• (9-4) Citadel @ (13-2) Furman Jan. 5th

#8686  by tya1
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:33 pm
VMI lead much of the game today against UNCG but UNCG somehow snuck out with a three point win. Western Carolina was leading by eight a couple of minutes ago in their matchup with Samford, although Samford just cut it to four points.

Hope we are ready to play. Nothing easy in the conference.
 #8687  by furpop16
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:01 pm
Nice triple-digit game with a double-digit win. Game was a lot closer (& more entertaining!) than the score would show.
 #8688  by FU03times
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:38 pm
Amazing win. Great game for the whole team, and man, what a night for Matt, I cannot get enough of him. I’m already upset he’s graduating , his game is uncanny and so fun to watch!

I was so excited for the win until the last 3 seconds when Alex Reed pulled an extremely cheap and uncalled for move, stealing the ball from Brady Schuck to shoot a layup...that’s simply unnecessary and just helps absolutely no one, when Citadel is down by almost 20. Got me frustrated and feeling sorry for Brady who was playing against a team from his hometown for the last time at home and had to deal with a turnover in the last 3 seconds...broke my heart.
 #8689  by tim
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:07 pm
FU03times wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:38 pm
Amazing win. Great game for the whole team, and man, what a night for Matt, I cannot get enough of him. I’m already upset he’s graduating , his game is uncanny and so fun to watch!

I was so excited for the win until the last 3 seconds when Alex Reed pulled an extremely cheap and uncalled for move, stealing the ball from Brady Schuck to shoot a layup...that’s simply unnecessary and just helps absolutely no one, when Citadel is down by almost 20. Got me frustrated and feeling sorry for Brady who was playing against a team from his hometown for the last time at home and had to deal with a turnover in the last 3 seconds...broke my heart.
Typical Bellhop move.
 #8690  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:22 pm
Fun game but too close for too long. Great crowd, I heard they were turning people away which is a shame when we could have seats available. First time this season I have seen both end zone sections full. The attendance was 2,462 so we obviously have only 2,500 seats available. I always thought we had about 3,000 at least . I seem to remember some games over 3,000.
 #8691  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm
BR said best crowd he had ever seen with the students not there. I agree. Of course part of that was due to Bulldogs in the Upstate.

There are always empty seats in the middle where season-tickets holders are not there.

Won’t win many games when Alex Hunter (2 for 9), Lyons (3 for 10) and Brown (1 for 5) are a combined 25 % on 3’s.

Team play however results in Clark, Mounce and Gurley each being 2 for 4 from 3 (50%).

I still say this team will largely live or die by the 3.

Good D most of the time.

53-28 edge on the boards and 20-3 edge on offensive boards was big.

Rafferty is amazing when other team does now dwarf us with height and bulk.
 #8696  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 pm
Rafferty has to be leader for POY.

I did not realize until game was over that the Frierson kid only had ONE 3—largely due to Lyons’ defense.

And Tre did a great job in second half on Stallworth, who is a real stud. Thank goodness he only has this season before he is done.

Mounce has not been scoring lately so glad to see him hit a couple of 3’s. But he does so much more. Tip in’s and rebounds.

I am ALWAYS nervous before a Citadel game. Very dangerous.
 #8703  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm
We had 5 players make at least 2 three pointers.

I just really like Clay Mounce. Coach says he gets down on himself and does not realize how good he is. As his confidence grows, watch out.
 #8708  by tya1
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm
The first half was a little frustrating at times, but I wasn't overly concerned. We only hit 25% of our threes, most of which were wide open looks. Meanwhile the Citadel was shooting a little better than normal. When we began hitting some shots the game opened up.
And Tre did a great job in second half on Stallworth, who is a real stud.

Full agreement on that. Did Stallworth hit a shot while Clark was guarding him?
I still say this team will largely live or die by the 3.
We hit right at our season averages for shooting stats and won by 16. It would be more accurate to say that when we shoot poorly we can struggle. Of course, that is true for almost every team at any level.
 #8717  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 am
Great effort. Good teams close out opponents at home.

I will routinely admit to my lack of basketball knowledge, but it was plainly apparent that Citadel had no answer for Matt Rafferty. The Bulldogs had their best player on him most of the night and he was completely outclassed in the paint.

Also, whoever is yelling over Dan Scott's shoulder at everyone - your boisterousness comes through the broadcast and is distracting. Take it down a notch.
 #8718  by CharlieFU
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 am
Great effort. Good teams close out opponents at home.

I will routinely admit to my lack of basketball knowledge, but it was plainly apparent that Citadel had no answer for Matt Rafferty. The Bulldogs had their best player on him most of the night and he was completely outclassed in the paint.

Also, whoever is yelling over Dan Scott's shoulder at everyone - your boisterousness comes through the broadcast and is distracting. Take it down a notch.
I think you just guaranteed that the “boisterousness” will get much worse.
 #8733  by MNORM
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:54 pm
If you thought Mercer's coach whined a lot, just wait for the explosion of profanity from citadel's head coach.
I've heard a handful of people comment that he's a classy/good guy...I've yet to see it. It's guys like Baucom that make you appreciate Bob Richey even more.
 #8736  by stonemd
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Baucom seemed really mellow He did have an assistant that screamed loudly.

I disagree that our fans need to be quieter. That was one of the funnier things I've read on this board,

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.