• A matter of perspective...

#9131  by fufanatic
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm
As long as we are winning and giving ourselves a legit shot at the SoCon title and NCAA berth, I literally couldn't care less about who we play. Whether we are 25-5 with wins over North Greenville, Bob Jones, etc., or 15-12 with losses to Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina, all that matters are those few days in March and getting to that dang big dance. Never seen the Paladins there in my lifetime.
I would rather enjoy the journey and not just the couple of days in March that have been disappointing for 38 years in a row. Many one day one and done 's in that 38 years. I think it is safe to say we enjoyed the 12-0 start and top 25 ranking a lot more than we will the SoCon tourney. Hoping we break the curse though.
Fair point. It has been really fun this year, but my negative side already wonders how much it will hurt if we don't win the SoCon Tourney after starting out 12-0, beating Nova and being ranked? I love pulling for a mid-major, I think it's a unique situation to know only one team gets in from your league, but I'm sure it's also fun to be a fan of a big time team like Syracuse, who has had several disappointing regular seasons recently, only to make a run to Sweet 16 or Elite 8 in the tourney and wash all those negative feelings away.
 #9135  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm
At our level, even though the SoCon is MUCH improved since the days Davidson, C of C, Ga Southern, Elon and App St dragged us down (I’m not kidding, do the research)....winning the SoCon Tourney is just gravy.

Going on record to say I’d rather beat Clemson in the NIT than lose to “Wisconsin or Florida” in the NCAAs.

Having said THAT, of course being a Cinderella and win an NCAA tourney game is my wet dream.
apaladin liked this
 #9141  by fufanatic
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm
Going on record to say I’d rather beat Clemson in the NIT than lose to “Wisconsin or Florida” in the NCAAs.

Having said THAT, of course being a Cinderella and win an NCAA tourney game is my wet dream.
That's an interesting conversation to have. I wouldn't trade an NCAA berth and loss for just one win in the NIT - even if it was Clemson - but I would trade an NCAA berth and first round loss for a trip to Madison Square Garden and the NIT semis. Still think you get more coverage in a one and done NCAA format, but getting 4-5 games on national TV in the NIT would be huge.
 #9237  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Perspective after Wofford loss 1/19:
15-4 overal = .789
4-3 conf = .571
3-4 since Dec 21 = .428
11 games to go reg season
6-5 in those 11 would put us 21-9 before conf tournament and before any sort of post-season tourney if we should be so fortunate to be able to play in one.
21-9 = .700
Hopefully we will be at or above that percentage after this season ends, including after whatever post-regular season win(s) and loss (-es) we end up with.
“ .700 or above “ is good.
(By the way ... .700 on our 10 free throw attempts tonight. That is about our average for all games overall so far this year. It puts us in about the middle of all teams on that stat. Not bad. Hopefully we continue to push it up.)
 #9243  by tya1
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm
Lyons hits 1-9 from three point range, Gurley and Mounce combine for 2-16 from the floor, the whole team goes 1-13 in the second half from three point range in the second half and yet the game comes down to a one possession game in the last 20 seconds. I would have accepted a tie game with 20 seconds to go before the game. Just need to get the jitters out for the young guys before we head into the second half of the conference race.

Chattanooga has moved into 4th in the SoCon after tonight. They still have to play Furman and Wofford though and both games on the road to finish up the first half of the conference schedule.

The result was disappointing but the effort and intensity were great and I'm excited to see how we respond the rest of the way.
 #9244  by edwards555
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 pm
We lost 3 road games to the three power teams in front of us, now they must come to Timmons. Favorable schedule to do some damage. This one was a tough loss.
FU03times liked this
 #9249  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 am
11 games left:
5 road-Citadel, Mercer, Chattanooga, Samford and WCU
6 home- UTC, Samford, ETSU, UNCG, Wofford and VMI.
If we can go 3-2 on the road and 4-2 at home, that would leave us at 22-8 and 11-7 in the league. Hopefully that will be good enough for 4th or 5th. Finishing 4th or 5th is a must if we have any chance of winning the tournament. If not chances are we would have to beat the big 3 back to back to back.
 #9253  by Paul C
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 am
I’ve been sayin 12-6 in the SoCon would be a solid year since before the season. Everyone’s expectations got inflated in Nov/Dec but still think 12-6 is about right with a chance at 13-5 if we can win 2 of the big 3 at home and only stub our toe once. 11-7 as AP posits above would be ok and anything less a disappointment.

Still much better then the Nancies predicted after losing what we did in the offseason.
Jasper liked this
 #9255  by Jasper
 Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:22 am
Paul C wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 am
I’ve been sayin 12-6 in the SoCon would be a solid year since before the season. Everyone’s expectations got inflated in Nov/Dec but still think 12-6 is about right with a chance at 13-5 if we can win 2 of the big 3 at home and only stub our toe once. 11-7 as AP posits above would be ok and anything less a disappointment.

Still much better then the Nancies predicted after losing what we did in the offseason.
I couldn't agree more. Very realistic assessment.
 #9533  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Perspective after Wofford loss 1/19:
15-4 overal = .789
4-3 conf = .571
3-4 since Dec 21 = .428
11 games to go reg season
6-5 in those 11 would put us 21-9 before conf tournament and before any sort of post-season tourney if we should be so fortunate to be able to play in one.
21-9 = .700
Hopefully we will be at or above that percentage after this season ends, including after whatever post-regular season win(s) and loss (-es) we end up with.
“ .700 or above “ is good.
(By the way ... .700 on our 10 free throw attempts tonight. That is about our average for all games overall so far this year. It puts us in about the middle of all teams on that stat. Not bad. Hopefully we continue to push it up.)
What I wrote 1 week ago is still true. We can win 5 of next 9. Hopefully also can win 2 in conference tourney. Good year.
I am not saying that it is going to be easy for us to win 5 of next 9, nor to win 2 in tourney. Just saying and hoping we can and that it will be good. We are not the Southern Conference juggernaut Wofford, but we should do the best we can to try to compete against Wofford and all others.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.