• CIT

CIT

#923  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 am
I see that the CIT tourney starts on Monday with 4 games televised on the CBS Sports Network. As far as I can tell no teams have been announced. IF we are in it you would think we know something by today since travel plans have to be made etc. Anyone heard anything? Don't know about the CBI and I guess the NIT is out of the question.

EDITED: Just saw where the CBI tourney will be announced on Sunday night on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
 #924  by tim
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am
Austin Peay, Abilene Christian, Liberty, Marsha, Niagra are in the CIT. Canisius is in the CBI. Good exposure for them and invaluable experience if they play their younger players. Apparently we will leave this up to a player vote?
 #929  by gman
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am
We are not going. I’m glad. We need to move on from this type of tournament.
GOAT, Jasper liked this
 #930  by fufanatic
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am
We are not going. I’m glad. We need to move on from this type of tournament.
Would have been fun to see the team a couple more times, but I don't blame them or the administration for saying no. Absolutely no one watches these games other than fans and compulsive gamblers. Could easily just spend the money elsewhere on recruiting or doing something for the program. It is super depressing though that at this level of basketball that you can have one of the best seasons in school history and have no postseason to show for it. I would kill (figuratively) for the NIT right now.
Fessor, FU03times, Jasper liked this
 #932  by CharlieFU
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm
Yeah, I am selfish and wanted to see them again....BUT completely understand if that is the decision.
 #934  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Don't hate on compulsive gamblers. ;)
fufanatic liked this
 #935  by Paul C
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:29 pm
It's more easily justified when you have a young team that could use another game or two. Slightly disappointed we are passing.

Just saw a tweet that Drake has "accepted" a CIT bid and are not charging admission to the game....
 #942  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 pm
Paul C wrote:
It's more easily justified when you have a young team that could use another game or two. Slightly disappointed we are passing.

Just saw a tweet that Drake has "accepted" a CIT bid and are not charging admission to the game....
They have a lot of seniors too and finished 16-16. :shock:
AllKnighter liked this
 #943  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:03 am
tim wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am
Austin Peay, Abilene Christian, Liberty, Marsha, Niagra are in the CIT. Canisius is in the CBI. Good exposure for them and invaluable experience if they play their younger players. Apparently we will leave this up to a player vote?
Why is Marshall in the CIT??? They are playing for the C-USA championship on Saturday.
 #944  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:25 am
Paul C wrote:

Yes there were 4 seniors, but the rest of the team is relatively young and could have benefitted from playing. Certainly could not have hurt to get some more tourney experience.
 #946  by Fuonetime
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:08 am
Disappointed! Would have loved to see the Paladins play more! Drake-FU matchup would be a classic!
 #952  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm
There are really only two post season basketball tournaments - the NCAA and the NIT. If you don't make one of them, you go home and try to get better in whatever manner you can. Q - How do you get to the Big Dance? A - the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, m'boy - practice!
Fessor, GOAT, AllKnighter liked this
 #954  by Fessor
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm
There are really only two post season basketball tournaments - the NCAA and the NIT. If you don't make one of them, you go home and try to get better in whatever manner you can. Q - How do you get to the Big Dance? A - the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, m'boy - practice!
While I suspect the decision may have been based more on money, accepting a CIT bid should not be regarded as a successful end to the season, at least not at this point in the Medved/Richey era.

Not playing in the post season should hopefully add a little fire to off season work for players and coaches.
AllKnighter liked this
 #961  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:35 pm
I agree. These post-season tournaments that start with C are not worth it. They are a waste of time in somewhat the same way that about 50% of the FBS bowl games are a waste of time; except that it's my understanding that at least those bowl game participating schools break even financially.
GOAT liked this
 #962  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Maybe, but I enjoyed last years run in the CIT. It gave us an opportunity to be on Sportscenter and get a little national pub which is pretty rare so in that case it was worth it. How many times have you seen 2 FU players interviewed on SC. If we had not been in the CIT it would not have happened. I hope it was a senior led decision and not because of money because that would be a shame for the seniors after what they have done for the program.
fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.