• 2020 commitments

#19212  by AstroDin
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am
Furman has three players redshirting that I'm sure the coaches expect to contribute next season.

Jack Barton 6-4 225 DE Barton had the most offers of any recruit last season (20). It will be interesting to see how he develops with off-season conditioning. He has the frame to be a monster at the FCS level.

Bryce McCormick 6-2 224 LB Bryce had foot surgery before the season started and was in a boot during the pre-season. McCormick had 15 offers. My guess is he stays at linebacker, it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Jalen Clark 6-2 230 DE Clark signed late. I really don't know much about him, had impressive stats playing for Marist.

My guess is Furman has it's top targets for the offensive line. Seth Johnson is committed and Furman based on things I've read likes him a lot. We could see two to three more commits at DT/DE.
gofurman liked this
 #19216  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:02 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am
Furman has three players redshirting that I'm sure the coaches expect to contribute next season.

Jack Barton 6-4 225 DE Barton had the most offers of any recruit last season (20). It will be interesting to see how he develops with off-season conditioning. He has the frame to be a monster at the FCS level.

Bryce McCormick 6-2 224 LB Bryce had foot surgery before the season started and was in a boot during the pre-season. McCormick had 15 offers. My guess is he stays at linebacker, it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Jalen Clark 6-2 230 DE Clark signed late. I really don't know much about him, had impressive stats playing for Marist.

My guess is Furman has it's top targets for the offensive line. Seth Johnson is committed and Furman based on things I've read likes him a lot. We could see two to three more commits at DT/DE.
Agree on OL and everything you posted. You keep up w recruiting more than me as far as offers etc. for sure. I sorta wait until they commit/

As always, appreciate Astro and Paul and JohnW for doing the recruiting legwork !!! them twitters and stuff

It seems (in accordance with your post) we have some DE.. I have to assume with guys on board like Barton and the Hanna kid leaving etc. we will see some 'big' boys like DT / NG types soon. Not a negative, just with all the OL and DE and others ( I heard we have some more great safeties coming too ! ) the one slot I haven't noticed mentioned much is the larger DL of NG or DT.

I know all 5 of our listed interior guys (Hodge Coleman Stokes Sochovka Lawrence) return next year ! That is awesome and I love that! But we don't want to get in a position of playing Freshman again so I agree that I am sure we have to be looking for some interior guys now so we can let them possibly Redshirt like Barton was able to this year behind Tibbs and Seabrook at DE.
 #19219  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:28 pm
I wouldn't worry about the size of the DLs.

Remember, we have the league's best defense with allegedly "small" defensive linemen.
 #19220  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Remember, we have the league's best defense with allegedly "small" defensive linemen.
Jackal,
I wasn't worried about the size - I was just noting a position thing. Astro is agreeing I think. Tons of OL youth - esp freshman.. Barton is a DE. McCormick is LB or DE. Just saying I am sure we are looking for NG DT guys next .. we aren't gonna play 230 lb guys at NG. Hope Barton is a terror from the edge at DE!!! but I am sure we will be offering someone else to replace Lawrence and Stokes as those guys graduate on the interior.
 #19221  by Jasper
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:58 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal,
I wasn't worried about the size - I was just noting a position thing. Astro is agreeing I think. Tons of OL youth - esp freshman.. Barton is a DE. McCormick is LB or DE. Just saying I am sure we are looking for NG DT guys next .. we aren't gonna play 230 lb guys at NG. Hope Barton is a terror from the edge at DE!!! but I am sure we will be offering someone else to replace Lawrence and Stokes as those guys graduate on the interior.
Both Stokes and Lawrence are true juniors, GF. They aren't going anyplace.
 #19222  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:05 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:58 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal,
Both Stokes and Lawrence are true juniors, GF. They aren't going anyplace.
Jasper, you are right. I am well aware of that :D - and our recruiting is awesome.

I was just saying (like having DE Barton lifting weights at Furman this year while DE Tibbs is a Senior) I have to assume some of our last targets for this year are the guys who would come on campus in 2020 to replace Stokes and Lawrence who will leave in 2021 - get them in now in 2020 so they can practice and redshirt and lift weights so when Stokes and Lawrence do leave the next year we are playing R-Fr and not true Fr. For that to happen we need them in this year.

Please read my posts guys. In post 19216 I said "I know all 5 of our listed interior guys (Hodge Coleman Stokes Sochovka Lawrence) return next year !" - and that is awesome. DL Could be a real strength of the team next year!

I was looking at how CH has been doing a great job bringing in guys like OL who are already on campus (Johanning, Toomey etc) and they are practicing at FU for a year before the current OL graduate. for that same thing to happen w DL we need a guy or three this year. That's all.

Like Astro, I bet we see that soon in our offers / commits.

To that point I think this guy has fully committed to us? Seth Johnson, 6-2 265 DL, from The Baylor School in Chattanooga.

Go Dins
 #20424  by JohnW
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Per his tweet Jeremiah Jackson, 6-1 250 DL, from Fleming Island, FL has committed.
 #20465  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm
For you guys that follow recruiting closely do you know anything about Will Frady a running back from Smoky Mountain High in Sylva, NC? He is the leading rusher in WNC and seems to be really good. Is anyone recruiting him? Thanks in advance.
 #20488  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 am
Is Thomas a commit or signee?
Unless it has changed, players can't sign until the "early" period starting somwhere around Dec. 20 or the "late/traditional" period starting in early February.

So, at this point, every commit is a verbal.
apaladin liked this
 #20489  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 am
^^ Thomas will be a Big Get! IMO a perfect fit for this Furman offense. Not sure about Frady I do know Furman still has another offer out there for a big back - Kaedric Cobb I think Cobb is 220+ not sure where FU stands he's getting a lot of attention - but Furman was on him very early.

#20502  by JohnW
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 am
^^ Thomas will be a Big Get! IMO a perfect fit for this Furman offense. Not sure about Frady I do know Furman still has another offer out there for a big back - Kaedric Cobb I think Cobb is 220+ not sure where FU stands he's getting a lot of attention - but Furman was on him very early.

Also an offer out to Devin Crosby, 5-9 215 or so, out of N. Gwinnett, GA.
 #20765  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I do think we need bigger interior DL. Or maybe a different scheme. Several former players agree / Citadel and Wofford agree...
there is a distinct trend going on here vs tough running teams