leg his senior year, basically fell off the map recruiting-wise, ended up at UTC on a partial scholarship (really the only school that kept recruiting him), and he went on to be arguably the SoCon's best defensive player of the last 30 years and an NFL draft pick.

Not a modern day development. FUBeAR’s favorite example is #83, Tim Partridge, a mere Freshman, in this most famous FU Football picture who was headed to play for the Georgia Bulldogs, until a devastating knee injury in his Sr. Year @ Lincoln County HS (GA) gifted him to 1st year Furman Head Coach, Dick Sheridan, in the Recruiting Class of 1978. In those days, torn knee ligaments were repaired with duct tape, a Phillips screwdriver, and leeches. But Tim toted his bad wheel up to Travelers Rest and wreaked havoc on the SoCon as a Paladin D-End for 2 or 3 years, before the duct tape gave way and cut his career too short.
FurmAlum, apaladin liked this
 #29491  by Affirm
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:35 am
Who else offered Mr. Wilson?
Texas Southern and Arkansas Pine Bluff.
Site I found that info indicates 3.0 GPA.
His HS is next to the Austin TX airport.
I hope the kid carries through on his commitment and succeeds in every way at Furman.
 #29492  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:06 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:35 am
Who else offered Mr. Wilson?
Texas Southern and Arkansas Pine Bluff.
Site I found that info indicates 3.0 GPA.
His HS is next to the Austin TX airport.
I hope the kid carries through on his commitment and succeeds in every way at Furman.
I thought some about this, and it really isn't surprising to me.

Wilson plays in Texas. Football west of the Mississippi is far more of a spread-it-out/air-it-out type of game (just look at the Big 12).

Even at the FCS level, that mentality holds true. The Southland Conference, for instance, is far more of a pass-happy league. The Southland's top rushing team - Nicholls - would have the 5th best ground attack in the SoCon. Samford, an air raid team, would have one of the better ground games in the Southland.

It doesn't shock me that a 5'10 QB with Wilson's game may be overlooked in that part of the country. He appears to be a perfect fit, though, in a SoCon system.

That aside, Furman offered this kid back in February. If Furman goes out to Texas and offers a kid in February who then commits in June, that pretty well indicates to me that he's our guy.
 #30133  by Rokawaylifer
 Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:50 pm
Bear, Great photo. is # 82 Bruce Lancaster? Who the heck is #33. Big dude. Do you remember Russell the blade gambrell? I think he would have been a senior and on this team. You mention the partridge Georgia connection. You know we had Bobby Kelly a year or two earlier. Bobby had Incredible lateral speed.

FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Not a modern day development. FUBeAR’s favorite example is #83, Tim Partridge, a mere Freshman, in this most famous FU Football picture who was headed to play for the Georgia Bulldogs, until a devastating knee injury in his Sr. Year @ Lincoln County HS (GA) gifted him to 1st year Furman Head Coach, Dick Sheridan, in the Recruiting Class of 1978. In those days, torn knee ligaments were repaired with duct tape, a Phillips screwdriver, and leeches. But Tim toted his bad wheel up to Travelers Rest and wreaked havoc on the SoCon as a Paladin D-End for 2 or 3 years, before the duct tape gave way and cut his career too short.
 #30137  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Bear, Great photo. is # 82 Bruce Lancaster? Who the heck is #33. Big dude. Do you remember Russell the blade gambrell? I think he would have been a senior and on this team. You mention the partridge Georgia connection. You know we had Bobby Kelly a year or two earlier. Bobby had Incredible lateral speed.

FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

#82 is Richard Broomfield (Bruce Lancaster wore #88, I believe)
#33 is Kent Woerner
Russell Gambrell was on this Team. I believe he was a Team Captain & is probably just out of the frame to the left as he was our starting Free Safety
 #30141  by Rokawaylifer
 Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm
Bear thanks for reply. I recall Richard b. Solid guy. I remember him as a
quiet guy but always a smile on his face. Funny, I Originally thought When I saw this great photo that #33 was Kurt w. But if as you say the blade was just out of photo what the heck is Kurt doing on defense? I thought he was our fullback? Anyhow thanks again for the reply. It filled in a lotta blanks. And one is that you aren’t, as I previously thought, younger than me, stay well brother.
FUBeAR wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:

FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

#33 is Kent Woerner
Russell Gambrell was on this Team. I believe he was a Team Captain & is probably just out of the frame to the left as he was our starting Free Safety
 #30142  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm
Bear thanks for reply. I recall Richard b. Solid guy. I remember him as a
quiet guy but always a smile on his face. Funny, I Originally thought When I saw this great photo that #33 was Kurt w. But if as you say the blade was just out of photo what the heck is Kurt doing on defense? I thought he was our fullback? Anyhow thanks again for the reply. It filled in a lotta blanks. And one is that you aren’t, as I previously thought, younger than me, stay well brother.
FUBeAR wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:

FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

#33 is Kent Woerner
Still might be younger - I was a mere snotty-nosed Freshman in’78

Kent moved to NG his Sr. Year, after being All SoCon as a Jr. FB, I believe, because we were so thin at Nose & we had a bunch of really solid fullbacks behind him - Steve Bishop, Sandy Davis, & a 3rd one I’m not remembering right now.

Also, in that pic, btw, are the legendary Jeff Snipes (#62) and Steve “Bear” Botkin (#79)