• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20397  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 am
TICKET UPDATE:

VISITORS SIDE: #SEATS: 2,340 #SOLD 481 AVAILABLE: 1,859
HOME SIDE: #SEATS: 5,900 #SOLD: 4,280 AVAILABLE: 1,620
TOTAL: #SEATS 8,240 #SOLD 4,761 AVAILABLE: 3,479

FYI: THE ABOVE INCLUDES 950 TOTAL SEATS and 950 SOLD FOR THEIR STUDENT SECTION
Updated: Looks like a little over 500 tickets available on the home side and still 1,600 plus available on the visitors side. Looks like FU fans have bought about 675 tickets so far.
 #20400  by AstroDin
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:42 am
I'll show how little I know come 4:30 tomorrow…

Late inning thoughts…

Defensively, how well do we defend the edge against the Terriers? CCH often says it's about the matchups. FuBear and others have said a scheme adjustment was needed against the Citadel. I believe the Dins front seven athleticism makes this game a good matchup for us. I also think the ability to play numerous players has worked to Furman's advantage as the season has progressed. I've also liked what I've seen from our corners play against the run, minus the Citadel game, we've played damn good defensive football in the second half.

I think we will see more Josh Agbenou in this game at bandit.
Jordan Willis is critical in this matchup and he's playing very well.
Can the Dins get solid play from Tibbs/Seabrook on the end and how will our three linebackers play?
Finally, how well do our corners and safeties play?

Offensively I'm curious about our o-line play as the game gets into the later quarters. The Dins play eight linemen and IMO has stressed every team (outside of The Citadel). Under Sisson, the option part of the game has been impressive we seem to be attacking more and our plays are running at a quicker pace. I think Wofford has the confidence to play Furman straight up, I might be wrong but I've got a feeling Conklin believes he matches up with Furman's passing game.

With so much speed - I'll be watching to see how often Furman looks for single coverage matchups on Gordo, Miller, DeLuca. It gets very interesting when you start mixing in Furman's running backs in the passing game. They all catch the ball very well.

I'm not nervous, I expect a great game, I expect the DIns to be ready to play… let's get it on.
furman88, FUKA61, MNORM and 3 others liked this
 #20405  by AstroDin
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 am
tim wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 am
I'm usually nervous but this year I'm a little more relaxed. Win or lose, we are in the playoffs. Should we lose(not likely) the chances are good of seeing Woffy or Cit again and evening the score in the playoffs.
I think the consensus is teams are evenly matched - I do give the paladins the nod in skill level in the passing game and in offensive balance.
tim, QCGlue liked this
 #20406  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am
Defensively, we are going to have to get off blocks. Our LBs are going to have to avoid getting cut as they scrape to the edge. Our CBs are going to have to turn plays inside and not let Wofford get around the edge. They're quick in space.

We have to tackle and limit the chunk plays. This is not the Wofford offense we are used to seeing - their "fullback" carries the ball about half as often as last year. This is a team that wants to get athletes in space and pop off big plays. We need to keep them in predictable situations.

This is just my observation, but it seems the best way to disrupt Furman's offense is to attack the backfield hard off the edge. Furman has seemed to try and counter this the last few weeks with more designed QB runs and midline options up the middle. Wofford is going to have stop our "inside drill" first and then get us in predictable passing situations.

When you look at the season, though, our offense is at its best when involving Gordon/Miller/Deluca. Get those guys the ball.
 #20408  by tim
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 am
I think it really boils down to the FU D. We can't let WC go on 7-9 minute drives and of course must avoid a lot of explosion plays.
If we don't go 3 and out deep in our territory twice against Cit after deep punts, the TOP (and game) flips. Takes pressure off a tired defense.
 #20409  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Defensively, we are going to have to get off blocks. Our LBs are going to have to avoid getting cut as they scrape to the edge. Our CBs are going to have to turn plays inside and not let Wofford get around the edge. They're quick in space.

We have to tackle and limit the chunk plays. This is not the Wofford offense we are used to seeing - their "fullback" carries the ball about half as often as last year. This is a team that wants to get athletes in space and pop off big plays. We need to keep them in predictable situations.

This is just my observation, but it seems the best way to disrupt Furman's offense is to attack the backfield hard off the edge. Furman has seemed to try and counter this the last few weeks with more designed QB runs and midline options up the middle. Wofford is going to have stop our "inside drill" first and then get us in predictable passing situations.

When you look at the season, though, our offense is at its best when involving Gordon/Miller/Deluca. Get those guys the ball.
Jackal has been doing some solid film study. Nice work. Exactly right. I would add that FU’s DL will need to keep the wifffy OL from climbing to 2nd & 3rd levels. As they either hit the hole or get the ball to the edge so quickly, their OL ain’t studyin’ no backside blocks on DLmen. They figger their opponents’ fat boyz ain’t fast enough to catch their balltoters from behind or down the line...so FU DLmen will need to engage the wooferton fat boyz before they can release playside or pursue like crazy with speed...or both.
 #20411  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal has been doing some solid film study. Nice work. Exactly right. I would add that FU’s DL will need to keep the wifffy OL from climbing to 2nd & 3rd levels. As they either hit the hole or get the ball to the edge so quickly, their OL ain’t studyin’ no backside blocks on DLmen. They figger their opponents’ fat boyz ain’t fast enough to catch their balltoters from behind or down the line...so FU DLmen will need to engage the wooferton fat boyz before they can release playside or pursue like crazy with speed...or both.
Just a random example off Twitter. Nothing complex about this - QB sweep. There's not even a play fake. Just tuck and go.

End gets hooked and both LBs get cut - one by fullback and one by C. Safety ends up with QB and pitch man because no one else got over there.

Just another one - jet sweep. UTC has 4 or 5 guys with a clear shot at the ball carrier and don't get him down.

Make tackles. Get off blocks.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.