• CCH

#19015  by MNORM
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm
It is ok and even expected to have a bad day but it has become a trend. 17-48 the last 3 games with 6, 6, and 5 completions in those games and 35%. Yes Ingle Martin had A bad game, but he came with one score of having a great comeback in that game and we almost won. IIRC correctly he and his teammates beat Pitt the following week, everywhere but the scoreboard. Big difference.
Wrong season.
WCU embarrassed us 41-21 that night....it was a gorgeous September evening. We didn't score until the 4th quarter.
We went on to win 6 straight after this loss. Only other loss (not counting the playoffs to App St.) was to GaSo in Statesboro...27-24.
This was one of the best Furman football teams of all-time, and they laid a giant egg in Cullowhee. Ingle was a Senior with a full season at Furman under his belt. He had also started multiple games at Florida.
Good/great teams sometimes have bad games.

Beat WCU!

...and for the record, we lost to PITT in 2004...I know, I was at that game too.
 #19017  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm
gman84 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 pm
I don't care what the score is at Western, as long as we win. As CCH said, forget the big picture, focus on the next game.
I remember a Qb in 1988 that had a horrible game in Huntington WV. Numbers similar to this past weekend. That season turned out ok.
GF, you don't want to eat lunch with Astro, he has a Hannibal Lector side to him. :D
:o i AM scared of that.

“I am having an old friend for dinner”. Classic
 #19020  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:37 pm
gman84 wrote:
I remember a Qb in 1988 that had a horrible game in Huntington WV. Numbers similar to this past weekend. That season turned out ok.
I don’t even need to look. I remember Frankie was 6/24 that day.
gman84 liked this
 #19021  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:41 pm
Paul C wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Was there for that - man that was a long drive.
QCGlue liked this
 #19022  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:50 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:41 pm
Paul C wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Was there for that - man that was a long drive.
Me too. And yeah.
 #19023  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It is ok and even expected to have a bad day but it has become a trend. 17-48 the last 3 games with 6, 6, and 5 completions in those games and 35%. Yes Ingle Martin had A bad game, but he came with one score of having a great comeback in that game and we almost won. IIRC correctly he and his teammates beat Pitt the following week, everywhere but the scoreboard. Big difference.
Wrong season.
WCU embarrassed us 41-21 that night....it was a gorgeous September evening. We didn't score until the 4th quarter.
We went on to win 6 straight after this loss. Only other loss (not counting the playoffs to App St.) was to GaSo in Statesboro...27-24.
This was one of the best Furman football teams of all-time, and they laid a giant egg in Cullowhee. Ingle was a Senior with a full season at Furman under his belt. He had also started multiple games at Florida.

Beat WCU!

...and for the record, we lost to PITT in 2004...I know, I was at that game too.
You're both talking about the same game. 2005.

Furman stunk for most of the contest while WCU built a 27-0 lead. In span of about 10 minutes in the fourth quarter, Martin led the team back to 21-27.

After their last score, Furman forced a 3 and out, WCU punted, and the Paladin offense took over at their 20 with 7 minutes left down by 6. Not a soul in that stadium thought WCU (incidentally, one of Western's better teams the last 20 years) was going to hold off the Paladin offense again.

Martin immediately threw a pick six on his first pass of that drive (to a defensive lineman, no less). His very next pass of the next drive was also intercepted. WCU then scored again.

Arguably the best QB in program history playing on arguably the best team in Furman history managed to throw 5 interceptions, two of which were on consecutive passes with the game on the line.

Games like this happen. What you don't want is for them to happen twice.
 #19042  by soconjohn
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:54 am
Who cares...Furman has two close FBS losses and I see this 17-of-48 stat....Do either Georgia State or Virginia Tech have losing records or is it more likely the Paladins should have beaten two bowl teams?
MNORM liked this
 #19043  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:08 am
soconjohn wrote:
Who cares...Furman has two close FBS losses and I see this 17-of-48 stat....Do either Georgia State or Virginia Tech have losing records or is it more likely the Paladins should have beaten two bowl teams?
Yes at the time we played them we should have won both games. Now not so. VPI has had a QB change that has really sparked them and it seems GSU is playing better defense.
 #19045  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:08 am
soconjohn wrote:
Yes at the time we played them we should have won both games. Now not so. VPI has had a QB change that has really sparked them and it seems GSU is playing better defense.
:D
gman84, FUBeAR liked this
 #19053  by MNORM
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Wrong season.

Beat WCU!

You're both talking about the same game. 2005.

Furman stunk for most of the contest while WCU built a 27-0 lead. In span of about 10 minutes in the fourth quarter, Martin led the team back to 21-27.

After their last score, Furman forced a 3 and out, WCU punted, and the Paladin offense took over at their 20 with 7 minutes left down by 6. Not a soul in that stadium thought WCU (incidentally, one of Western's better teams the last 20 years) was going to hold off the Paladin offense again.

Martin immediately threw a pick six on his first pass of that drive (to a defensive lineman, no less). His very next pass of the next drive was also intercepted. WCU then scored again.

Arguably the best QB in program history playing on arguably the best team in Furman history managed to throw 5 interceptions, two of which were on consecutive passes with the game on the line.

Games like this happen. What you don't want is for them to happen twice.
Correct...but the Pitt loss was the year before.
I expect (hoping for?) a game similar to the one in Cullowhee in 2017. Run it until they can stop it...and they couldn't. 55 carries for 391 yards.
 #19060  by palafan
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 am
Grainger didn't have a bad day the ENTIRE team and coaches had a bad day. Most of his passes were hurried because no damn body was blocking. The o-line couldn't open a can of tuna much less a hole for any running back to run through. And the defense.... shakes head....
MNORM, QCGlue liked this
 #19061  by Thorny
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:15 am
I think Furman is going to make a run in the playoffs.
QCGlue liked this
 #19062  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 am
palafan wrote:
Grainger didn't have a bad day the ENTIRE team and coaches had a bad day. Most of his passes were hurried because no damn body was blocking. The o-line couldn't open a can of tuna much less a hole for any running back to run through. And the defense.... shakes head....
I dunno about that. CCH said he had time, wasn't hurried for the most part and receivers were wide open, he just didn't hit them. One of those days I hope we never see again. Yes I agree the coaches had probably their worst day in the CCH era. Even CCH admitted he made a bad call on one of the short yardage plays.
 #19064  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 am
palafan wrote:
I dunno about that. CCH said he had time, wasn't hurried for the most part and receivers were wide open, he just didn't hit them. One of those days I hope we never see again. Yes I agree the coaches had probably their worst day in the CCH era. Even CCH admitted he made a bad call on one of the short yardage plays.
AP is correct in the literal sense here. CCH even flat-out said DG had great protection for most plays. he said that DG had strong protection or somthing to that effect with the exception of a few plays where the OTs missed. but the general statement from CCH was that our QB had sufficient protection ( I am referring to the 11am presser on Monday). CH maintained the OL pass pro was good enough minus a few blown plays

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.