• (12-9) Samford @ (16-4) Furman Jan. 26th

#9549  by fu77fan
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm
It was a team loss for sure.
There were perhaps 10 instances, where if so and so had happened instead of what did happen, Furman would have won the game.
A game of inches. I hope we can learn from it.
 #9550  by purplehorse
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am
To make everyone feel slightly better, go find the highlights from the Old Dominion - UTSA game yesterday. ODU was up 17 with four minutes to go on the road, and lost...the highlights are pretty stunning.

Also the refs in our game should be barred from reffing a rec league game. Embarrassing to the SoCon.

The Old Dominion game shows that with the 3 point shot it is never over until it is over. We were down yesterday and all of a sudden we had 4 straight possessions where we hit our 3’s and shazam we had a 10 point lead.
 #9552  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm
One player was so bad it looked like he was throwing the game. When we could overcome his awful shot selection and inability to shoot at all, he found a way to throw the ball away, step out of bounds etc. They either needed to sit him or tell him to just play d and give the other guys a chance to win it. He just isn’t good. I know that was mean to say, but good grief open your eyes.

If FU is going to be good, they have got to get some guys who can shoot. They are so far off line you can usually tell it’s a miss before they even release. HS teams don’t miss that many wide open shots. FU only stays in games because that Rafferty guy just wills them into it.

Anybody know if Dejuan Bell has any interest in playing? He could definitely help them. He’s not a great shooter himself but as good as what we have now.
 #9554  by soconjohn
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:21 pm
Furman wouldn't have beaten Villanova without Jordan Lyons and the list goes on...So Furmanoid, if Lyons wasn't on the team, Furman might have won seven games to this point...Certainly wouldn't have beaten WCU or Gardner-Webb either....I mean, anyone that has followed Furman knows that...I guarantee you Wofford, Mercer or Chattanooga--that's right the other ones that wanted him recruiting besides Furman--would love to have him...Watch what you say boss because you have no idea.
 #9556  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:14 pm
I didn’t say his name but somehow you knew who I was talking about. I watch about every other game or so and he’s had an off game every time I’ve watched.

Ok he’s a decent player. But he seems to be either great or horrible on a given night. So when it’s a horrible night (like all the ones I’ve watched) why leave him in there to screw everything up? Had he been benched, would he feel worse than he does now?
I will give him this- he appeared gassed in the first half. Maybe he’s sick.
 #9558  by furman88
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:30 pm
Never thought it was kosher to point out an individual player on this board. Sure there were mistakes made but this was a team loss. The meltdown in the last 4 min. was shared even with the coaching staff. The team was not sharp and crisp from the start and let Samford hang around. The real test will be how this team responds. I have reason to believe it will be positive. I trust Coach Richey to make the right decisions.
soconjohn, dornb liked this
 #9559  by soconjohn
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:35 pm
I never pointed out a player as much as to keep from some jack-leg like I know every fanbase has from doing it...Then I get blamed for it...Come on dude, don't play it like you didn't mention him, yet you said what you said...You know what you said was inaccurate...You pounced on the situation when I said "the loss was NOT Jordan Lyons' fault" just so we're clear here...Stand up for what you say.
 #9561  by soconjohn
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:42 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm
One player was so bad it looked like he was throwing the game. When we could overcome his awful shot selection and inability to shoot at all, he found a way to throw the ball away, step out of bounds etc. They either needed to sit him or tell him to just play d and give the other guys a chance to win it. He just isn’t good. I know that was mean to say, but good grief open your eyes.

If FU is going to be good, they have got to get some guys who can shoot. They are so far off line you can usually tell it’s a miss before they even release. HS teams don’t miss that many wide open shots. FU only stays in games because that Rafferty guy just wills them into it.

Anybody know if Dejuan Bell has any interest in playing? He could definitely help them. He’s not a great shooter himself but as good as what we have now.
There's your quote.
 #9564  by dinhead
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:03 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:44 pm
And really they have to get some guys "that can shoot" when Furman is 15th nationally in three-pointers made...are you crazy???
There's a huge difference between three point shots made and three point shooting percentage. Lyons is shooting only 31% from three against D-1 competition and Hunter is shooting only a few percentage points higher. Gurley is below 30%. Rafferty rarely shoots threes and our best three point shooter Mounce is in a shooting slump.
 #9565  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm
I was just trying to find a clue. It appears that we are 11th in 3 attempts per game. We don’t crack the top 50 in team 3 percentage. For comparison, PC is 37th. We do have an individual who is 6th in 3 attempts but nobody in the top 80 in percentage.

It appears that our game plan is to work for open 3s and we do a good job of getting those looks. But we are not making the shots and lots of the misses are really bad. Back of the rim is one thing but consistently offline is another.
 #9566  by Fessor
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:44 pm
And really they have to get some guys "that can shoot" when Furman is 15th nationally in three-pointers made...are you crazy???
The list of leaders in team 3FG MADE reads like a veritable "Who's Who" of NCAA Men's College BB. Some real "blue bloods": Citadel, Purdue-Ft. Wayne, Oakland, Savannah St., and Longwood are all in the Top Ten.

The point, for those of you those playing at home, is that 3FG made rankings ARE DRIVEN BY 3FG attempted rankings.

Shooting accuracy is better measured by shooting %. In this category, FU (36.9%) is #82 in D-1. In state, Coastal, Wofford, Presbyterian, and Winthrop all shoot three's at a better % than FU.
 #9568  by CharlieFU
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Re: Lyons

Did anyone see the way he dogged Samford guard in 2nd half? Has anyone compared that guard’s first half stats with his 2nd half ?

Players make mistakes. We all do. If someone doesn’t think he is one of our 5 best players, then someone needs a brain scan.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.