• 2019 Recruiting

#5536  by JohnW
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm
FWIW. Tweet from CourtCred re: Marcus Foster commenting on his upside said he's a year younger than his peers with a chance to see an inch or two of growth. If accurate liking this better and better.
furpop16, AstroDin liked this
 #5585  by CharlieFU
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:29 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm
FWIW. Tweet from CourtCred re: Marcus Foster commenting on his upside said he's a year younger than his peers with a chance to see an inch or two of growth. If accurate liking this better and better.
Coach Richey confirmed--he is only 16. And his wing span is some ridiculous number for a man his height. So he is "long" for sure--and may grow some.
 #8809  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Noticed a couple of tweets on Jan 4 and 5 regarding a G from Atlanta. Looks like he has offers from Tulane and JMU

Jan 5th

"@OntheRadarHoops Furman will be in tonight to see available guard Hunter McIntosh @callmehunt_ of GACS (GA) @CoachCBWilliams"

Jan 4th

"@OntheRadarHoops Hunter McIntosh is a smooth straight line driver & slasher. He is also a good three-pointers off the catch when his feet are set. McIntosh finished with 27 points last night in front of an assistant from Furman

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsrepo ... an-4-2019/"
 #8814  by PaladinPower
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm
Enough guards!! We are stock full of them. Once Rafferty leaves, we will be left with Jalen Williams (doubt his PT will go up THAT much), Noah Gurley and Clay Mounce as our tallest guys. Jalen Slawson has some potential, but he seems more of a bigl 3 than a true 4. Hopefully that Jonathon Lawrence recruit can be the next Rafferty!
bj93, furpep liked this
 #8817  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm
I think the staff would disagree with you about Slawson's role....and you say "enough G's!" yet who is the clear heir apparent and backup to Alex Hunter?
 #8818  by PaladinPower
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm
Maybe. It is hard to tell about Slawson when he has only had limited minutes. It would be great if he could contribute at the 4! I'd say Colin Kenney is the most fit PG to eventually fill in Hunter's role. Both Pugh and Bothwell can hopefully fill in as well. Just my 2 cents.
 #8821  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm
Our system and style values Gs that are multi-dimensional. Guys that can see the floor, pass, shoot, get to the rim and defend. If we have 2-3 guys on the floor at all times that can do those things we are going to be successful. A 4 person class with 2 versatile Gs, a wing and a big is a nice distribution sort of in proportion to how we play.

And Slawson is for sure being developed as a 4/5...
 #8823  by PaladinPower
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 pm
Fair points.

Didn’t know I was talking to someone on the coaching staff, but I disagree about Jalen being close to the 5. Guy is a SF/PF.
 #8824  by tya1
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm
There are a lot of online links concerning McIntosh. It is interesting that they can't seem to agree on his height. I have seen him listed as 6'1", 6'2", 6'3", and 6'4" at different times. The most recent comment was from mid-December and listed him at 6'4." He has been receiving more offers as well. Is that an indication of growth ?

Here are a few comments and links -
6-2 PG Hunter McIntosh (GAC) was lights out. The state champion guard with a 4.57 GPA and only a FGCU offer reveled in the head-to-head matchup with fellow elite guard, Mitch Ganote. McIntosh drilled 4 threes on his way to 22 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal. Though he might not have the same fanfare and the offers that other lead guards have, McIntosh is firmly entrenched in the discussion for best point guard in Georgia. He averaged 20 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.8 steals this season. His ability to control a game and score from all over the court makes him the ideal floor general. Expect Ivy League schools to start pulling the trigger soon. D-I schools will want to move quickly before they get left behind.
Assistant coach Doug Stewart watched closely as Tulane recently extended an offer to GAC guard Hunter McIntosh. There were times that McIntosh’s shot didn’t drop but that talent he has is evident as a division one talent. McIntosh guarded all five positions and would often start the possession guarding the other teams best post threat. Jacksonville State and Charleston Southern were also in attendance to watch McIntosh pick up his shooting more in the second half. With several guards getting snatched up in the early signing period, McIntosh remains a viable option for programs going forward.
Anytime a unsigned senior surpasses an NBA player on the schools all time points list, it has to be acknowledged. Huner McIntosh did exactly that as he jumped past NBA guard Malcom Brogdon on a way to a win this Saturday. McIntosh slid through the early signing period in which remains as one of the bigger head scratchers to date this season. Tulane has since offered the 6'4 guard that has put together a solid winter thus far. After watching him score 26 points this weekend, there's still a shortage of offers that have be given out to the GACS guard. Christmas seems like as good of a time as any.
LINK
LINK
LINK

(Learned something new just now. There is a limit of 3 urls per post.)
 #8825  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 pm
Fair points.

Didn’t know I was talking to someone on the coaching staff, but I disagree about Jalen being close to the 5. Guy is a SF/PF.
Join Roundball Club and get all the inside scoop...
PaladinPower, gman liked this
 #8828  by youwouldno
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm
Our system and style values Gs that are multi-dimensional. Guys that can see the floor, pass, shoot, get to the rim and defend. If we have 2-3 guys on the floor at all times that can do those things we are going to be successful. A 4 person class with 2 versatile Gs, a wing and a big is a nice distribution sort of in proportion to how we play.

And Slawson is for sure being developed as a 4/5...
After Jalen Williams, the team is on track to have zero guys that can physically match up with traditional post players . . . I get that a mid-major program can't recruit big guys like an LSU, but I think that's going too far in the other direction.

For instance, the WCU near-debacle . . . as soon as Rafferty was in foul trouble, their big guy became unstoppable. I don't like the strategy of just conceding that space to any opponent that has some size - which, by the way, will always include a good chunk of the SoCon. ETSU and UNC-G in particular have had post depth over the past couple seasons. That can be especially problematic in man defensive schemes.

Of course guard play is crucial, but is it really necessary to recruit 4 point guards in 2 years because Alex Hunter graduates in 2021? That doesn't make much sense to me. Next year's team would have 8 guards with only 1 of those being a senior. I get why Richey would do it, but I think he's being too risk-averse.
PaladinPower, furpep liked this
 #8829  by purplehorse
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 pm
Definitely need more “beef” underneath.

Unrelated -I know Bothwell has not gotten much playing time as a true freshmen but he needs to continue to improve.
furpep liked this
 #8835  by CharlieFU
 Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am
Both Bothwell and Pugh are far enough along to be playing more minutes than they are. But I trust Coach Richey and his staff to figure out who ought to be on the floor. Right now we have a solid 7 man rotation, with Bothwell being next up. As long as they aren't all playing 38-39 minutes a game we are good. Goal would be to have them at about 30 minutes each or so.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.