• A matter of perspective...

#9064  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm
dinhead you're not playing with a full deck if you discount Furman's big wins.
soconjohn, you may be playing with "an improperly over-filled deck" if you inflate the value of Furman's wins against the teams on the schedule making up the majority of the OOC schedule which are a combined 25-103 to date per his listing and not counting the records of BJU, Southern Wesleyan, and NGU.
 #9065  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:30 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm
I didn't see Gardner-Webb, Nova or Loyola on there...figures...We can all look at things differently...Wofford's best non-conference wins were over SC and High Point...come on dude!
Wofford's win over SC is looking more impressive at this point.

Our Villanova win keeps looking better and better as well, they are top 20 again
 #9066  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Great to have beaten Villanova and Loyola Chicago. Great. And great to have been in the top 25. But I will withhold my assessment of how much better our program is, in comparison to other seasons in the past 38 years, until the season is further along.
Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #9068  by soconjohn
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm
Affirm just stop...you are arguing to argue...If you really think the program hasn't progressed then you aren't very bright...You're the same person that thinks FU should play non-scholarship football...I am pretty sure you didn't go to Furman with that logic.
PaladinPower liked this
 #9071  by dinhead
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am
Clark is FU's best defender and there is not much of a debate...Hunter maybe...But what I have seen of Clark, he's a lot alike Daniel Fowler as a defender and maybe a hair quicker!!!
Too bad Clark doesn't start. Don't see either of our 5-11 guards matching up with one of the best shooters in the country who happens to be half a foot taller than them. Clark should start ahead of Lyons.
 #9072  by dinhead
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 pm
soconjohn wrote:
I didn't see Gardner-Webb, Nova or Loyola on there...figures...We can all look at things differently...Wofford's best non-conference wins were over SC and High Point...come on dude!
South Carolina just beat #14 Mississippi State and is 3-0 in the SEC. Wofford beat them by 20. They're 6-0 in conference play with a 17 point win over ETSU and a 29 point win over UNCG.

Tremendous win over Villanova. One of the best Furman wins ever. They're a legitimate top 20 team. Lpyola is 9-7, Gardner-Webb is 8-6.
 #9073  by Flagman
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 pm
I'm guessing there's always a cloud over your head.
 #9075  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 pm
dinhead wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
South Carolina just beat #14 Mississippi State and is 3-0 in the SEC. Wofford beat them by 20. They're 6-0 in conference play with a 17 point win over ETSU and a 29 point win over UNCG.

Tremendous win over Villanova. One of the best Furman wins ever. They're a legitimate top 20 team. Lpyola is 9-7, Gardner-Webb is 8-6.

Loyola has a 10-7 D-1 record, first place in the MVC and according to sagarin rating after their blowout win tonight vs. Valpo they will be the second best OOC win the SoCon has, with the first being by far our Nova win, so the 2 best wins OOC for the SoCon belong to Furman
 #9076  by dinhead
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 pm
dinhead wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

Loyola has a 10-7 D-1 record, first place in the MVC and according to sagarin rating after their blowout win tonight vs. Valpo they will be the second best OOC win the SoCon has, with the first being by far our Nova win, so the 2 best wins OOC for the SoCon belong to Furman
Absolutely right. Best two OOC wins in the SoCon and certainly a decent win against Gardner-Webb but it's grossly unfair to compare Furman teams past and present just on the basis of wins and losses when there's been a conscious effort to downgrade the non-conference schedule with as many cheap wins as possible.
Fessor liked this
 #9077  by dinhead
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:29 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm
dinhead you're not playing with a full deck if you discount Furman's big wins.
Nobody's discounting the great win over Loyola that was the catalyst for one of Furman's best wins ever in Villanova and Gardner-Webb is certainly a decent win. The fact is these are the only wins against teams with a winning record. Who's Furman's 4th best win 6-7 Citadel, 6-11 UNCW ?

3-3 against teams with a winning record. 12-0 against teams with a losing record. That's the full deck of wins. An ACE, a Jack, an Eight , a couple Jokers (Bob Jones University, Southern Wesleyan, North Greenville) and a whole lot of deuces.
Fessor liked this
 #9078  by FU03times
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am
I don’t know about y’all and y’all’s records...but I’m just glad I get to see some fun and good basketball. That’s why I started following and supporting the dins, and no record, winning or losing, shall change that for as long as we stay true to our selfless and tough style. And a reminder that the last time we made it to the socon tournament final, we had the worst record in the conference, entering as the 10 seed. No coaches care about our record and all of them are actively trying to get us better opponents. As BR said, playing some of these DII schools was part of the deal for playing the higher ranked conference schools. If you know a better way to get us a better schedule, go ahead and spill the beans now. A lot of these games are scheduled way in advance, when a team might have a much better record than what they end up having when we play them, or for the season after we play them. For once, instead of complaining and literally never being satisfied, let’s just trust the ones in charge, sit back, and enjoy the program they have developed for us and the school.
MNORM, FUKA61, underjack and 3 others liked this
 #9079  by CharlieFU
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 am
Thank you FUo3Times! That was my point!

Winning 20+ games vs winning 9 or 10 games? Can’t we appreciate where we are compared to all that losing? Or are you people telling me these teams are no better than all those losers? That’s BS.
FU03times, MNORM, FUKA61 liked this
 #9082  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am
FU03 is right...it's an exciting brand...Let's not get caught up in who they have played and try and look for reasons that Furman's record is somehow bolstered by weak wins...Everyone in the SoCon has weak wins so it's stupid to do.
 #9083  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am
dinhead wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am
Clark is FU's best defender and there is not much of a debate...Hunter maybe...But what I have seen of Clark, he's a lot alike Daniel Fowler as a defender and maybe a hair quicker!!!
Too bad Clark doesn't start. Don't see either of our 5-11 guards matching up with one of the best shooters in the country who happens to be half a foot taller than them. Clark should start ahead of Lyons.
I don't know if he should start ahead of Lyons, but he is going to earn a lot more PT with how he is playing on the defensive end...Did a masterful job against The Citadel's Lew Stallworth.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.