• Have to ask ... QB controversy

#19682  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am
sluggo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am
I wouldn't be too quick to throw the guy under the bus.
He handled a lot of pressure with 2 FBS games back to back and extremely high expectations from all directions.
He might just be stressed a bit from everything that is expected of him.

No matter who starts the next game, if we don't have a touch down before halfway into the 2nd quarter, put the
other QB in.
Interesting statement. Obviously, that was exactly the issue in the Citadel game. It appears they (Citadel) were the first ones to diagnose a possible lack of accuracy at times and that was being used by UTC. Once we completed a few relatively easy passes the O was on its way to a win! (Thanks D for keeping UTC to 9’points ! Early).

As Jackal has said we often have Great OC calls and WRs running wide open! It’s really amazing to watch sometimes !

Also someone above said DG has a better “arm”. I don’t disagree but “Arm” is many things - not just strength. DG is great and has a really strong arm but there is accuracy and strength and many things in “arm” etc...

also holding the ball securely running gets into the equation . DG has improved it this year big-time for sure. but sometimes still holds the ball ‘out’ a little more than perhaps he should. I’ve rewatched games and seen defenders swing for the ball as he runs. They were probably told to do that from film. Sure our coaches are working on this and he has greatly improved from last year
 #19683  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am
With the exception of some in the heat of battle posts that were a bit too far in my opinion, I don't think anyone is throwing DG under the bus. I think we all realize how young he is, how good he was in several games this year, and how much potential he has going forward. That said, the last few games haven't been great. And Sisson looked phenomenal in relief. That could easily be because UTC didn't prepare for his skill set and we took advantage, with HS coming up clutch. I trust the coaches to put the best player on the field, but I agree that it's in the team's long-term best interest to get DG out of the little funk he's been in recently. Hopefully one of the SoCon games coming up, or the Point game, will accomplish that mission. If this year ends how we all hope it will, it will have been because of both QBs, not despite one of them.
FUKA61, dornb, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #19685  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 am
QB controversy?

I don't think you have a QB controversy until the players (and sometimes coaches) become divided into factions. Then you have a real problem.
 #19696  by palafan
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:10 pm
Can a buy a pass to the tight end down or across the middle? We'd break some backs if we'd ever run that play. It's there every possession, but we don't take advantage of them stacking the box against our running game.
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #19709  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am
sluggo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am
I wouldn't be too quick to throw the guy under the bus.
He handled a lot of pressure with 2 FBS games back to back and extremely high expectations from all directions.
He might just be stressed a bit from everything that is expected of him.

No matter who starts the next game, if we don't have a touch down before halfway into the 2nd quarter, put the
other QB in.
Interesting statement. Obviously, that was exactly the issue in the Citadel game. It appears they (Citadel) were the first ones to diagnose a possible lack of accuracy at times and that was being used by UTC. Once we completed a few relatively easy passes the O was on its way to a win! (Thanks D for keeping UTC to 9’points ! Early).

As Jackal has said we often have Great OC calls and WRs running wide open! It’s really amazing to watch sometimes !

Also someone above said DG has a better “arm”. I don’t disagree but “Arm” is many things - not just strength. DG is great and has a really strong arm but there is accuracy and strength and many things in “arm” etc...

also holding the ball securely running gets into the equation . DG has improved it this year big-time for sure. but sometimes still holds the ball ‘out’ a little more than perhaps he should. I’ve rewatched games and seen defenders swing for the ball as he runs. They were probably told to do that from film. Sure our coaches are working on this and he has greatly improved from last year
GF has trouble expressing himself sometimes and can be over zealous sometimes, LOL but makes some good points and is a good guy. FWIW CCH said if he had to pick the starting QB today that HS had earned that. DG will be fine. If you noticed at the end of the game he seemed as happy as anyone, giving chest bumps etc. Beat VMI.
gofurman liked this
 #19714  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:15 pm
palafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:10 pm
Can a buy a pass to the tight end down or across the middle? We'd break some backs if we'd ever run that play. It's there every possession, but we don't take advantage of them stacking the box against our running game.
Totally agree. Been saying this al year.
Paladin575, gofurman liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.