• (12-9) Samford @ (16-4) Furman Jan. 26th

#9572  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:00 pm
I’ll admit I am pretty stupid but I did get a bs from Furman cum laude. It appeared to me that the major 2nd half adjustment was that we had a big doing a semi double team on that little guy in the second half so that when he easily blew past his defender he had nowhere to go. That’s why they were able to get a couple of easy buckets passing to unguarded guys underneath.
Fessor liked this
 #9575  by Fessor
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:20 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Re: Lyons

Did anyone see the way he dogged Samford guard in 2nd half? Has anyone compared that guard’s first half stats with his 2nd half ?

Players make mistakes. We all do. If someone doesn’t think he is one of our 5 best players, then someone needs a brain scan.
Having to be stopper on one end of the court and closer on the other end is easy if your initials are MJ, you once almost cut your fingertip off with a cigar cutter, and you lived in the Ritz Carlton penthouse and threw blow out parties every night your entire 3 1/2 year tenure with the Wizards.

For everyone else, it's takes a toll on your offensive performance.
 #9580  by Fessor
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:26 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:33 pm
Fessor, you do realize 353 are ranked in Division I college basketball and you're telling me Furman is No. 82...That's top third of college basketball...get a clue.
Things I realize:

(1) The size of the potato chip bag has little to do with the amount of food inside and that "packed by weight not volume" is the biggest scam going;
(2) RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR;
(3) Something has happened with women's bra sizes and there are a lot of so-called C-cupped women walking around today that would have been B cups twenty years ago;
(4)) That with a handful of exceptions, the schools ranked in the Top 50 in 3FG% are a "Who's Not" of college basketball, whereas Duke is currently ranked #307, and therefore, that the positive predictive value of 3FG% in identifying winning teams is somewhere south of 1.0.
(5) There's a clarity about both ends of a life that people in their 50's have.
(6) The black-capped Chick-a-dee is the state bird of both Maine and Massachusetts and is probably my favorite back yard bird.
furman88 liked this
 #9582  by FU03times
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:26 pm
If you’re pointing fingers to individual players, based on 2 of their 40 minutes on the court on a single game in their 2.5 years on this team, you’re a disgrace to the whole fan base. I cannot believe anyone who would call themselves a Furman fan, supposedly supporting this team, who has brought so much more than a good basketball record to our school, could make such rush decisions and judgments and turn their backs to a team because of a home loss to a good Samford team. If this is how you deal with this loss, shame on you.
 #9583  by FU03times
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:30 pm
Jordan Lyons is an amazing player. Period. Just because his scoresheet doesn’t always show that, he has helped this team tremendously, especially this season, as one of the few vocal leaders in our team. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, just stop talking. You can’t come on this board claiming to know that Jordan Lyons is to blame for this game and that he is at best an okay player...this just shows you haven’t seen him play this season or any of the previous seasons at all. I also got a cum laude BS from Furman and I remember specifically not being taught about the impact a player can have on a cold-shooting night. So our degrees mean nothing on this board. Watch what happens away from the ball from now on and take notes.
 #9584  by FU03times
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 pm
Also Furmanoid, saying you “didn’t name the player” and we all still knew who you were talking about...yeah we don’t need a BS (cum laude) from Furman to remember who stepped out of bounds in the last minute. We all watched it. It happens. Can’t believe how some people on this board keep putting our players down...
 #9588  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:51 pm
Back to the game, I hope this one doesn't comeback to haunt us like the ETSU game in football did since it's very likely Samford will be the one we will fighting for positioning.
 #9599  by furman86
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:39 am
I was at the game, and it was crushing, but it doesn't change much.

We'll still probably play Chatt, Samford, or Mercer on Saturday in the SOCON tournament. We'll still probably play Wofford, ETSU, or UNCG on Sunday and Monday. And we get to watch our guys play 9 games to prepare for the tournament.

We get to watch Matt Rafferty and Andrew Brown play for Furman for about 2 more months. We have our head coach for at least that long.

This has been a great season, and can still be one.
 #9601  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:08 pm
I know the refs were not great but its hard to complain about them when we were up 10 and to quote CBR "kept shooting ourselves in the foot,"
Agreed. I just couldn't believe the two intentional calls and the late whistles. Even though it helped us, the intentional call at the end of the game on Sharkey was insane. Literally every foul at the end of the game is intentional. Either call them all, or call none of them. Ridiculous.
 #9602  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 am
furman86 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:39 am
I was at the game, and it was crushing, but it doesn't change much.

We'll still probably play Chatt, Samford, or Mercer on Saturday in the SOCON tournament. We'll still probably play Wofford, ETSU, or UNCG on Sunday and Monday. And we get to watch our guys play 9 games to prepare for the tournament.

We get to watch Matt Rafferty and Andrew Brown play for Furman for about 2 more months. We have our head coach for at least that long.

This has been a great season, and can still be one.
Great points. We just gotta enjoy this ride while we are on it. No matter what happens in Asheville, this has been a really fun year. Will hurt more than normal if we don't make the big dance, but better than the alternative of winning 10 games in a year and barely paying attention to Asheville because we were one and done.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.