• Starting QB this upcoming season?

#88618  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:47 pm
It’s just APs way of insulting every offensive lineman on the team and the OL coach.
It was tongue in cheek. Sorry it went over everyone’s head.
 #88625  by gman84
 Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:59 am
There is a difference between a running qb/dual threat, and a mobile qb. The last two seasons we had a dual threat qb with a lot of drive, and serious straight line speed. Throwing deep with accuracy was not his strength. Our offense featured his strengths. Our offense going forward will feature our qb’s strengths. CJ is not a runner like TH. He is mobile enough to elude pressure and he can throw deep with accuracy. Let me say this for the record… Do not let the results of the Ole Miss game define this team’s season good or bad.
 #88628  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:07 pm
gman84 wrote:
There is a difference between a running qb/dual threat, and a mobile qb. The last two seasons we had a dual threat qb with a lot of drive, and serious straight line speed. Throwing deep with accuracy was not his strength. Our offense featured his strengths. Our offense going forward will feature our qb’s strengths. CJ is not a runner like TH. He is mobile enough to elude pressure and he can throw deep with accuracy. Let me say this for the record… Do not let the results of the Ole Miss game define this team’s season good or bad.

Furman's offense with Huff relied on forcing defenders to be wrong in whatever they decided to do.

There is no question, Huff was an excellent runner. However, I think some of what made him so dangerous was less a product of foot speed, and more a result of patience and his physical style. Huff was built like a fullback and he was excellent at letting his blockers get set up, waiting until the last possible moment to force a defender to commit, and then running through bad tackling.

With Jones and this group of receivers, I think we'll take more downfield shots than we've seen in years. The deep ball may have been the overall weakest part of Huff's game.
 #88630  by Davemeister
 Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:20 pm
gman84 wrote:
Let me say this for the record… Do not let the results of the Ole Miss game define this team’s season good or bad.
No worries. The Wofford game will define our season. :lol:
apaladin liked this
 #88645  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:02 pm
Davemeister wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Let me say this for the record… Do not let the results of the Ole Miss game define this team’s season good or bad.
Agree and I think the game at W&M is big in more ways than one.
 #88646  by gofurman
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:02 pm
Davemeister wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Agree and I think the game at W&M is big in more ways than one.
Yes, I am glad we get a few games in before W&M. I wish it were at home this year. If we lose that will be used against the SoCon
 #88676  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:08 pm
Yes 3 games before W&M.
Best scenario: 2-1
Worst scenario: 1-2
Ole Miss: sure loss
Stetson: likely win
CSU: Tossup.
Cool. Let’s go. $1000 even money you take CSU and I’ve got Furman. Pick ‘em

Proceeds to the Paladin Club.
 #88677  by FUTex
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:01 am
apaladin wrote:
Yes 3 games before W&M.
Oh nay nay nay

Best scenario: 3-0
Worst scenario: oh let's not dwell on the past, even if this is about predicting the future.

Ole Miss: undetermined (toe has not meant leather yet, and its not over till its over. And it will never be over. As was stated in Downfall: "We will defeat them. We will defeat them all!" And we need Madine to be hurled 80 yards. There's a lot of intangibles here.)
Stetson: don't know - the Hatters, who are known Baptists, have not had a winning team since 2019. Last year they were 3-8. Got crushed by Drake (Disciples of Christ) and Davidson (Methodists).
CSU: don't know - coming off a 4-7 season, these Baptists came a lot closer to a winning season than that stat indicates. They might be hard-shelled Baptists. We don't know. We have a lot of research to do.
 #88679  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:20 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Yes 3 games before W&M.

Well it may not be as sure of a win as one might think. CSU returns 14 starters from a team that led Clempson in the third quarter. They have added 7 D1 transfers. I learned a long time ago betting on sports is a losing proposition. :shock:
Last edited by apaladin on Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #88682  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:20 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Yes 3 games before W&M.

Well it may not be as sure of a win as one might think. CSU returns 14 starters from a team that led Clempson in the third quarter. They have added 7 D1 transfers. I learned a long time ago betting on sports is a losing proposition.
I personally look at transfers in much the same way I view free agency in professional sports. If you were already really good, you wouldn't be going to go get a lot of guys to fill a bunch of holes.

Samford brings in loads of transfers every season. Since 2015, they've eclipsed 7 wins only twice. So, it's not exactly helping them win a lot of football games.
 #88729  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:36 am
One week from today players will be on the field practicing. Let the battles for PT begin. Looking forward to seeing who wins the starting job at QB. Does Hedden have a shot?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.