• Spring Practice

#9457  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm
I know CCH has his reasons but I feel for the players and coaches practicing in 20 something degree weather at 6AM Just don't see how those conditions are conducive for learning and getting things accomplished. It supposed to be even colder next week.
We won (at least) 4 SoCon Championships (‘80-‘83) following Spring Practices held during “Winter Term” (Jan & Feb). Coach Sheridan instituted it & Coach Hendrix played on each of those Teams. I’ll go with their judgement & the evidence vs. Coach apaladin’s opinion on this matter.

PS - I froze my purple paladini off during 6 “Spring Practices” (4 as a Player & 2 as a GradAsst Coach) held during “Winter Term.” Can’t say that I loved it, but I did love WINNING!
Paladin82 liked this
 #9459  by Fred Garvin
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:39 am
apaladin wrote:
I know CCH has his reasons but I feel for the players and coaches practicing in 20 something degree weather at 6AM Just don't see how those conditions are conducive for learning and getting things accomplished. It supposed to be even colder next week.
We won (at least) 4 SoCon Championships (‘80-‘83) following Spring Practices held during “Winter Term” (Jan & Feb). Coach Sheridan instituted it & Coach Hendrix played on each of those Teams. I’ll go with their judgement & the evidence vs. Coach apaladin’s opinion on this matter.

PS - I froze my purple paladini off during 6 “Spring Practices” (4 as a Player & 2 as a GradAsst Coach) held during “Winter Term.” Can’t say that I loved it, but I did love WINNING!
It's cold at 6AM and its cold at 3 PM......I also froze plums off during "Spring " practice and hated every second of it....but we could whip anyone......the tobacco chewing HC who was 30 miles west still marvels about the practice habits of Coach Sheridan
 #9460  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 am
apaladin wrote:
DeepPurple wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 pm
Those young QBs have some valuable experience under the belt. I believe we will see great strides with them this year. I think our OL will start looking like the bunch we knew we would eventually have with CCH.
Slight correction, Grainger has some experience. Sisson, virtually none. Talking about game experience. I know CCH has his reasons but I feel for the players and coaches practicing in 20 something degree weather at 6AM Just don't see how those conditions are conducive for learning and getting things accomplished. It supposed to be even colder next week.
Not to sound like the "get off my lawn old guy"...but are you serious? I realize things are a little different now, but if these men can't focus for a practice when it's a little cold out what will be the expectations if/when we have to travel to play a Big Sky or MVFC opponent for a second round game (in an outdoor stadium)? Maybe it's because I played MANY a game and practice in the snow that I think this is weak...but good Lord, it's 28 degrees out, not -28!
Jasper liked this
 #9466  by Flagman
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 am
I remember sitting in the stands during a Montana State game in Bozeman. Now that was cold.
MNORM, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #9467  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am
Flagman wrote:
I remember sitting in the stands during a Montana State game in Bozeman. Now that was cold.
I forget the exact temperature, but that semifinal in Boone in 2005 wasn't exactly balmy.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #9468  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 pm
I’d speculate it’s to ensure 100% participation with class and lab scheduling conflicts...
If that is the case then that is ridiculous. They need to recognize that the University exists to support the football team. Not the other way around. Football practice should be the priority. Dnag.
FUBeAR, bj93, hypercycloid liked this
 #9471  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I forget the exact temperature, but that semifinal in Boone in 2005 wasn't exactly balmy.
I miss those days. I don’t miss Statesboro, but I miss those roadtrips up the mountain to Boone.
MNORM, AstroDin liked this
 #9475  by Flagman
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:01 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I miss those days. I don’t miss Statesboro, but I miss those roadtrips up the mountain to Boone.
NOT!
 #9481  by soconjohn
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:51 pm
What difference does the temperature make and learning...Guess App State never learns anything then.
 #9482  by soconjohn
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:56 pm
Ok so flagman...At least Boone has something to look at like a mountain...Statesboro may have a recliner in a grassy portion of the median along Highway 25...Let’s be honest here.
 #9483  by gman
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I miss those trips too. So exciting. Now it’s road trips to VMI and PC to play in front of 500 fans. Anyone that didn’t get a thrill playing those teams in front of big crowds should stop going to football games.
 #9485  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
I miss those trips too. So exciting. Now it’s road trips to VMI and PC to play in front of 500 fans. Anyone that didn’t get a thrill playing those teams in front of big crowds should stop going to football games.
Agreed...but that drive back to Greenville from Boone in 2005 was one of the worst.
 #9708  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:19 pm
paladinduece wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm
Curious now that they have a few practices under their belt has anybody heard any info
They’ve seen some good things. Some kids are stepping up. Some of the kids they Redshirted last year are looking like they can contribute. They still have a lot of improvement to make, but the effort is good, even with the cold weather. If they continue to work hard, we think we have a chance to have a pretty good football Team.

8-)

[Note: FUBeAR has no actual knowledge of anything to do with Spring Practice]
paladinduece liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.