• Playoff Changes

#87901  by The Jackal
 Mon May 27, 2024 11:48 pm
The FCS is going to a 16 team seeded model for the upcoming season. I believe the goal was to do away with some of the regionalization and avoid some of the unfortunate second round matchups.

Just tinkering with last year's bracket, this is what the new format may have looked like using the final STATS poll of the regular season.

16. Mercer | 1. South Dakota State
Gardner Webb

9. North Dakota State | 8. Villanova
Drake

13. Southern Illinois | 4. Idaho
Nicholls

12. Austin Peay | 5. Albany
Youngstown State

14. Sacramento State | 3. South Dakota
Duquesne

11. North Dakota | 6. Montana State
Richmond

10. Delaware | 7. Furman
Lafayette

15. NC Central | 2. Montana
Chattanooga

This format wouldn't necessarily change much for some teams. Mercer, for instance, would still likely have had the same path. Furman would have, arguably, played a similar opponent (Delaware instead of UTC), but still gone to Montana.

It would prevent regionalization inherently giving an advantage to the CAA, which frequently benefits from playing weaker NEC/Patriot league teams early in the tournament.

Here, for example, Albany would potentially have Austin Peay, who finished ranked #13, instead of Richmond, who finished ranked #22. Furman as the #7 seed, would likely host #11 Delaware instead of #18 UTC.

Last season, Villanova was the #8 (and final seed), but arguably had one of the weaker second round matchup in hosting #21 Youngstown State. Under this format, they'd host top 10 NDSU in a much tougher game.
 #87905  by apaladin
 Tue May 28, 2024 9:52 am
I know they were talkng about seeding the top 16 instead of 8 is this now official?
 #87956  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:04 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 4:43 am
Scratch this. Still 24 teams. Ok
Yes still 24 and the biggest thing about that is you won’t necessarily have to play a close by team in the first round which has been the case most of the time.
 #88112  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Yes still 24 and the biggest thing about that is you won’t necessarily have to play a close by team in the first round which has been the case most of the time.
perhaps I am not seeing the full picture but that sounds good to me. You should get to play a team that you earned the right to play... not just because they are close by and perhaps better or worse than your recrod dictates
paladinfan12 liked this
 #88115  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
perhaps I am not seeing the full picture but that sounds good to me. You should get to play a team that you earned the right to play... not just because they are close by and perhaps better or worse than your recrod dictates
It won't make massive changes, I think, but it will avoid some of the annoying second round matchups where regionalization ends up putting teams in the circular firing squad.

Last season, for instance, Montana State got rewarded for earning the #6 seed by hosting a very good North Dakota State team that, arguably, could have been a seed.

2016 was also a good example. Wofford was ranked #9 and hosted #15 Charleston Southern. The Citadel got the winner of that game as a reward for being the #6 seed. It was a brutal way for the two best SoCon teams to settle matters - a game that really had no business being played but for the fact the two schools are in the same area.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.