• D.C. resigns

#9846  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm
bj93 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm
Hope this doesn't affect recruits who were going to sign Wed.
It shouldn't. It is my understanding that most recruiting relationships are really with the position coaches. The HC comes in as the closer on the deal. Which is not to say that Staggs does not have some good contacts and might be close to a recruit. We'll see. What is important is that the new DC has told the D that there are no significant changes coming in schemes, terminology, etc. He will be adding some new blitz packages and may bring a different philosophy to the table but no new system. So if a kid is coming because he likes the way he fits into the current scheme, he will not be effected. It is interesting though that Staggs jumped ship right before signing day so maybe he's working the phones. A hit might be in order. :D Although he will have a much wider and deeper recruiting pool to swim in at Coastal. Not as much concern about grades, attitude, background, etc. as Furman.
 #9849  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:12 pm
Hope he blitzes on those 3rd and longs. Even though CCU is in a pretty weak FBS conference I don't see them becoming a threat to many FBS teams. Poor location, (its not MB)small stadium etc.
 #9851  by tim
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:22 pm
Some CC fans seem pretty upset Chadwell got the job.
 #9857  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm
bj93 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm
Hope this doesn't affect recruits who were going to sign Wed.
It shouldn't. It is my understanding that most recruiting relationships are really with the position coaches. The HC comes in as the closer on the deal. Which is not to say that Staggs does not have some good contacts and might be close to a recruit. We'll see. What is important is that the new DC has told the D that there are no significant changes coming in schemes, terminology, etc. He will be adding some new blitz packages and may bring a different philosophy to the table but no new system. So if a kid is coming because he likes the way he fits into the current scheme, he will not be effected. It is interesting though that Staggs jumped ship right before signing day so maybe he's working the phones. A hit might be in order. :D Although he will have a much wider and deeper recruiting pool to swim in at Coastal. Not as much concern about grades, attitude, background, etc. as Furman.
Williams has previously been a defensive coordinator at the D2 level. I also believe he's spent the last two seasons as the primary defensive coach in the booth, so he may have already been Staggs' right-hand man.
 #9858  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 am
FWIW, both Furman Football and Coach Hendrix have started following Bradley Brown on Twitter, the DB coach from Arkansas-Monticello.
 #9859  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am
It is a business and it is about the bucks. Preachers never go to smaller churches; they always seem to get the call to lead a bigger flock.
Jasper, Paladawg liked this
 #9869  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 am
FWIW, both Furman Football and Coach Hendrix have started following Bradley Brown on Twitter, the DB coach from Arkansas-Monticello.
Also in the FWIW area, I was at practice the day after Staggs resigned and was impressed by the enthusiasm and spirit of the entire defensive unit. It was only after practice that I learned of the departure while chatting with some of the players. I get the impression that they like Coach Williams very much - which is not to say the Staggs was unpopular at all. They just didn't seem to be very much effected by the change. They are just very pumped about their unit and have reason to be. Getting Hanff and London Lewis back (if they are healthy) is like adding a couple of transfers to an already seasoned unit.
FUKA61, AstroDin, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #9914  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm
fudriver wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm
Just heard Williams is gone too!
His Twitter still VERY Paladin-ish, but he hasn’t Tweeted/Retweeted anything since last Monday.

FUBeAR finds no other public info on the matter.
 #9915  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
fudriver wrote:
His Twitter still VERY Paladin-ish, but he hasn’t Tweeted/Retweeted anything since last Monday.

Williams and Staggs are both not entirely active on Twitter.

I'll wait on the formal announcement. Last time we went through this Des Kitchings was the head coach.
 #9916  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:10 pm
fudriver wrote:
Confirmed. SEC school.
 #9917  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 pm
100% confident we will find a good one!
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #9918  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
fudriver wrote:

Williams and Staggs are both not entirely active on Twitter.

I'll wait on the formal announcement. Last time we went through this Des Kitchings was the head coach.
You will be waiting a long time. Furman doesn't make formal announcements on coaches leaving.
 #9926  by paladinduece
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:20 pm
Who in the hell is going to coach the db's this spring? Safeties already doubling up with corners.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.