• 2019 Schdeule

#9000  by Flagman
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Not going to reveal my source but heard that Davidson told us “no way, no how, and never” would they agree to play us.
Fine.
My first exposure to Davidson was 1969, my freshman year. Result: Davidson 77, Furman 14. We returned the favor in later years. I understand their reluctance to play us.
 #9001  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Not going to reveal my source but heard that Davidson told us “no way, no how, and never” would they agree to play us.
I used to work with someone who would say, "there aren't many problems that cash can't solve."
 #9002  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm
Even if true, if Mercer opts to pay teams more than the going rate, not much Furman can do about that.

Mercer does seem to have a pretty long continuing relationship with their former A-Sun/Pioneer league opponents. Since the Bears restarted football in 2013, Stetson, Jacksonville, or Campbell has shown up on the schedule every season but 2016. All three were in the Pioneer in 2013 for fooball, but had a long run in the A-Sun together.

I'm not going to dig in too deeply, but other than Mercer, Pioneer teams don't pop up on SoCon schedules all that often. Davidson played at WCU last season. Other than that game, I cannot think of another SoCon/Pioneer league contest in recent memory other than with Mercer. I could be overlooking them.

Just my opinion, but I would think SoCon teams would like to schedule Pioneer teams if they could -- the games would be likely home wins that count as a D1 victory despite the lack of scholarship players on the opposing sideline. If I were an AD at a Pioneer school, knowing that the geographically large conference already creates a lot of travel and the attractiveness to an FCS opponent, I'd probably ask for a lot of money too.
Stetson played @ Mercer in 2014 & 2015. Jacksonville played @ Mercer in 2017 & 2018. Paladin Stadium is about 4 Total Travel Hours further for JaxU & Stetson than is Five Star Stadium in Macon. Both those Teams & Davidson have played Home & Away games vs. FCS non-PFL Teams, other than Mercer in recent years, including a total of 3 other SoCon Teams...

DAVIDSON @ VMI
Team 1 2 3 4 F
DAV 0 3 14 7 24
VMI 14 10 21 7 52
DATE: 9/13/2014 SITE: Lexington, Va.

DAVIDSON @ THE CITADEL
Team 1 2 3 4 F
DAV 0 0 0 0 0
CIT 21 14 20 14 69
DATE: 9/5/2015 SITE: Charleston, S.C.

DAVIDSON @ WESTERN CAROLINA
Team 1 2 3 4 F
DAV 0 14 0 3 17
WCU 28 21 7 7 63
DATE: 9/9/2017 SITE: Cullowhee, N.C.

DARTMOUTH @ STETSON
Team 1 2 3 4 F
DART 0 10 21 7 38
STET 0 7 0 0 7
DATE: 9/16/2017 SITE: Deland, Fla.

BROWN @ STETSON
Team 1 2 3 4 F
BRWN 0 7 0 6 13
STET 3 7 7 0 17
DATE: 10/7/2017 SITE: DeLand, Fla.

SACRED HEART @ STETSON
Team 1 2 3 4 F
SHU 6 0 6 6 18
STET 7 7 0 0 14
DATE: 9/3/2016 SITE: DeLand, Fla.

STETSON @ BROWN
Team 1 2 3 4 F
STET 14 7 3 7 31
BRWN 21 0 0 0 21
DATE: 10/8/2016 SITE: Providence, R.I.

SAT SEP 10, 2016
Jacksonville @ Liberty FINAL L, 55-7

FRI SEP 04, 2015
Jacksonville @ Delaware FINAL W, 20-14

SAT AUG 30, 2014
Jacksonville @ Southeastern Louisiana FINAL L, 44-3

SAT SEP 20, 2014
Penn @ Jacksonville FINAL W, 34-31

THU AUG 29, 2013
Jacksonville @ Delaware FINAL L, 51-35

SAT SEP 07, 2013
Jacksonville @ Jacksonville St. FINAL L, 48-13
 #9004  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:56 pm
Well, I was referencing SoCon/Pioneer matchups, so I think that reinforces the point. Those games do not happen frequently.

Jacksonville and Stetson also travel much further than SoCon programs to play other FCS scholarship programs. So, yes, Macon is closer than Greenville, but not closer than Delaware, Sacred Heart, etc.

I have no idea whether the point regarding Mercer's payouts is accurate, I'm just noting that two Pioneer schools in Florida, who travel to play other further away programs, don't seem to schedule any SoCon teams but Mercer.
 #9006  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Well, I was referencing SoCon/Pioneer matchups, so I think that reinforces the point. Those games do not happen frequently.

Jacksonville and Stetson also travel much further than SoCon programs to play other FCS scholarship programs. So, yes, Macon is closer than Greenville, but not closer than Delaware, Sacred Heart, etc.

I have no idea whether the point regarding Mercer's payouts is accurate, I'm just noting that two Pioneer schools in Florida, who travel to play other further away programs, don't seem to schedule any SoCon teams but Mercer.
I don’t (necessarily) have a point to make, but it seems to me that the 3, actually 4, because Campbell did when they were in the PFL, Southeastern PFL Teams have traveled near & far, to other FCS non-Conference schools (SoCon, Big South, CAA, Southland, NEC, and Ivy) & they have even had Ivy & NEC schools come to them. I’m sure the AD’s & Head Football Coaches at all of these other schools that have, in recent years, found a way to come to terms and arrange OOC games with these 4 PFL Teams are not all stupid. And I doubt they all bankrupted their Athletics Departments to schedule these games.

To ‘point a finger’ at 1 Team as the ‘villain’ keeping Furman from being able to get a game scheduled with Davidson, Jacksonville, Stetson, Campbell, or even Morehead State (which is closer to FU than Stetson or JaxU AND has played OVC, CAA, and SoCon Teams in recent years) when, obviously, other schools HAVE been able to make these games happen, seems just a bit implausible, doesn’t it?
 #9008  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:50 am
Hang in. I THINK a game twelve is coming. Maybe not FCS but that's ok. Just get a game.

Even if we don't make playoffs it's good to have 12 games just for reps.

Will be tough to make playoffs w redshirt Freshman QB. Grainger was impressive but man we HAVE TO OPEN the playbook for him. To easy to defend when there aren't many plays to worry about. I just watched a TRUE FRESHMAN lead Clemson to a NATTY. He was reading all the defenses Bama could throw at him. At FCS level Cheek was doing very well at Elon in 2017 as a true freshman. Gotta work on ball security too !!!

Hate to say 'next year' but I could see things coming together in 2020 w QB and OL maturity etc
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #9009  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 am
Had not realized this, but Virginia Tech does not exactly look like a world beater.

The Hokies beat only two teams ranked in the top 25 - one of which was vastly overrated Florida State. The head coach has seen his record get worse each of his first three seasons in Blacksburg.

Our last visit to VT ten years ago against what appeared to be a much better Hokie team ended up fairly respectable. 3-0 at half time, if I recall. Couldn't do much against their defense, but hung around for four quarters.
 #9010  by din23
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 am
Had not realized this, but Virginia Tech does not exactly look like a world beater.

The Hokies beat only two teams ranked in the top 25 - one of which was vastly overrated Florida State. The head coach has seen his record get worse each of his first three seasons in Blacksburg.

Our last visit to VT ten years ago against what appeared to be a much better Hokie team ended up fairly respectable. 3-0 at half time, if I recall. Couldn't do much against their defense, but hung around for four quarters.
The 2008 game was 3-0 at halftime, and I believe we had a long Adam Mims TD called back due to a penalty. The final was 24-7. But the last game (2015) wasn't as close. 14-0 at halftime turned into a 42-3 blowout.
 #9017  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I don’t (necessarily) have a point to make, but it seems to me that the 3, actually 4, because Campbell did when they were in the PFL, Southeastern PFL Teams have traveled near & far, to other FCS non-Conference schools (SoCon, Big South, CAA, Southland, NEC, and Ivy) & they have even had Ivy & NEC schools come to them. I’m sure the AD’s & Head Football Coaches at all of these other schools that have, in recent years, found a way to come to terms and arrange OOC games with these 4 PFL Teams are not all stupid. And I doubt they all bankrupted their Athletics Departments to schedule these games.

To ‘point a finger’ at 1 Team as the ‘villain’ keeping Furman from being able to get a game scheduled with Davidson, Jacksonville, Stetson, Campbell, or even Morehead State (which is closer to FU than Stetson or JaxU AND has played OVC, CAA, and SoCon Teams in recent years) when, obviously, other schools HAVE been able to make these games happen, seems just a bit implausible, doesn’t it?
Yes. Thank you FUBeAR. We like to point a finger, blame others, and it is often inappropriate. This may not be your point (you did not necessarily have one to make, you said), not sure; but I want to say that I do not buy the idea that we cannot or should not get a game with PFL team. I do not necessarily mean this in regard to just 2019, but any other future year.
FUBeAR liked this
 #9019  by Flagman
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm
My source tells me that we are close, very close.
apaladin, FUBeAR, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #9043  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:08 pm
Teams and conferences are releasing their schedules every day now. Eastern Kentucky was one that released their schedule today which is 12 games, 1 FBS, 11 FCS including a game at PC.
 #9138  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 pm
Heard we are close to a 12th game and all signs point to a lower level team (not FCS).....

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.