#8268  by gman
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 pm
Wofford up 50-41 over 17 Miss St at half. Woffy 9-12 from 3.....

Who are we rooting for? I can make the argument either way.
Unless it helps us, we never root for the little under porch dwelling ankle biters.
I don’t like Woffy either, but a win but a SoCon member over a Top 25 power conference team is always a good thing. I was pulling for the ankle biters.
 #8270  by fufanatic
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am
gman wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 pm
Wofford up 50-41 over 17 Miss St at half. Woffy 9-12 from 3.....

Who are we rooting for? I can make the argument either way.
Unless it helps us, we never root for the little under porch dwelling ankle biters.
I don’t like Woffy either, but a win but a SoCon member over a Top 25 power conference team is always a good thing. I was pulling for the ankle biters.
I agree. For there ever to be a case for an at-large bid besides someone going 31-1, we need SoCon teams to step in non-conference games and also in the tournament. Whoever makes it this year needs at least one win. It's been since Davidson I believe. Not good.
 #8271  by CharlieFU
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm
And NET is being used instead of RPI as I understand it. Read an article on this new NET; the main gist is that every ranking system has its own strengths and weaknesses. It’s just one tool
The NCAA's computer metric is irrelevant to mid-majors - they excluded mid-majors despite being very high in RPI and would do the same with NET. It might settle a few arguments over middling power conference teams.
Offcially it is not irrelevant. Now, in reality, maybe they will not give it the weight it may deserve. And, as you can see in my post, it is but a tool in the overall analysis--some may give it more or less weight than others do.
 #8273  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am
CharlieFU wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
And NET is being used instead of RPI as I understand it. Read an article on this new NET; the main gist is that every ranking system has its own strengths and weaknesses. It’s just one tool
The NCAA's computer metric is irrelevant to mid-majors - they excluded mid-majors despite being very high in RPI and would do the same with NET. It might settle a few arguments over middling power conference teams.
Offcially it is not irrelevant. Now, in reality, maybe they will not give it the weight it may deserve. And, as you can see in my post, it is but a tool in the overall analysis--some may give it more or less weight than others do.
The point isn't about any one tool, it's that regardless of the available metrics, the NCAA will almost always exclude mid-majors from at-large consideration. The "mid-major" teams that have gotten at-large bids usually weren't really mid-major programs anyway, like Wichita State, Butler, etc.

There is no way that the SoCon can become strong enough to earn at-large consideration on any kind of regular basis. St. Marys was excluded despite the WCC being highly-rated, to relate an earlier example.

The mid-major conferences should be much more aggressive in advancing their own interests. That's the only way for SoCon teams to get into the at-large picture.
 #8274  by CharlieFU
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am
CharlieFU wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
The point isn't about any one tool, it's that regardless of the available metrics, the NCAA will almost always exclude mid-majors from at-large consideration. The "mid-major" teams that have gotten at-large bids usually weren't really mid-major programs anyway, like Wichita State, Butler, etc.

There is no way that the SoCon can become strong enough to earn at-large consideration on any kind of regular basis. St. Marys was excluded despite the WCC being highly-rated, to relate an earlier example.

The mid-major conferences should be much more aggressive in advancing their own interests. That's the only way for SoCon teams to get into the at-large picture.
Not to be particular, but.... MY point was simply to say (1) we now have this new thing--NET rankings and (2) it is not any more perfect than than others--and is but ONE TOOL to measure teams by. That was MY POINT.

YOUR POINT, which i agree with by the way, is that mid majors are not getting the credit they are due under any measure of success.

I will leave to you and others on how to fix (certainly a better OOC record/schedule is ONE way to help)
 #8480  by Flagman
 Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:23 pm
It was a good ride. We all enjoyed it. Now, it's time to get down to business. Pre-season is over. The season begins Saturday in Johnson City. If we make it to March madness, it'll happen because we are the best in the SoCon. We never worried about polls before. They never meant much to any mid-major. Conference tournament performance is all that will matter.
Affirm, furpop16, bj93 and 2 others liked this
 #9319  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:52 pm
This week’s coaches poll shows 9 votes for FU and 1 vote for WC. It seems Furman has gained more votes while on a two game losing skid. Does anyone know if there is access to each coaches’ poll?
This may be due to not only almost winning AT Wofford (2 point lead with 1 min. left)(all 4 losses for FU on the road to good teams), but also due to how well Villanova, Loyola and LSU are doing in the Big East, MVC and SEC

Can't find access to each coaches ballot however

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.