• 2019 Schdeule

#9656  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 am
Don't get me wrong, I am glad we got a 12th game as I have always been a big advocate of getting a 12th game but I am having second thoughts. A big IF but if we are headed to the playoffs do we really want to play this game or would we rather have a bye? If we are a bubble team I don't think this game will push us over the top. If we are not heading into the playoffs and this is a season ending game I hate to think what the attendance will be on a chilly November afternoon the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Point University is located in West Point, Ga. on the Ga/Ala line on I-85. They are an NAIA team. They were 3-8 last year and played one DI(sort of) team in Stetson and lost 48-7. Hopefully this game will serve as a workout heading to the playoffs. Still glad we have 12 games but ideally this game would be played early in the season. Wonder why FSB schedules already has the schedule but no official announcement from Furman?
 #9658  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Paladin82 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 pm
Very good road schedule for us Atlanta folks with the exception of Va. Tech. All games easy to get to.
I'm excited to see the crowd Furman brings to Georgia State. I really hope the university plays that game up big. I mean, when was the last time Furman played in metro Atlanta?
Date Opponent Site Result Attendance
September 2, 1995 Georgia Tech Bobby Dodd Stadium Atlanta L 51–7 38,511

BTW - FUBeAR's daughter was just accepted into grad school at Georgia State (much gratitude to Mrs. Aqualung, a former FU Cheer Athlete, who was very helpful in that process).

And...Y'all know FUBeAR's motto, "DNA before BA"

Contemplating if I might have to be a Panther fan on that day. FUPANTHeR doesn't quite work as well though.

Any guidance / advice / suggestions for me to deal with this upcoming dilemma?
In my experience, most grad students have very little connection to their grad school's athletic teams (unless said grad student went to undergrad at the same university).

The notable exception is for those that may have gone to a smaller undergraduate school and then to a much more athletically relevant grad school (Furman to UGA, for instance).
 #9659  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 am
Paladin82 wrote:
Very good road schedule for us Atlanta folks with the exception of Va. Tech. All games easy to get to.
Yes, even VA TECH easy to get to for you Atlanta folks. ATL has at least 5 DIRECT flights daily to Roanoke.
Paladin82 liked this
 #9660  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 am
Don't get me wrong, I am glad we got a 12th game as I have always been a big advocate of getting a 12th game but I am having second thoughts. A big IF but if we are headed to the playoffs do we really want to play this game or would we rather have a bye? If we are a bubble team I don't think this game will push us over the top. If we are not heading into the playoffs and this is a season ending game I hate to think what the attendance will be on a chilly November afternoon the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Point University is located in West Point, Ga. on the Ga/Ala line on I-85. They are an NAIA team. They were 3-8 last year and played one DI(sort of) team in Stetson and lost 48-7. Hopefully this game will serve as a workout heading to the playoffs. Still glad we have 12 games but ideally this game would be played early in the season. Wonder why FSB schedules already has the schedule but no official announcement from Furman?
Visuals are important. Having an 8th or 9th win looks good. You saw that last year where the committee picked teams with weaker resumes over Furman for the postseason.

It also balances out playing two FBS teams. Our two FBS games are not automatic L's like they are in some years, but having another winnable game helps level out the schedule. That said, we better sure beat Charleston Southern as that is our only crack at an OOC FCS team.

I don't think there's any disadvantage to the playoffs. If we are in a position to make the playoffs, it might be good to have a cool down game instead of just sitting at home. I'm certainly not here to discredit Point in January, but over the last few years they've generally lost big in their games against FCS teams.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #9661  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 am
SIX HOME GAMES!!! Thank goodness...its been a long time.

I like the schedule. The home/road mix is fairly well dispersed, we don't play a conference game until the fourth game in, and a SoCon Championship game on Nov 16 in Sparkle City. Bring it on.
dornb liked this
 #9662  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 am
SIX HOME GAMES!!! Thank goodness...its been a long time.

I like the schedule. The home/road mix is fairly well dispersed, we don't play a conference game until the fourth game in, and a SoCon Championship game on Nov 16 in Sparkle City. Bring it on.
Things I like:

1. We play two FBS games, but neither is an elite team, and we get them out of the way early.

2. We have a winnable FCS OOC game at home to start the year.

3. We play a game in metro-Atlanta, which will likely be a nice draw for the team on the road.

4. Our toughest part of the schedule (ETSU, Mercer, @ Samford) has two of three at home.

5. Our off week comes after our longest SoCon road trip (Samford) and before facing the Citadel's option offense.

6. We play a historically weak VMI team at home before facing Wofford.

7. We play Wofford and the Citadel late in the season, which helps develop a rivalry mentality.

8. Furman plays Wofford after they have back to back road games against Clemson and Mercer.

9. We have 6 home games.
MNORM, dornb, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #9663  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:31 am
After reading these comments I have come to the following conclusions.....
1. We have 12 games
2. We have 6 home games
3. We have a balanced schedule in terms of strength
4. one of you will question the rapture in terms of size/speed/timing/potentiality of injury
MNORM, dornb, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #9665  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin82 wrote:
I'm excited to see the crowd Furman brings to Georgia State. I really hope the university plays that game up big. I mean, when was the last time Furman played in metro Atlanta?

BTW - FUBeAR's daughter was just accepted into grad school at Georgia State (much gratitude to Mrs. Aqualung, a former FU Cheer Athlete, who was very helpful in that process).

Contemplating if I might have to be a Panther fan on that day. FUPANTHeR doesn't quite work as well though.

Grad school not the same as undergrad. You have no dilemna.
MNORM, dornb liked this
 #9666  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin82 wrote:

Not that simple...while transitioning from Ole Miss to UGa, she did a Term at Perimeter College, which is now part of GaSt...so she sorta has some PANTHeR undergrad ‘blood’ also.

What to do? What to do?...
 #9667  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin82 wrote:

Not that simple...while transitioning from Ole Miss to UGa, she did a Term at Perimeter College, which is now part of GaSt...so she sorta has some PANTHeR undergrad ‘blood’ also.

What to do? What to do?...
FUBEARPANTHER.....BEARFUPANTHER......BEARPANTHERFU.......PANTHERFUBEAR.......sounds like some rejected characters from South Park
FUBeAR liked this
 #9671  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm
The big question is your daughter a big Georgia State fan?
 #9673  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm
The big question is your daughter a big Georgia State fan?
She might be PLAYING for the Panthers as a Grad Transfer...still has eligibility remaining.

I think I’ll just let both sides know that my talents as an athletic supporter are uncommitted & I have reopened my Recruiting process.

Who gonna show FUBeAR(PANTHeR) the most love?
 #9677  by furman88
 Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm
Point Univ is NAIA but they bring the beef. Quick look at there roster and they have 15 guys over 300 lbs. Largest comes in at a swelt 370. Julius Dixon feeding them boys good!
FUBeAR liked this
 #9778  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:17 pm
Just looking at pioneer league San Diego's schedule. They have conference games in NC, Oh and 2 in Florida. How do they afford that many trips across country?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.