• A matter of perspective...

#9084  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 am
dinhead wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:29 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm
dinhead you're not playing with a full deck if you discount Furman's big wins.
Nobody's discounting the great win over Loyola that was the catalyst for one of Furman's best wins ever in Villanova and Gardner-Webb is certainly a decent win. The fact is these are the only wins against teams with a winning record. Who's Furman's 4th best win 6-7 Citadel, 6-11 UNCW ?

3-3 against teams with a winning record. 12-0 against teams with a losing record. That's the full deck of wins. An ACE, a Jack, an Eight , a couple Jokers (Bob Jones University, Southern Wesleyan, North Greenville) and a whole lot of deuces.
Again, you are just looking at Furman...Trying comparing other teams in this league against teams with winning records...Wofford played Coppin State...One of the worst teams in Division I basketball...Coastal has a losing record...SC is one game over .500...UNCA who Furman played, has not won a Division I game...High Point is one game over .500...I mean it's dumb to compare because everyone has played some weak sisters.
 #9088  by Fessor
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 am
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am
https://woffordterriers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Go check the link and get on them like you get on Furman.

Why would I contact Wofford? They're not asking me to buy full price tickets to games against Bob Jones, North Greenville, Taylors First Baptist Mens 8 PM Bible Study, et al. as part of a season ticket package.

While we're on the topic: Wofford has played UNC, Ga Tech, Univ. of SC, and Harvard at Wofford in the last two seasons and Texas Tech, Cal, Kansas, Miss State, UNC, Univ. of SC, Oklahoma on the road.

Bottom line: you're either satisfied by inflating the W-L with pushovers, or you're not. I'm not, for multiplicity of reasons.
Jasper liked this
 #9093  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm
As long as we are winning and giving ourselves a legit shot at the SoCon title and NCAA berth, I literally couldn't care less about who we play. Whether we are 25-5 with wins over North Greenville, Bob Jones, etc., or 15-12 with losses to Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina, all that matters are those few days in March and getting to that dang big dance. Never seen the Paladins there in my lifetime.
 #9094  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 pm
When assessing our season to this point all that needs to be said is “We are 15-3 with wins over 2 of last years Final Four teams, on the road, including the defending national champions.”

Anything more is trying to hard.
fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #9107  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm
Fessor wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 am
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am
https://woffordterriers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Go check the link and get on them like you get on Furman.

Why would I contact Wofford? They're not asking me to buy full price tickets to games against Bob Jones, North Greenville, Taylors First Baptist Mens 8 PM Bible Study, et al. as part of a season ticket package.

While we're on the topic: Wofford has played UNC, Ga Tech, Univ. of SC, and Harvard at Wofford in the last two seasons and Texas Tech, Cal, Kansas, Miss State, UNC, Univ. of SC, Oklahoma on the road.

Bottom line: you're either satisfied by inflating the W-L with pushovers, or you're not. I'm not, for multiplicity of reasons.
Fessor is correct.
 #9108  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm
Affirm just stop...you are arguing to argue...If you really think the program hasn't progressed then you aren't very bright...You're the same person that thinks FU should play non-scholarship football...I am pretty sure you didn't go to Furman with that logic.
I will say after the season whether or not I think it has progressed to the extent which a majority of the posters on here seem to want to believe (even while at the same time a majority of posters still write plenty pointing out Furman’s significant weaknesses in almost every game, even versus the weak opponents; so why don’t you tell THEM to stop THAT ??!!).
 #9109  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 pm
Correct losing on the road 3 times to 13-3 LSU, 15-4 ETSU, 15-3 UNCG is no cause for concern, we have won 12 straight home games and I feel we will continue to protect our home court well the rest of this season
dornb liked this
 #9110  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm
Affirm you and Fessor can watch together on the couch and throw popcorn at the TV for every success Furman has...Why the heck even post here.
 #9112  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
As long as we are winning and giving ourselves a legit shot at the SoCon title and NCAA berth, I literally couldn't care less about who we play. Whether we are 25-5 with wins over North Greenville, Bob Jones, etc., or 15-12 with losses to Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina, all that matters are those few days in March and getting to that dang big dance. Never seen the Paladins there in my lifetime.
I would rather enjoy the journey and not just the couple of days in March that have been disappointing for 38 years in a row. Many one day one and done 's in that 38 years. I think it is safe to say we enjoyed the 12-0 start and top 25 ranking a lot more than we will the SoCon tourney. Hoping we break the curse though.
 #9116  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 pm
fufanatic wrote:
all that matters are those few days in March and getting to that dang big dance. Never seen the Paladins there in my lifetime.
Even for those of us that remember going in the 70's it's like we have never been as it was totally different back then. I remember up until the final 4, games were offered only locally and you had to hope that a local station would pick up your game. Certainly nowhere close to the media spectacle it is today. So in a way we are all waiting to go for the first time if that makes you feel any better, LOL.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #9130  by GOAT
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 am
affirm wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm
Affirm just stop...you are arguing to argue...If you really think the program hasn't progressed then you aren't very bright...You're the same person that thinks FU should play non-scholarship football...I am pretty sure you didn't go to Furman with that logic.
I will say after the season whether or not I think it has progressed to the extent which a majority of the posters on here seem to want to believe (even while at the same time a majority of posters still write plenty pointing out Furman’s significant weaknesses in almost every game, even versus the weak opponents; so why don’t you tell THEM to stop THAT ??!!).
STOP THAT.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.