• Richmond to Patriot League for Football

#87707  by Affirm
 Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 pm
Richmond is moving to the Patriot League for football. I think it is an obviously fantastic move for them. Great academic schools in Patriot League, just like Richmond is. Impressive.
One question is how is this going to affect CAA. What will W&M and Elon and other CAA schools do as a result of Richmond leaving?
Other than Elon and W&M, the only other remaining teams below Baltimore (Towson) will be Hampton and NCA&T and Campbell.
 #87708  by apaladin
 Wed May 15, 2024 12:16 am
Good move for Richmond to move toma much weaker league to get the auto bid every year or at least be the favorite. Don’t see any effect on the ones you mentioned. The CAA still has 14 members.
 #87709  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 15, 2024 12:49 am
Speculation that they might be able to pull W&M and Villanova with them.

IF…
…that happens, and…
…Holy Cross can stay good with losing their Head Coach, and…
…Fordham can stay competitive, and…
…Lafayette can continue with what appeared to be marked improvement recently, and…
…Lehigh and maybe even Colgate can climb back to the level they previously habitated…

…then, you got a pretty dang good and competitive FCS Football Conference.

Heck, FUBeAR could be even see E*Loan making that move too … since they imagine their campus is located somewhere in Central NJ and the CAA is in danger of looking a lot like the Big South Conference …
 #87713  by Paul C
 Wed May 15, 2024 8:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Good move for Richmond to move toma much weaker league to get the auto bid every year or at least be the favorite. Don’t see any effect on the ones you mentioned. The CAA still has 14 members.
If Furman did this you would hate it. I don’t understand
 #87714  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Assuming the IF’s FUBeAR listed previously in this thread come to pass AND we obtain teleportation as a safe and reliable form of transportation, though FUBeAR would hate for FU to leave the SoCon, he would enjoy facing an in-conference slate of (8 of ) Richmond, W&M, Villanova, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, or Fordham with a permanent OOC 9th game vs. the bellhops (our only traditional and ongoing rival).

That teleportation thing is kinda sticky, but FUBeAR is continuing with his personal R&D in that area. Donations are welcome.
 #87715  by Affirm
 Wed May 15, 2024 9:20 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Assuming the IF’s FUBeAR listed previously in this thread come to pass AND we obtain teleportation as a safe and reliable form of transportation, though FUBeAR would hate for FU to leave the SoCon, he would enjoy facing an in-conference slate of (8 of ) Richmond, W&M, Villanova, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, or Fordham with a permanent OOC 9th game vs. the bellhops (our only traditional and ongoing rival).

That teleportation thing is kinda sticky, but FUBeAR is continuing with his personal R&D in that area. Donations are welcome.
As is sometimes the case (quite often actually), I agree with you FUBeAR. ("Stay tuned", i.e., I hopefully have a new post coming soon on this same matter.)
 #87716  by Affirm
 Wed May 15, 2024 10:07 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 am
Richmond fans are not happy with the move. https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/thre ... ccounter=1
Post #33 in that link, 5/14 at 2:10 PM by "Wood Hall, Team Manager", included the following comments:
College football is devolving daily, it's getting out of control and ridiculously expensive. ...I'm OK with this decision....
Like-sized private universities that we have a lot in common with. We won't be fighting an uphill battle against public schools who can augment their rosters with cheap walk-ons. Guaranteed FCS playoff access. ...
Seven league opponents at the current time; I expect we might see a few more defections join us, like Villanova and W&M. If W&M doesn't join, we can still play them every year, and have room for a Furman or an Elon and the obligatory FBS body-bag game. Heck, maybe we'll even get a game against Army, they regularly play Patriot League teams....
Rather than dooming Spider football, this might be the move that saves it forever by making it much more cost-efficient. UR football was never, ever again going to be like I remembered it five decades ago, playing WVU, ECU, Tech, etc. The landscape has changed, and we have to change with it.
TO THAT, affirm WILL ADD THE FOLLOWING:
1. I think that Navy also is Patriot League, though not for football. Adding to Wood Hall's comment "...maybe we'll even get a game against Army ...", it seems reasonable for Richmond to hope also for being able to "...even get a game against Navy ...".
2. Academics. "You are known by the company you keep." I'm not quoting Wood Hall on that, but it is something that is often said and it is true. Furman is known as an "academic school", or at least wants to be known as that. This has been true for at least the last 60 years. The current college rankings by US News & World Report has the following schools ranked as shown:
National Liberal Arts Colleges:
Furman #48
Richmond #25
(Davidson, not a Patriot League school of course I know #15)
Colgate #21
Holy Cross #27
Bucknell #T30
Lafayette #T30
(Wofford #59)
(VMI #63)
(Navy #3, yes of course I realize they are FBS for football but I think they are Patriot League for everything else)
(Army #8, yes of course I realize they are FBS for football but I think they are Patriot League for everything else)
National Universities:
Georgetown #22
Lehigh #47
Fordham #89
(... and, by the way, Clemson is #86, Villanova is #67, and W&M is #53)
3. It has been interesting to learn, from the link provided by Roundball, that Richmond apparently had a choice between joining the SoCon for football only and joining the Patriot League for football only. When I first saw a headline, prior to anything else, the headline did not say what Richmond was moving to so I was disappointed when I read further and saw that it was not to the SoCon. And previously, I did not even know such considerations were going on.
4. I will not be surprised if W&M and Villanova both make the move to Patriot League for football only.
5. I am glad that Furman gets to play home and home series against both W&M and Richmond in the near future.
6. I will not be surprised if what happens in the long run turns out to be that Richmond will leave the Patriot League and join fellow A-10 member Davidson in the Pioneer League for football.
7. I am a little sad for the CAA.
8. Elon. I do not know what to think about Elon. Should we expect to see them join Richmond in Patriot League football? ...stay in the CAA for everything? ...join the SoCon for everything?
9. Oh and this, which I know can be seen both ways, good and bad: Richmond now gets to regularly have away games in Washington, DC (Georgetown), and in New York, New York (Bronx).
The end for now.
 #87717  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am
3. It has been interesting to learn, from the link provided by Roundball, that Richmond apparently had a choice between joining the SoCon for football only and joining the Patriot League for football only.
The link is to a fan board in which one post alludes that the article that FUBeAR will not pay to read says Richmond had such a choice. FUBeAR will not believe that to be the case until he hears it is true from inside SoCon and/or FU sources.

FUBeAR would imagine this was a complex discussion and involved multiple ’backchannel’ discussions with peeps from William & Mary, Villanova, and Elon, PL and SoCon Officials, as well as Athletics Dept peeps from schools in all 3 (CAA, PL, and SoCon) Conferences. Richmond peeps will want to present this as they were driving the bus and everyone wanted to take them to the prom, but FUBeAR understands there is such a thing as ‘spin’ in the world today.

Also … Army & Navy are both full members of the PL. They only have their (pretend) FBS Football programs elsewhere. Possible that all 3 Academies currently in FBS could move to FCS someday (soon) with AF going to the Big Sky.

Also2 … it seems Affirm’s teleportation prototype is further advanced than FUBeAR’s as Affirm seems to think the PL is currently a viable option for FU Athletics.
 #87721  by Affirm
 Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am
3. It has been interesting to learn, from the link provided by Roundball, that Richmond apparently had a choice between joining the SoCon for football only and joining the Patriot League for football only.
The link is to a fan board in which one post alludes that the article that FUBeAR will not pay to read says Richmond had such a choice. FUBeAR will not believe that to be the case until he hears it is true from inside SoCon and/or FU sources.

FUBeAR would imagine this was a complex discussion and involved multiple ’backchannel’ discussions with peeps from William & Mary, Villanova, and Elon, PL and SoCon Officials, as well as Athletics Dept peeps from schools in all 3 (CAA, PL, and SoCon) Conferences. Richmond peeps will want to present this as they were driving the bus and everyone wanted to take them to the prom, but FUBeAR understands there is such a thing as ‘spin’ in the world today.

Also … Army & Navy are both full members of the PL. They only have their (pretend) FBS Football programs elsewhere. Possible that all 3 Academies currently in FBS could move to FCS someday (soon) with AF going to the Big Sky.

Also2 … it seems Affirm’s teleportation prototype is further advanced than FUBeAR’s as Affirm seems to think the PL is currently a viable option for FU Athletics.
In 2, Affirm was talking about Richmond, not about Furman. The name Furman in that segment was to show a specific reference point for readers to better understand, by comparison to Furman's high ranking the relatively high, academic ranking (USN&WR National Liberal Arts Colleges ranking) that Richmond already has AND that Richmond is now moving to be more closely associated with by their football going to the Patriot League, a group with numerous schools having higher rankings than even Furman.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.