• Our Biggest Rival

#9263  by purplehorse
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:40 pm
At least one person on the Wofford board would feel better if some of us claimed that Wofford was our rival. Opinions I am sure vary but I consider them to be our biggest rival in both football and basketball. I think most would say there has to be some competiveness in a rivalry-that if one team wins all the time, that is not a rivalry. So as only one fan, I concede that to them. Wofford has improved over the years in both football and basketball such that I consider them a rivalry. IMHO no other school is anywhere close. In years past our biggest rivals in football were Marshall and later App State and Ga Southern. Citadel has always been a rival but since it is so one-sided, I don’t consider them any great rival. I guess Wofford’s proximity adds to the rivalry. So my answer would be Wofford is by far our biggest rival in both sports. Hence despite my strong dislike for them I commend them on their improvement in both sports.
underjack liked this
 #9265  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:53 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm
Absolutely, Wofford is our biggest rival.
Agree. Wofford is now our biggest rival. And we need to improve in our outcomes against them.
 #9266  by Flagman
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:16 pm
Some of you may consider Wofford a rival, but the team those of my generation love to beat (like a drum) is citadel bellhops, in any sport. There could be a time, when our little brother from Spartanburg might rise to the level of rivalry, but I don't think I'll live to see that day.
Rokawaylifer, QCGlue, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #9270  by PaladinPower
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm
It is pretty safe to say that anyone who graduated in the last ~15 years considers Wofford as FU’s rival. Look at the student sections at basketball games. Mainly due to proximity, liberal arts, school size, and the students each school attracts being similar, IMO.. It doesn’t really matter who us fans think of as a rival, so I am not sure why WC fans are in a tizzy about it. The goal is to beat the snot out of every opponent.
QCGlue, FU03times liked this
 #9272  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Flagman wrote:
Some of you may consider Wofford a rival, but the team those of my generation love to beat (like a drum) is citadel bellhops, in any sport. There could be a time, when our little brother from Spartanburg might rise to the level of rivalry, but I don't think I'll live to see that day.
I’m from your generation - maybe older. I consider WC the rival now. That does not change how I feel about beating Citadel. Yes, beat Citadel. But we need to also beat WC more than we do - like a drum or just beat them. I don’t know, maybe we’re > 50% against them. Does not feel like it. No excuse to ever be behind Wofford, in my humble opinion.
 #9273  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Flagman wrote:
I’m from your generation - maybe older. I consider WC the rival now. That does not change how I feel about beating Citadel. Yes, beat Citadel. But we need to also beat WC more than we do - like a drum or just beat them. I don’t know, maybe we’re > 50% against them. Does not feel like it. No excuse to ever be behind Wofford, in my humble opinion.

Furman leads all time series 86-56

They have not beaten us in Greenville since we became good 5 years ago, including our 24 point blowout win last season

Last night we played poorly offensively and they still barley beat us at home. Furman has clearly been the better program over the last 4 years and I am not giving Wofford any credit for doing anything special until they either prove they can beat us in Greenville or win the SoCon tourney
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #9274  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 pm
2016 (split home and home series)
FU record 19-16
Woff record 15-17

2017 (split home and home series)
FU record 23-12
Woff record 16-17

2018 (split home and home series)(including 24 point blowout win for Furman)
FU record 23-10
Woff record 21-13

2019 (Woff barely wins at home)(Furman has home opportunity at already sold out Timmons Arena later this season)
FU record 15-4
Woff record 15-4
 #9277  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm
Thanks for trying Dungeon Realm, but you have not made me feel better. According to you, we “became good” 5 years ago. 2014? 2013? The years you cite, we are merely splitting games, so as I felt, we have not been >50% vs them. We should be >50% vs them. You cite the overall historical record vs them. What is the record vs them if we omit all those years when they were not D1? What is the overall record last 10 years against them? How many times have they been to NCAA since 2009 ? (4 times in the 9 seasons since 2009). How many times have we been to NCAA since 1980? (0 times in the 38 seasons since 1980)
 #9279  by Flagman
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm
It is pretty safe to say that anyone who graduated in the last ~15 years considers Wofford as FU’s rival. Look at the student sections at basketball games. Mainly due to proximity, liberal arts, school size, and the students each school attracts being similar, IMO.. It doesn’t really matter who us fans think of as a rival, so I am not sure why WC fans are in a tizzy about it. The goal is to beat the snot out of every opponent.
Obviously, Wofford has an inferiority complex. Despite some recent mild success against us, in their mimnds, they are still our little brother, hoping one day to be just like us. They have a long way to go, IMHO.
Paladin82, QCGlue liked this
 #9282  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 pm
Since Wofford went to Division 1 they lead the series 23-19.
Their first 12 seasons FU led 14-10.
The next 7 seasons we were 2-12 against them.
The last 3 seasons 3-4 against them with one to play.
So the last 10 seasons we are 5-16 against them
Just goes to show how bad we were from 08-15.
The above does not include tournament games.
Edit: Odd but WC/FU have met only one time in the tourney in 20+ years. The one five years ago in the finals.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #9283  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm
Thanks for trying Dungeon Realm, but you have not made me feel better. According to you, we “became good” 5 years ago. 2014? 2013? The years you cite, we are merely splitting games, so as I felt, we have not been >50% vs them. We should be >50% vs them. You cite the overall historical record vs them. What is the record vs them if we omit all those years when they were not D1? What is the overall record last 10 years against them? How many times have they been to NCAA since 2009 ? (4 times in the 9 seasons since 2009). How many times have we been to NCAA since 1980? (0 times in the 38 seasons since 1980)

We all know about the years they made the tourney, and we all know about Furman's nearly 25 years of basketball incompetence, those days are well behind us, we are beyond that now and starting in 2015-2016 Furman has been the better program, the tide has turned :!:
Flagman liked this
 #9286  by tya1
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 pm
Wofford's success in the SoCon was triggered by a bad decision by Furman. Mike Young is a good coach, but he never had a winning season in D1 at Wofford as an assistant or head coach until Noah Dahlman and Dahlman's Minnesota AAU buddies fell into his lap after Larry Davis left for Cincinnati. Furman interviewed but passed on Nico Medved as the replacement head coach. I don't think JJ was interested in Dahlman and he ended up at Wofford. Several of Dahlman's AAU teammates followed him. Wofford won two SoCon tourneys with that group and Dahlman was twice tournament MVP and finished as Wofford's all time scoring leader in D1 with over 2000 points. Those two championships and NCAA appearances have been leveraged well by the Terriers. We should also remember that Eric Garcia was a star on their next two NCAA teams, and Garcia only ended up at Wofford because Nico Medved recommended him to Mike Young when Medved was an assistant at Colorado State.
 #9289  by gman
 Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 am
Flagman wrote:
Does The Citadel still have a sports program?
Jasper, Flagman, QCGlue and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.