• Spring Practice

#9242  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:47 pm
Anyone know the dates? I know CCH likes to have it early and over with by spring break. Spring break starts March 2nd. Didn't SP start last year the first week of Feb?
 #9269  by Flagman
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm
He stated on National Signing Day that it would be complete prior to spring break.
apaladin liked this
 #9305  by Jasper
 Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm
Rupert6501 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am
Practice starts this Friday and Spring game is 2/23.
According to one of the players I spoke with last week, they will be practicing very early in the AM during the week - likely at 6AM or so. I guess that would necessitate the use of the stadium for lights. Saturday practice will likely be at 9 or 10 AM though.
 #9376  by JohnW
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 am
Just read the article posted online announcing spring practice. Mentioned roster of 73 including the three early enrolled players. There are currently 79 players listed on the roster. Either a mistake or there are more guys leaving. Already the roster is two short of what was there last Friday. I haven't identified the missing players, but regardless of that, if six more are gone it cannot help but include impact players. Hoping this is a mistake.
 #9379  by Sand1efan
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am
I counted 3 in the new roster that are missing: Dion Sanders, Grant Sayler, Grayson Lemon. According to this board, many more new guys are coming including the PWO's. Early spring practice will be interesting.
 #9380  by AstroDin
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
Here's what I've been told — The released spring roster of 73 in the release does not include the six additional signees who won’t be here until Late summer. We haven’t lost six players this week. The 73 are guys who are here now, including the three early admits.

Carry on…
 #9384  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Mentioned before by others, but having all 5 starting lineman returning is absolutely huge. Will hopefully help whichever guy at QB ends up starting feel more comfortable and also help open holes for all our talented RBs. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's team and it's ability to compete in the SoCon and return to the playoffs.
 #9385  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mentioned before by others, but having all 5 starting lineman returning is absolutely huge. Will hopefully help whichever guy at QB ends up starting feel more comfortable and also help open holes for all our talented RBs. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's team and it's ability to compete in the SoCon and return to the playoffs.
The absolute best thing for a young QB is an experienced offensive line and a strong running game. Furman is going to have both.
furman88 liked this
 #9388  by DeepPurple
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 pm
Those young QBs have some valuable experience under their belt. I believe we will see great strides with them this year. I think our OL will start looking like the bunch we knew we would eventually have with CCH.
Last edited by DeepPurple on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #9393  by paladinduece
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The absolute best thing for a young QB is an experienced offensive line and a strong running game. Furman is going to have both.
Oline looks to be a real anchor for this program over the next few years with talent, youth, and developing depth.
DeepPurple liked this
 #9394  by JohnW
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm
Saylor and Lemon are gone, so is Braylin Fisher. The additional six are the rest of the early signees. So not a spring roster, but a very early fall or summer roster. I'm relieved.
 #9399  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Those young QBs have some valuable experience under the belt. I believe we will see great strides with them this year. I think our OL will start looking like the bunch we knew we would eventually have with CCH.
And those two QBs will get 99.9 percent of the snaps in the spring and fall practices. They should be more than ready to go when Aug. 31 hits. While Grainger made plenty of mistakes, I think we are forgetting how unbelievable some of his passes were last year. He has a great arm. One play I'm thinking of was a beautiful pass for a TD against Samford before the wheels fell off.
 #9440  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Those young QBs have some valuable experience under the belt. I believe we will see great strides with them this year. I think our OL will start looking like the bunch we knew we would eventually have with CCH.
Slight correction, Grainger has some experience. Sisson, virtually none. Talking about game experience. I know CCH has his reasons but I feel for the players and coaches practicing in 20 something degree weather at 6AM Just don't see how those conditions are conducive for learning and getting things accomplished. It supposed to be even colder next week.
 #9446  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 pm
I’d speculate it’s to ensure 100% participation with class and lab scheduling conflicts...
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.