• (12-9) Samford @ (16-4) Furman Jan. 26th

#9513  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:53 pm
Rafferty is a damn good player

If we don't get some other guys besides him to step up their game this SoCon slate will continue to be a disaster
Disaster? Really? You have to think of how good we are, compared to certain other years.
 #9516  by tim
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:07 pm
Total choke job. There are one or two guys that are getting minutes that I can't understand. How do you have two back court violations in the last few minutes? Flagrant fouls? stepping on the end line? This team is showing a scary tendency to collapse at the end of the game. Not good.
 #9517  by fufanatic
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 pm
I still think we have a really good team. Think we will slot into at least 4th place in league and should win a lot of games this year. Just tough to lose at home when holding a 10-point lead late. And tough knowing 20-plus wins and 4th in SoCon without a tourney title means team isn’t playing past early March.
 #9520  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm
Game summary:

Pretty poor first half including 3 for 11 3’s. Won’t beat many So Conf teams shooting like that.

Great first 15 minutes of second half. We got the good lead when we hit 4 3’s in a row. Energetic crowd with great atmosphere.

Last 5 minutes-total meltdown like the 4th quarter against ETSU in football. Nothing went right.

Other thoughts:

Lyons had the ball go off his foot (he has dribbled off his foot several times this year), missed the front end of the one-and-one late (in and out-which would have put us up by 4 or 5) and stepped out of bounds on the last pass-in.

We had two ill-adviced corner 3’s late.

No defense after Lyon’s missed FT with under 20 seconds when we let guy drive for lay-up to cut lead to 1.

Wofford really does know how to win late and has several players who can hit the big “money” shot late. Furman, not so much.

Rafferty is a pleasure to watch. He deserved to win today. He amazes me.

Need to win home games!!!

Our first “bad” loss and possibly a critical one as far as tourney seeding.

Samford will be a tough “out” in the tournament for anybody. Furman will be also.

It is going to come down to tournament time anyway! Got to get mentally tougher and learn from this loss.
 #9521  by Paul C
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:21 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm
What happened tonight doesn't happen to good teams
Really? You must not watch much basketball.

Up until tonites meltdown we won the games we were supposed to win, and lost the games we were supposed to lose. Except Villanova and Loyola. First game we lost we were supposed to win.

In a 30 game season even the best teams stub their toe and get upset, and yes, sometimes the wheels fall off.

This is a test, a wake up call . First loss that really stings. The other 4 losses were to very good teams on the road. This was at home to a 2-6 team. They say you learn more when you lose than when you win. Bob has a challenge to take the lessons from tonites game and apply them to make this team better down the stretch.
FU03times liked this
 #9523  by FU3
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:24 pm
This is a pretty good basketball team that had a great run early in the season and is now facing some adversity. Don’t quite get all the doom and gloom. There 4 or 5 teams fully capable of winning the tournament and Furman is one of them.This was a tough loss but I like our coaching staff and believe that they will get them back on track.
FU03times liked this
 #9525  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 pm
Drowning my sorrows at Waffle House. Alone. My wife made me drop her off at home. I’m not very good company anyway.

Let’s hope the Tre Clark as back up point guard experiment is back on the shelf.

Can you believe we get 3 more years to watch Noah Gurley? Wow. Clay had a quiet but good night.

Hurt by foul trouble with Hunter and Clark. Not sure what to say about the last 4 minutes. Ouch. But I know this: it doesn’t mean we are not a good team. And doesn’t mean we can’t still have a very good finish. A real challenge though. We finish first half of SoCon at 5-4. We need to win 6 of 9 in this next round, to finish 11-7.

I love Furman basketball. The last 5 years we have gone from expecting to lose to expecting to win. That is huge. Hoping we can take that next step up.

Finally, someone said one or two are getting minutes when they shouldn’t. How would you change the line up? What players ought to be playing more and who plays less? Just curious.

Now leave me alone while I finish my hash browns.
FU03times liked this
 #9526  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:56 pm
We got comfortable with our 10 point lead and were careless and did not think. Outscored 14-2 at end. Against Wofford 7-0 at end.

We had Mounce and Rafferty step up late at Loyola Chicago and Villanova. But last year at Tenn and against Wofford this year and tonight nobody stepped up at end.

With the strong first 15 minutes of the second half we had outscored them by 17 in the second half. If we ever put a whole game together we can beat anyone in the Southern Conference.
FU03times liked this
 #9527  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:00 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 pm
Drowning my sorrows at Waffle House. Alone. My wife made me drop her off at home. I’m not very good company anyway.

Let’s hope the Tre Clark as back up point guard experiment is back on the shelf.

Can you believe we get 3 more years to watch Noah Gurley? Wow. Clay had a quiet but good night.

Hurt by foul trouble with Hunter and Clark. Not sure what to say about the last 4 minutes. Ouch. But I know this: it doesn’t mean we are not a good team. And doesn’t mean we can’t still have a very good finish. A real challenge though. We finish first half of SoCon at 5-4. We need to win 6 of 9 in this next round, to finish 11-7.

I love Furman basketball. The last 5 years we have gone from expecting to lose to expecting to win. That is huge. Hoping we can take that next step up.

Finally, someone said one or two are getting minutes when they shouldn’t. How would you change the line up? What players ought to be playing more and who plays less? Just curious.

Now leave me alone while I finish my hash browns.
Tre Clark is in for defense. Shot has improved but still needs to keep working on shooting including free throws. When he dribbles, including going to the basket, he seems like he is an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully he will improve. Gurley and Lyons are also at times sloppy with the ball-their dribbling.
 #9528  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 pm
Gurley (3 for 10), Hunter (1 for 6) and Lyons (2 for 7) on three’s.

Not sure you will win many games with that. Should Gurley be shooting 10 3’s?

I still think we need more pure shooters.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.