• Coaches Pick Furman Second

#88726  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:48 pm
I suspect the second slot was neither surprising nor unsurprising. Some are docking Furman because they lost a lot of guys off last year's team.

Coach Hendrix addressed some of the concerns during the media availability. He noted Furman's program is built on recruiting, depth, and development. The team is built to rely on older players. Some of those guys did not see playing time last year due only to having a deep roster in front of them. They were ready to play.

I go back to the same question - who is clearly better than Furman right now?

The only team selected ahead of Furman this preseason was UTC - a team Furman beat twice last year.
 #88732  by 'Din Djarin
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:02 am
I both love and hate that Furman was picked 2nd

Hate - There isn't a team in the 2024 SoCon that scares me as a Furman fan. We have our 3 toughest games (based on last year's results) at home (UTC, Samford, WCU), and of those 3 only UTC gives me pause. Frankly, after beating them on the road and then thoroughly CrockPotting them in the playoffs, I have respect but zero fear for the Mocs. WCU lost their head coach and a lot of their offensive talent, and I feel confident that Furman can handle them and Samford at home. Mercer on the road is dodgy, but no more Drew Cronic? I feel a lot less threatened by the Bears.

Love - Hopefully the team not only uses this as motivation but it also means we don't start the season with a huge target on our back. Furman definitely lost a lot of starting experience but the team was already so deep and the folks filling in have a lot of game experience. I think Carson Jones has tremendous upside and I expect he will be QB1.
 #88737  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:42 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:02 am
I both love and hate that Furman was picked 2nd

Hate - There isn't a team in the 2024 SoCon that scares me as a Furman fan. We have our 3 toughest games (based on last year's results) at home (UTC, Samford, WCU), and of those 3 only UTC gives me pause. Frankly, after beating them on the road and then thoroughly CrockPotting them in the playoffs, I have respect but zero fear for the Mocs. WCU lost their head coach and a lot of their offensive talent, and I feel confident that Furman can handle them and Samford at home. Mercer on the road is dodgy, but no more Drew Cronic? I feel a lot less threatened by the Bears.

Love - Hopefully the team not only uses this as motivation but it also means we don't start the season with a huge target on our back. Furman definitely lost a lot of starting experience but the team was already so deep and the folks filling in have a lot of game experience. I think Carson Jones has tremendous upside and I expect he will be QB1.
Assuming you are referencing only score differentials vs. Furman when you mention “last year’s results” instead of how the Teams finished in the SoCon, national rankings, and/or Playoff participation and success.

On all 3 of those metrics, Mercer was at the least on par with, if not ahead of, UTC, Samford, and WCU.

https://soconsports.com/fb/standings/
2023 Season
Furman 7-1 .875 10-3 .769
Mercer 6-2 .750 9-4 .692
Chattanooga 6-2 .750 8-5 .615
Western Carolina 5-3 .625 7-4 .636
Samford 4-4 .500 6-5 .545
VMI 4-4 .500 5-6 .455
ETSU 2-6 .250 3-8 .273
Wofford 2-6 .250 2-9 .182
The Citadel 0-8 .000 0-11 .000

If you ARE referencing only score differentials from “last year’s results,” then, shouldn’t Wofford be cited as one of the “toughest games” that we do, also, have at home in 2024? #ConsistencyMatters

Also, WCU lost their OC, Kade Bell to Pittsburgh, not Papa Kerwin Bell. OC Bell took their top RB and a top WR to the Panthers with him.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #88738  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:08 pm
My general read of the room is that Furman is still the program the rest of the conference is chasing right now.

I feel comfortable in saying that Furman is going to consistently turn out a quality defensive football team. Furman has been the top or among the top defenses in the conference for years now. I do not really see any reason why that would stop this year.

My guess is the teams Furman needs to be on high alert for are the solid defensive teams that can force Furman to play an ugly football game, particularly on the road.

While our potentially toughest opponents are coming to Greenville, we do have to play some generally good defensive football teams on the road this season (The Citadel, Mercer, VMI, ETSU). Even if out-manned, those are the type of teams - like Wofford did last year - that can potentially force Furman out of their game plan to see who can win a rock fight.
FUBeAR, din23, Choir Boy liked this
 #88740  by Davemeister
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:41 pm
The SoCon coaches take a poll every year. Sometimes they get it right, other times wrong. It's only rock & roll.

Personally I think they did us a favor. I would rather see the Paladins enter Conference play with a chip on their shoulder than go in thinking they are King S#*t.
Choir Boy liked this
 #88745  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:58 pm
Watched the interview with CCH. Let’s just say he was not bubbling over with confidence. :lol:
 #88748  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
I suspect the second slot was neither surprising nor unsurprising. Some are docking Furman because they lost a lot of guys off last year's team.

Coach Hendrix addressed some of the concerns during the media availability. He noted Furman's program is built on recruiting, depth, and development. The team is built to rely on older players. Some of those guys did not see playing time last year due only to having a deep roster in front of them. They were ready to play.

The only team selected ahead of Furman this preseason was UTC - a team Furman beat twice last year.
Again, close win the first time. Second time no Person, at least once no Quay Wiggles. No star DB. etc. They were beat up. It showed. Just like an injured Huff and Roberto rendered us a different team vs dammmm Wofford - especially in 63 scholarships FCS injuries matter a lot

This time they have Wiggles etc for now. Glad UTC is at home. That Chatt game could be a big one.

Anyway. Too early to know a ton. Other than tiers

I’d say. Furman, UTC, Samford (? Hope they are bad)…. then Mercer (new coach), Western, ETSU… Wofford ( better this year), Citadel, VMI
 #88749  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:07 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:06 am
The Jackal wrote:

Again, close UTC win the first time. Second time no Person, at least once no Quay Wiggles. No star DB. etc. They were beat up. It showed. Just like an injured Huff and Roberto rendered us a different team vs dammmm Wofford - especially in 63 scholarships FCS injuries matter a lot

This time they have Wiggles etc for now. Glad UTC is at home. That Chatt game could be a big one.

Anyway. Too early to know a ton. Other than tiers

I’d say. Furman, UTC, Samford (? Hope they are bad)….
then Mercer (new coach), Western, ETSU…
Wofford ( better this year), Citadel, VMI
 #88750  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:58 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:58 pm
Watched the interview with CCH. Let’s just say he was not bubbling over with confidence. :lol:
You don’t know Coach Hendrix and his manner of speaking very well. Are you trying to be funny and sarcastic again?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.