• Way too early SoCon picks 18-19

#908  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm
I have a feeling we are going to be as good as or better next year than we were this year.
 #909  by AllKnighter
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:53 pm
And most importantly apaladin...How the heck do you know? You some kind of basketball prophet or swami???
Wow, I'm pretty sure you posted a forecast that had Furman 4th next year. So, would that qualify you as a "prophet or swami"? We finished 3rd and went home in the semifinals this year. Do you expect us to win the SoCon tourney with the 4th seed? Why jump on someone like that?
apaladin liked this
 #916  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm
All I am saying is that after 38 years, I think we could bring Duke into Greenville and put them in FU unis and they wouldn't win the SoCon tourney. It's just not going to happen. With that said I am looking forward to watching next years team as I think we will be fun to watch. Win the tourney? No just not going to happen for whatever reason.
 #933  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:00 pm
No fourth is reasonable...It soulds like apaladin is picking Furman 11th in a 10-team league...And yes, Furman could very well win the tournament next year.
GOAT and 1 others liked this
 #956  by Fessor
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:42 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:01 pm
Niko’s departure did not have a significant negative impact.
Not yet.

The jury is still out. Eddie Holbrook won for two seasons. The obvious difference between then and now being that BR played a major role in recruiting NM's players whereas EH did not with respect to Joe Williams' players.
AllKnighter liked this
 #965  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 am
Fessor wrote:
gman wrote:
Not yet.

The jury is still out. Eddie Holbrook won for two seasons. The obvious difference between then and now being that BR played a major role in recruiting NM's players whereas EH did not with respect to Joe Williams' players.

Not saying this is the case here, but there are a bunch of examples also where a programs success can be most easily attributed to the assistant, not the head coach. The head coach gets the headlines, but the assistant is the brains of the operation.

The reality is, we don’t know enough yet to make a final determination about much of anything.
Jasper liked this
 #969  by Fessor
 Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fessor wrote:
gman wrote:
Not yet.

Not saying this is the case here, but there are a bunch of examples also where a programs success can be most easily attributed to the assistant, not the head coach. The head coach gets the headlines, but the assistant is the brains of the operation.

The reality is, we don’t know enough yet to make a final determination about much of anything.
Let me see if understand: I believe you're saying the jury is still out.
AllKnighter liked this
 #977  by Jasper
 Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am
Fessor wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fessor wrote:
gman wrote:
Not yet.

Let me see if understand: I believe you're saying the jury is still out.
Sure sounds like it to me too.
AllKnighter liked this
 #1244  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 pm
Drop Samford even further as Justin Coleman has announced he’s transferring. WTH is going on down there?

And scratch “all 5 starters returning” for Chattanooga as Nat Dixon is leaving the program.
 #1245  by tim
 Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm
Fletcher Magee declared for the NBA draft but didn't hire an agent, so he can come back if things don't work out. Expect to see him next year.
 #1246  by Monday
 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:46 pm
Maybe Samford is trying to win the coveted Most Offseason Transfers award. They have just as many as perennial favorite The Citadel, 3.

I remember watching Samford last year and thinking how loaded they'd be in a couple years.
 #1247  by tya1
 Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:19 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 pm
Drop Samford even further as Justin Coleman has announced he’s transferring. WTH is going on down there?

And scratch “all 5 starters returning” for Chattanooga as Nat Dixon is leaving the program.
Coleman probably looked at the returning lineup and understood that next year will probably be a rebuilding year.
Because Coleman will graduate this year he would be immediately eligible wherever he goes. Expect him to go somewhere with a strong chance of making the NCAA tournament next year.

Could he do the Grimm and transfer back to the school he left? Alabama star freshman guard Collin Sexton will probably declare for the NBA draft and be an early pick.
 #1250  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am
Reading back over this thread, and the comments on our coaching. Now that the season has ended, I have observed many positive aspects of Coach Richey's handling of this team, both on and off the court. He is quick to admit where he could have done a better job; failure is a great way to learn! The season itself was far from a failure and we played well overall. But there are a number things internally he had deal with and I was impressed with his handling of those issues. Benching the reigning SoCon POY, a player you recruited and was his position coach for 3 years--that could not have been easy. It took some guts; we then won 7 straight games before losing in the semi finals. Do NOT lose sight on how we finished the season in the league. Much behind the scenes we never see or hear about.
furpep, MNORM, dornb and 6 others liked this
 #1251  by tim
 Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am
Reading back over this thread, and the comments on our coaching. Now that the season has ended, I have observed many positive aspects of Coach Richey's handling of this team, both on and off the court. He is quick to admit where he could have done a better job; failure is a great way to learn! The season itself was far from a failure and we played well overall. But there are a number things internally he had deal with and I was impressed with his handling of those issues. Benching the reigning SoCon POY, a player you recruited and was his position coach for 3 years--that could not have been easy. It took some guts; we then won 7 straight games before losing in the semi finals. Do NOT lose sight on how we finished the season in the league. Much behind the scenes we never see or hear about.
Well, the internal , behind the scenes stuff sounds absolutely scary. Since you threw it out there, can you say any more?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.