#9747  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:55 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 am
JohnW wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm
FWIW. Hayden Mann who de-committed from Furman last year is transferring from JMU. Says his recruitment is officially open.
Greener grass and all that. Apparently wants to play QB.

As a redshirt freshman, I’m not sure we’d take on a third QB in the same class. Also don’t know if his derecruitment would have burned a bridge. That said, we’ve liked him before.
Mann knew what he was doing when he de-committed from a QB offer from Furman to take an offer from the mighty JMU to convert to safety. Furman appears to be super focused on a QB in the 2020 class. I think an offer to play for Furman left when he de-committed.
I would tend to agree with that. A cautionary tale, perhaps.

Furman has had two QBs decommit the last few years. One is now looking like a career backup at Elon. The other is transferring because a switch to defense wasn't what he thought it would be.

Either of those two guys would likely be competing to be the starting QB of the 2019 Paladins. Oh well.
 #9748  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 am
It does seem like the announced offers have slowed considerably and the coaching staff is focused more on the 2020 class.

Suggests, perhaps, that the staff has their guys and are comfortable with where things stand.
 #9750  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 am
Hayden Mann is an interesting situation. As 17 or 18 year old commit to FU, he visited the then defending FCS champions as I recall and was blown away by their big game day experience. They did a great job romancing him and he fell in love. It happens! Now he realizes he made a mistake and wants to go back to playing QB. Obviously that doesn't fit JMU's plans. If the FU coaches really want him in our scheme, I don't think his poor decision will stop them from offering him. I think he was pretty coveted at the time. This staff seems pragmatic to me. If they feel he can help them be better immediately, I don't think his previous actions will get in the way. He's a kid.
FUBeAR liked this
 #9752  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am
Jasper wrote:
Hayden Mann is an interesting situation. As 17 or 18 year old commit to FU, he visited the then defending FCS champions as I recall and was blown away by their big game day experience. They did a great job romancing him and he fell in love. It happens! Now he realizes he made a mistake and wants to go back to playing QB. Obviously that doesn't fit JMU's plans. If the FU coaches really want him in our scheme, I don't think his poor decision will stop them from offering him. I think he was pretty coveted at the time. This staff seems pragmatic to me. If they feel he can help them be better immediately, I don't think his previous actions will get in the way. He's a kid.
I think that's a realistic way of looking at it. Whatever makes the team better.

The bigger concern is that we already have two redshirt freshmen QBs. Say Mann comes and has to sit a year, we'd have three redshirt sophomores at one position. I just don't see Furman doing that because eventually you'd lose all your QB depth in one season.
 #9753  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am
Jasper wrote:
I think that's a realistic way of looking at it. Whatever makes the team better.

The bigger concern is that we already have two redshirt freshmen QBs. Say Mann comes and has to sit a year, we'd have three redshirt sophomores at one position. I just don't see Furman doing that because eventually you'd lose all your QB depth in one season.
Maybe, maybe not but if he is the best QB what difference would it make? Pretty sure Grainger played WR in high school. With his size he could easily move to WR. CCH and staff are good at moving people around.
 #9754  by cavedweller2
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 am
The most popular player on a football team is the back up Quarterback or in this case the QB that is not even on the team. I for one dont have the sky is falling mentality toward our QB situation. I saw in Grainger a raw talent with the potential to be really good. He throws a strong accurate ball and is mobile. The OL is going to be more experienced and he will have time to throw this year. The coaches know what they have. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at our QB play this year. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I am not wrong.
Last edited by cavedweller2 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #9755  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am
Jasper wrote:
Ahhh...a voice of reason in this wilderness.

Unless the young man was a complete, um, tool, in his decommit and post-decommit communications, giving an indication of true lack of character; he would/should be welcomed with open arms there in the shadow of Paris Mountain, if all else makes sense.

Coach Hendrix has been Coaching for 78 years now. Do you think he’s ever seen young men make less-than-advantageous decisions? I know, FOR CERTAIN, he saw a goodly number of his Teammates perform self-cranial-rectal insertions during his playing days at FU.
Affirm, Jasper liked this
 #9756  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:04 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
The most popular player on a football team is the back up Quarterback or in this case the QB that is not even on the team. I for one dont have the sky is falling mentality toward our QB situation. I saw in Bradley a raw talent with the potential to be really good. He throws a strong accurate ball and is mobile. The OL is going to be more experienced and he will have time to throw this year. The coaches know what they have. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at our QB play this year. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I am not wrong.
My opinion, but being able to find an under appreciated athletes and develop that player is how you make your money in the FCS.

Grainger was a high school WR who converted to QB before his senior year. He threw for 2,000+ yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior.

You know another kid that was a high school WR that converted to QB and threw for 2,000+ yards and 17 touchdowns in his only year as a full time starter? Armanti Edwards. Virtually everyone that recruited him wanted him to play WR.
 #9757  by cavedweller2
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
The most popular player on a football team is the back up Quarterback or in this case the QB that is not even on the team. I for one dont have the sky is falling mentality toward our QB situation. I saw in Bradley a raw talent with the potential to be really good. He throws a strong accurate ball and is mobile. The OL is going to be more experienced and he will have time to throw this year. The coaches know what they have. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at our QB play this year. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I am not wrong.
My opinion, but being able to find an under appreciated athletes and develop that player is how you make your money in the FCS.

Grainger was a high school WR who converted to QB before his senior year. He threw for 2,000+ yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior.

You know another kid that was a high school WR that converted to QB and threw for 2,000+ yards and 17 touchdowns in his only year as a full time starter? Armanti Edwards. Virtually everyone that recruited him wanted him to play WR.
I meant Grainger. Dont know where Bradley came from.
 #9758  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 pm
The Jackal wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
Grainger was a high school WR who converted to QB

Be careful Jackal.

Cam Burnette was pretty much on Julio Jones level from your descriptions before he departed & now he’s just a “good player.”

Now, FUBeAR wouldn’t suggest you are prone to a bit of purple-tinted hyperbole, but others might.
bj93 liked this
 #9759  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

I meant Grainger. Dont know where Bradley came from.
That's too bad. I was starting to really like this Bradley kid. ;)
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #9760  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

Be careful Jackal.

Cam Burnette was pretty much on Julio Jones level from your descriptions before he departed & now he’s just a “good player.”

Now, FUBeAR wouldn’t suggest you are prone to a bit of purple-tinted hyperbole, but others might.
You can’t even write about hyperbole without hyperbole.

My point is that before everyone looks for a new QB, lets see what the kid that the coaches are so high on has first.
 #9761  by JohnW
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 am
It does seem like the announced offers have slowed considerably and the coaching staff is focused more on the 2020 class.

Suggests, perhaps, that the staff has their guys and are comfortable with where things stand.
Interestingly enough Hero Sports reports that Furman and WCU have been the most active SoCon staffs on the recruiting trail in January. Next Wednesday might hold some surprises.
 #9763  by fufanatic
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
The most popular player on a football team is the back up Quarterback or in this case the QB that is not even on the team. I for one dont have the sky is falling mentality toward our QB situation. I saw in Grainger a raw talent with the potential to be really good. He throws a strong accurate ball and is mobile. The OL is going to be more experienced and he will have time to throw this year. The coaches know what they have. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at our QB play this year. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I am not wrong.
Completely agree. I have referenced this one play a ton because it's the only game I saw live in 2018, but Grainger's pass against Samford in the second half before the wheels fell off was a thing of beauty. 77 yards to Thomas Gordon. Tight spiral, accurate, long throw. Grainger will be fine. I'm excited to see how he develops.
 #9766  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

Be careful Jackal.

You can’t even write about hyperbole without hyperbole.

My point is that before everyone looks for a new QB, lets see what the kid that the coaches are so high on has first.
C'mon now...you don't want me bringing over your many, many glowing (near slobbering) mentions of Mr. Burnette on AGS, such as the one below, just to prove my point. You had a major BroMance over him and now the best you can say is that he is "a good player." It's OK. Your blind passion as a Furman Fan is what FUBeAR loves most about you!

"Remember that kid's name. I've watched a lot of Furman football, and he is as impressive a freshman receiver as I can remember. Furman has produced a bunch of really good shifty smaller slot guys, but Burnette is 6'2 and can pick it. I imagine he will terrorize defenses for a long while."

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.