• Mo Practice Observations

#9815  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:55 pm
DL London Lewis, who has not played a down for us in nearly 2 seasons with a concussion protocol was there and in uniform today. Will not be cleared until the summer for contact. 6'4' and a lean 285. Could be a great addition.

Alex Hanff missed all of last season and is back playing DL, where I believe he started 2 seasons ago.

Darius Morehead has been banged up for the last year and 1/2 and has seen limited service. I am told he is now 100%. Nobody gets the edge quicker than this kid. Could be a huge plus for an already good running game.

Davonte Porter getting bigger and moving from spur to bandit. Could be this year's Adrian Hope.

Jordan Harris was moved from D to OL last year and started every game from the get go. Played really well at RG. He is listed at 288. Fughedaboutit! He is a lean, in shape 6'4" and 305. With expected improvement and experience, this kid could be heading for the NFL in a few years. Todays first snap line was Neeley at C, G's were Harris and McKinney, T's were Detamore and Layton. Looks like lots of depth as well. Jumper working at Center.

No doubt that Cam Burnett is a fine receiver and will be missed but our pass catching corps looks very good indeed. Bell and Gordon are legtimate deep threats at any time. Love DeLuca and Armstrong as sure handed catchers of the ball who can also get great separation. Armstrong does a great job as well in blocking the edge that our RB's exploit. The TE's all look like wideouts. I think the freshman, McCormack, looked very good today. Burnett was likely right in leaving. This offense spreads the ball around a lot and that is its strength. But no one receiver is likely to get All American numbers for consideration. Plus we like throwing to the backs and running the ball.
furman88, QCGlue liked this
 #9818  by paladinduece
 Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm
McCormack wasn’t an early enrollee. Miller, Jones, and Jumper were the only 3 is my understanding. Any report on Miller and Jones? Jumper working with the 2’s will mean plenty of reps. O line depth looks promising.
 #9834  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:33 am
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm
McCormack wasn’t an early enrollee. Miller, Jones, and Jumper were the only 3 is my understanding. Any report on Miller and Jones? Jumper working with the 2’s will mean plenty of reps. O line depth looks promising.
You are correct re McCormack. My mistake. Numbers on jersey were blurred. I know it wasnt one of our returning TE's and assumed it was McCormack. May have been Ben Page. Cant say one way or the other on Miller or Jones. The people I am mentioning are just those who caught my eye during this practice. There were quite a few fans at the practice. Perhaps someone else report. I will make a point of watching for the newbies at the next practice I attend.
 #9872  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 am
Re: Porter

According to Furman's roster, he's put on 25 pounds since his freshman year.
Yes, looks every bit of that and it's in the right places. This kid could have a big year at bandit where he will have the opportunity & size for more PT. Aside from some questions in the secondary where we lost some good DB's, this unit is shaping up very strong. Two big returnees from injury, some promising newcomers, etc. is supplying a lot of D line depth. The Spur and Bandit positions are loaded, good looking 2 deep at ILB are reasons to be optimistic I think.
 #9886  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 am
Re: Porter

According to Furman's roster, he's put on 25 pounds since his freshman year.
Yes, looks every bit of that and it's in the right places. This kid could have a big year at bandit where he will have the opportunity & size for more PT. Aside from some questions in the secondary where we lost some good DB's, this unit is shaping up very strong. Two big returnees from injury, some promising newcomers, etc. is supplying a lot of D line depth. The Spur and Bandit positions are loaded, good looking 2 deep at ILB are reasons to be optimistic I think.
As I look down the roster, you can see a number of players putting on weight. That seems especially apparent as it pertains to running backs and linebackers - guys in two point stances near the line of scrimmage.

From when they first arrived at Furman, guys like Watkins, Wynn, Gilby, Porter, and Hope have all put on 10-15 pounds.

I expect you'll see a more physically imposing Furman squad this season. A lot of these younger guys have now been in the weight room for a few years.
 #9887  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 am
Jasper wrote:
DL London Lewis, who has not played a down for us in nearly 2 seasons with a concussion protocol was there and in uniform today. Will not be cleared until the summer for contact. 6'4' and a lean 285. Could be a great addition.
I don't want to make too much of a guy that hasn't played yet, but I agree that Lewis could be a solid addition. He has size that you don't normally find along FCS defensive lines.

I'm inclined to think that the coaching staff anticipates he will play given they moved Jonah Tibbs from DT and DE. That leaves only Lewis, Sochovka, and Hodge listed at DT.
Jasper liked this
 #9888  by Jasper
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I don't want to make too much of a guy that hasn't played yet, but I agree that Lewis could be a solid addition. He has size that you don't normally find along FCS defensive lines.

I'm inclined to think that the coaching staff anticipates he will play given they moved Jonah Tibbs from DT and DE. That leaves only Lewis, Sochovka, and Hodge listed at DT.
I agree. It is hard to say how much of an impact Lewis will make. I hear he will not suit up until fall practice. He is one awesome physical presence though. Perhaps the staff has the incoming Devonte Jones penciled it at DT. We seem to have enough NG's.

You are also correct about the overall physical makeup of this team. Most of them will be here for summer school and in the weight room every day. They will be bigger, stronger and leaner than some past teams. I don't even see the traditional "fat guys" along the O line.
 #9890  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 am
Jasper wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I agree. It is hard to say how much of an impact Lewis will make. I hear he will not suit up until fall practice. He is one awesome physical presence though. Perhaps the staff has the incoming Devonte Jones penciled it at DT. We seem to have enough NG's.

You are also correct about the overall physical makeup of this team. Most of them will be here for summer school and in the weight room every day. They will be bigger, stronger and leaner than some past teams. I don't even see the traditional "fat guys" along the O line.
Hendrix has seemed more apt to redshirt guys that play along the defensive front 7. Hodge was a notable exception.

Jones may play DT, but at his size, he seems like a traditional NG
 #10075  by gofurman
 Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 pm
Jasper wrote:

Alex Hanff missed all of last season and is back playing DL, where I believe he started 2 seasons ago.

Darius Morehead has been banged up for the last year and 1/2 and has seen limited service. I am told he is now 100%. Nobody gets the edge quicker than this kid. Could be a huge plus for an already good running game.

Davonte Porter getting bigger and moving from spur to bandit. Could be this year's Adrian Hope.

Jordan Harris was moved from D to OL last year and started every game from the get go. Played really well at RG. He is listed at 288. Fughedaboutit! He is a lean, in shape 6'4" and 305. With expected improvement and experience, this kid could be heading for the NFL in a few years. Todays first snap line was Neeley at C, G's were Harris and McKinney, T's were Detamore and Layton. Looks like lots of depth as well. Jumper working at Center.

No doubt that Cam Burnett is a fine receiver and will be missed but our pass catching corps looks very good indeed. Bell and Gordon are legtimate deep threats at any time. Love DeLuca and Armstrong as sure handed catchers of the ball who can also get great separation. Armstrong does a great job as well in blocking the edge that our RB's exploit. The TE's all look like wideouts. I think the freshman, McCormack, looked very good today. Burnett was likely right in leaving. This offense spreads the ball around a lot and that is its strength. But no one receiver is likely to get All American numbers for consideration. Plus we like throwing to the backs and running the ball.
FIRST. THANK YOU all for these reports !!! Love it. Appreciate your work in letting us know !!

Surprised one or two - is Godwin playing OT any? Kroeber at G any?

Interesting about Detamore! He wasn’t on two deep last year. Hope he has shown great things ! Last year tackles were Layton n Auer n Godwin
 #10082  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 am
Yes, both of Godwin and Kroeber are working at their positions. Looks like Kroeber has been moved to LG from C as he was during the season last year. I doubt if anything is written in stone yet as far as the 2 deep for the season. The lineman I mentioned just took first snaps when the squad started live plays. ALL the linemen got plenty of snaps on the day. This is just spring practice and I don't think who takes first snaps means as much as during the season or late summer practices. We appear to have a lot of depth. I plan to watch practice today.
 #10083  by AstroDin
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 am
Jasper wrote:
Yes, both of Godwin and Kroeber are working at their positions. Looks like Kroeber has been moved to LG from C as he was during the season last year. I doubt if anything is written in stone yet as far as the 2 deep for the season. The lineman I mentioned just took first snaps when the squad started live plays. ALL the linemen got plenty of snaps on the day. This is just spring practice and I don't think who takes first snaps means as much as during the season or late summer practices. We appear to have a lot of depth. I plan to watch practice today.
To Jasper's point - we're starting to build a deep talented O-line. And I think some of us (I say this with love) will have to pause before jumping to the conclusion that something is wrong if a player is moved in and out of first team or second team.

Things will get more competitive when the 2019 class of lineman get a season of practice and development under their belts. This is what we frankly have needed two deep levels of offensive linemen. Clay and staff obviously had a plan when they came here and I think the next couple of years are going to be fun to watch.
 #10090  by FUBeAR
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:39 am
Jasper wrote:
I don’t know zactly how it’s done these days, but used to be that if a player was pretty ‘solid’ in his position & had proven himself in games over a couple of seasons, he didn’t get too many live reps in spring practice, especially if there was a history of injuries and/or ‘thinness’ at that position. Heck FUBeAR, despite being uninjured, didn’t take a live rep from the last play he played in The Citadel game in ‘81 until the 1st play of the NC State game in ‘82. Based on his extremely poor play in that NC State game, that probably wasn’t too smart of a plan...but you get the point...Save the proven vets from potential injuries and give the much-needed reps to the young bucks. To some degree, I expect that’s what we are seeing here.
 #10102  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:18 pm
In today's practice, I counted 10 offensive lineman who basically took equal snaps; whether they were with the first unit or second. I don't think it matter much right now as long as you are in that group. Those that were not were still doing drills. Lots will change in the summer/fall session I am sure. In watching CCH's practices in season, the line that takes first snaps during the week it the starting line on Saturday but it is clear that he intends to use a lot of O lineman this year in the games. It is a deep and experience group already with the exception of Evan Jumper who is working a lot at Center and is a highly touted newcomer.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.