• SoCon OOC

#16160  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm
28-13 Final. The spread offense at Wofford may have been a short-lived experiment.

How far do the Terriers fall after a 15 point loss to an unranked team not even among those "Others Receiving Votes"?
 #16161  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:41 pm
Wofford looked terrible with a new coach and new offense.
Not a new coach its his second year, but they did look bad. 4 interceptions. Only TD came in the last minutes.
 #16162  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:41 pm
Wofford looked terrible with a new coach and new offense.
Not a new coach its his second year, but they did look bad. 4 interceptions. Only TD came in the last minutes.
No QB on Wofford's roster is a competent passer.
 #16166  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:12 pm
So does Wofford abandon the new O system or stock w it? Be interesting. if they are committed to it they can’t stop bc of one bad gam

Gotta pull for Samford to beat them in two weeks ! Mercer scares me some still
 #16177  by Flagman
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 pm
Will be interesting to see how far Wofford drops. History would indicate just a few places. They still have a reputation. The voters are literate ending to see that SC State was way off the radar.
 #16179  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:59 pm
They drop 3 spots to #11.
 #16180  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:02 am
Flagman wrote:
Will be interesting to see how far Wofford drops. History would indicate just a few places. They still have a reputation. The voters are literate ending to see that SC State was way off the radar.
I'll guess they, along with Jacksonville State, drop in the low teens.

I don't see a good argument for having Furman ranked behind Wofford.

The Terriers got a top 10 ranking on name recognition. They aren't a top ten program right now.
 #16182  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:54 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm
28-13 Final. The spread offense at Wofford may have been a short-lived experiment.

How far do the Terriers fall after a 15 point loss to an unranked team not even among those "Others Receiving Votes"?
I know it’s bad for the SoCon, but I said before tonight that if there’s one Team I wouldn’t mind seeing lose OOC this week, it would be Woffy. Refuse to play any challenging OOC games, fortunate to be anywhere near the top of the SoCon in 2017, not really that good in 2018 AND blown the, um, heck out by Furman...yet, they (and uninformed poll voters nationally) seem to think they are the Upstate’s gift to college football. FUBeAR will be dropping them completely out of his Top 25 on his AGS Ballot.

Let’s look at what they’ve done in their recent games...

* Lost to a middle-of-the-pack MEAC Team

* Lost to a meh (IMO) Big South Team

* Squeaked by a decimated Elon Team with, I believe, an injured QB

* Beat a horrible Big South Team transitioning to non-Scholarship football in the PFL

* Got beat soundly by a middle-of-the-SoCon-pack Samford Team

* Beat a middle-of-the-pack Mercer Team who lost their Starting All SoCon RB in the 2nd series & who had their backup QB playing on 1 leg after that same series

* Beat a meh ETSU Team that backed their way into the playoffs

* Got blown the, um, heck out by Furman

* Beat a pretty bad Chattanooga Team

* Beat an awful Big South Team

Not a good win in the bunch & 4 BAD losses, BAD in that their opponent who they beat wasn’t that good and/or they got blown the, um, heck out.

Sorry YardYappers...that garbage of a body of work is just NOT ranking worthy. It’s just not.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, MNORM liked this
 #16185  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

The Terriers got a top 10 ranking on name recognition. They aren't a top ten program right now.
Maybe we jump #15 Colgate? Lost pretty handily to Villanova (unranked) ...also JSU #6 lost and and #10 Wofford lost to unranked but probably stay above us for now. Colgate is 0_2 (Villanova and AFA though Air Force is Fbs ). We may move up one. But these next two weeks could stink as both FBS possible losses we just may have to endure. At least if we lose to GState people SHOULD know that GSU beat Tennessee and not drop us far. Same w VTech. But man I just hate the 1-2 recordwhen we are probably a strong team
 #16272  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:25 pm
Overall, not a great week for the SoCon. Furman dominated, Chattanooga had a nice win against Eastern Illinois and Mercer picked up a road conference win, but Samford is now 0-2 after a 59-58, 2 OT loss at Tennessee Tech, Wofford got stomped at SC State, VMI and ETSU lost big to Group of 5 FBS teams, and The Citadel lost at home to Towson by a TD. So a week in, several non-conference opportunities wasted.

This week is another great opportunity. The Citadel is at Elon, Chattanooga is at Jacksonville State and Mercer is at PC. ETSU hosts Shorter and VMI hosts Mars Hill in non-D1 games. Western at NC State and Furman at Georgia State in FBS games. I think going 2-for-3 against FCS foes would be great. Hopefully two non-D1 games are cake walks. Still believe Furman has a good chance in Atlanta.
 #16273  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Maybe we jump #15 Colgate? Lost pretty handily to Villanova (unranked) ...also JSU #6 lost and and #10 Wofford lost to unranked but probably stay above us for now. Colgate is 0_2 (Villanova and AFA though Air Force is Fbs ). We may move up one. But these next two weeks could stink as both FBS possible losses we just may have to endure. At least if we lose to GState people SHOULD know that GSU beat Tennessee and not drop us far. Same w VTech. But man I just hate the 1-2 recordwhen we are probably a strong team
Don't worry IF we are 1-2 we should still be ranked. Colgate (0-2)has been blown out by a mediocre FBS and an FCS team and are still ranked. Got outscored 82-21.